PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one who does NOT want Welker back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for dumping Welker. Just find me a younger player that has this and I sign on the dotted line.

receptions 2nd-118, yards 8th- 1354, 1st downs 6th-72.

Minus the 2 HUGE game changing drops in the most important games to date in his career. Send him to Denver with Peyton they are a match made in Heaven.

Per @adamschefter Wes Welker was shopping for a new pair of gloves but each kept slipping off. #butterfingersarementtobeeating #cantbelieveitsnotbutter

If I agreed with you, I might change my mind just because your jokes are so damned unfunny.

Minus the 2 HUGE game changing drops in the most important games to date in his career. Send him to Denver with Peyton they are a match made in Heaven.

Per @adamschefter Wes Welker was shopping for a new pair of gloves but each kept slipping off. #butterfingersarementtobeeating #cantbelieveitsnotbutter

Given that Welker was nowhere near the biggest issue in the Ravens game, I assume you're all for getting rid of the entirety of: Hernandez, Brady, Lloyd, Vollmer, Connolly, Wendell, Vereen, Ridley, Spikes, Hightower, Gregory, Gronk, McDaniels and Belichick as well, right?

I'm firmly in the depends on the money camp. I was however very impressed by his post season this year. People want to focus in on a bad drop and another catch they think he should've had, but he was very effective in both games. Add to that that he was taking over the punt returning duties, and doing a very good job of it, I don't understand how these POs would have a negative effect on people's views of WW. Hopefully he's still sporting the flying elvis next season.

We can of course replace him with a more productive receiver.

Tell me when Calvin Johnson can get here. OK, I'll settle for Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Considering age, I might go for AJ Green too.

I'm firmly in the depends on the money camp. I was however very impressed by his post season this year. People want to focus in on a bad drop and another catch they think he should've had, but he was very effective in both games. Add to that that he was taking over the punt returning duties, and doing a very good job of it, I don't understand how these POs would have a negative effect on people's views of WW. Hopefully he's still sporting the flying elvis next season.

I agree. Welker's career playoff numbers:

9 games
69 receptions
686 yards
9.94 ypc
4 TDs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WelkWe00/gamelog/post/

Project that out to a 16 game season and you've got

123 receptions
1220 yards
9.94 ypc
7 TDs

That's one hell of a season against the top competition. Not wanting that back seems insane. Then again, we're largely looking at people who are focused on a drop in one-two games while completely ignoring the excellent catches made in those same games.

Given that we have 3 big FA's on the roster.
Anything that can happen to keep two of them on the roster is a good thing.
Welker is the number one priority imho. Some say Talib.

If keeping welker means we can't keep one of Vollmer or Talib thats probably too much.

probably not rational but its the only way I an rationalise it.

Still want him here badly though, and am hopeful of a deal.

Welker is a fine receiver, but the patriots need to move in a direction if he asks for too much money.

This is the Lawyer Milloy situation all over again.......And the patriots replaced him.

Lawyer Milloy was a 3x all pro and a team captain.

So how much should the Pats pay Welker this offseason?

I have said it many times, 4-40, with 20 guaranteed, which is really like 3-30 with a club option and very little risk. Brady probably has 4 more really good seasons in him, maximizing the opportunity for Lombardi's during that time should be priority number 1, and taking away his most productive weapon is the worst approach possible if that is the goal.

If they can get Welker to agree to a deal for less then I am fine with that, and if it is something like 4-32 with 20 guaranteed then they are getting a stea because his production commands much much more than that.

Wes Welker has performed like a HOF player for the Patriots, yetany here act like he is worth next to nothing, it's an embarrassment to all Patriot fans, and really makes them look like they absolutely nothing about football. According to Brady he is the best player he has ever played with, and it doesn't get higher than that when it comes to praise.

I have said it many times, 4-40, with 20 guaranteed, which is really like 3-30 with a club option and very little risk. Brady probably has 4 more really good seasons in him, maximizing the opportunity for Lombardi's during that time should be priority number 1, and taking away his most productive weapon is the worst approach possible if that is the goal.

If they can get Welker to agree to a deal for less then I am fine with that, and if it is something like 4-32 with 20 guaranteed then they are getting a stea because his production commands much much more than that.

Wes Welker has performed like a HOF player for the Patriots, yetany here act like he is worth next to nothing, it's an embarrassment to all Patriot fans, and really makes them look like they absolutely nothing about football. According to Brady he is the best player he has ever played with, and it doesn't get higher than that when it comes to praise.

So basically you want to give him $10m a year? Seems excessive.

Not at all. Im for getting rid of WR'S who cant catch balls in crunch time. Wes is a system wr easily replaceable. Plus we have enough guys to dominate the middle of the field we dont need a aging wr who cant make that catch to get his team to the next lvl. Per @adamschefter @weswelker has use speaker phone for now on cause he drops his phone to much #icantbelieveitsnotbuttah

Ok, so you've basically got nothing beyond baying rage at the wrong guy.

Got it.

