PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one that's weirded out by this? (Jersey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brownfan80 said:
Right.

Soccer is huge in the rest of the world. And if I wanted to watch Man-U or whatever play a game, I'd probably have to travel somewhere.

Yeah, you'd have to travel very far, like to...Gillette Stadium, where Man U. recently played.

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
I don't mind so much that the NFL/Patriots are doing this for an exhibition game. I just don't like the idea of going abroad for a regular season game. It's not fair for a team to give up a home game (and make a long trip) just for NFL marketing purposes.

+1, Right. That would be ripping off the season ticket holders. It ain't gonna happen.

shmessy said:
You don't see the ironic meaning to that symbol???????????

Nobody has caught it?

I think it's freaking beautiful, and scary accurate at the same time.

Better than Bledsoe?

PatsFanInVa said:
Screw that. To date Football (real football) is an American game, but Germany is in love with it. We've also got Brits on this board that actually prefer it to soccer... It's no skin off my teeth whether we beat the Eagles or Panthers or Rams, or Shanghai or Berlin or Tokyo (one day, anyway.)

So what if it's cashing in on the Chinese market... the NFL is all about cashing in on markets. They're thinking of cashing in on a non-English speaking market already, in LA.

PFnV

Exactly. First off, there wouldn't even be a game of football if Rugby wasn't imported to the states. We just took that game and improved it.

Your LA joke reminds me of a talk I had with my friend. He was ordering a custom electric guitar from a shop in California. I said to him, just buy the Mexican import version. Same materials for a 1k less. He said to me, he's buying it for the craftsmanship. I said you have 2 choices, and both of them involve the sole use of Mexican craftsman.

upstater1 said:
Better than Bledsoe?

Exactly! Not only that, but the symbolism of the 11 is that it is sideways - - lying prone, going nowhere. The + symbol reflects improvement and positive vibes.

It's a very beautiful and ironic thing folks!

NFL is becoming popular in many countries. When I was on vacation in Colombia 2 years ago, I was able to watch the