If the Patriots pay Wes Welker $10 million dollars a year, there is virtually no chance at getting an outside free agent.

...Which I prefer anyway, as this team needs a draft pick to come in and be that deep threat. I don't want Bowe, Jennings, or any other clown.

Wes Welker is a great player.

I hope we can keep him, but I believe his production can be replaced by our tight ends and Julian Edelman if the team moves forward without him. Good teams can defend this offense with Wes Welker as our primary target.

The offense needs a small tweak again this offseason. BB needs to decide what he wants to commit to the running game with Ridley & Vereen in 2013. Does he sign a veteran who he can trust to handle 15-20 touches between the tackles (Steven Jackson) or is he going to trust one of the two we have? There's been too much inconsistency in the running game since Dillon left, and I think it's a lack of trust by the coaching staff. We only run to close out games or against light sub packages. We rarely stick to the run game against a standard "heavy 7" like we did with Dillon and even A. Smith

And there's a lot to be said about what size, strength and physicality can bring to a passing game...This team desperately needs that outside the numbers.

I want Welker back, but not as a primary target, nor as a $10 mill per year investment.

Do you people realize how LITTLE the Patriots have paid Welker for the type of production he's put up for YEARS? It's really quite embarrassing.

In 2007, the Patriots signed Welker to a 5-year $18.1 million contract...that's $3.62 million a year for 5 years. During that time, the only season he didn't have WELL over 100 receptions was in 2010, the year after he tore his MCL and ACL in week 17. He STILL had 86 catches in 2010.

During this 5-year stretch, Wes Welker has had the MOST receptions and the 4th most yards of any receiver in the NFL. Again, he's making $3.62 million a year during this 5-YEAR stretch. Are you kidding me? It's true. They could have rewarded him for all the value he brought beyond his contract but they didn't.

Then the Patriots FINALLY showed him the money he deserved (for a long time) last year...but they didn't give him a contract...they franchised him only for one year. What if he had a career-ending injury this year?

If I'm Wes Welker, I'm chasing the money at this point in my career. The Patriots simply have not done right by him FOR SIX YEARS, basically. Now you see a whole bunch of Patriot fans wanting to low-ball him again, after he has not been payed his due EVER? I don't think so.

If nothing else, the Patriots owe it to him for what he has ALREADY done and not be compensated for.

Also, Welker never complained about any of this.

As far as I can see, Welker has already been had at an unreal discount, and he shouldn't settle for another one. Pay him what he deserves FINALLY, or he should go elsewhere.

If nothing else, the Patriots owe it to him for what he has ALREADY done and not be compensated for.
If there weren't a salary cap, then sure. He has definitely outplayed his past contract. But that's not how things work. Every dollar you use to overpay Welker based on past production rather than future expectations in one less dollar to use to convince a fourth year player to stick around through his prime. From this point onward, the Pats need to spend their cap money how they think it best helps the team. Using that money to overpay Welker because they didn't pay him enough early in his career is not how they do that.

I don't mind if Welker comes back, but he cannot be the #1 option in this offense. He needs a guy like Moss that can provide a big play, draw double teams, and catch while covered. Even better if they can get a big receiver over 6 feet in height and a speedy receiver. I don't mind Welker going if they can get some depth and size/speed at the position and if they can resign Talib too.

Losing a 100 catch a year player in Welker would be tough, but if it means getting back a few receivers that can stretch the field, I'm all for it.

I don't mind if Welker comes back, but he cannot be the #1 option in this offense. He needs a guy like Moss that can provide a big play, draw double teams, and catch while covered. Even better if they can get a big receiver over 6 feet in height and a speedy receiver. I don't mind Welker going if they can get some depth and size/speed at the position and if they can resign Talib too.

Losing a 100 catch a year player in Welker would be tough, but if it means getting back a few receivers that can stretch the field, I'm all for it.
What's wrong with Gronk or Hernandez as the #1 option?

Patriots now offering Welker less than they offered last year | ProFootballTalk

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 17, 2012, 1:31 PM EST

Getty ImagesPatriots receiver Wes Welker has signed his franchise tender and is in the fold for the 2012 season, but that doesn’t mean he’s satisfied with the way negotiations on a long-term contract have gone.

In fact, Welker says the Patriots are now offering him less money than the two-year, $16 million, fully guaranteed deal they offered during the 2011 season.
I would not be surprised whatsoever if the New England Patriots come back with the same offer once again.

:confused:

Mankins coming back has worked out fine. He's the team's best offensive lineman.

As for Welker, nobody's brought up the other alternative, in terms of lowering cap hit, which is to sign him for a [highlight]longer[/highlight] contract in order to push some of the money into later, unguaranteed, years. This team is very cap savvy. If they want to keep Welker and still have money for other moves, they can manipulate the numbers enough to do it. Also, just winning on the Fanene claim would more than offset any Welker money uptick.

Wes ain't stupid, he won't sign a contract for funny money, especially after last year's negotiations. In my opinion, you'd have to guarantee most of his contract. Plus, the Pats will get outbid if they take that tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes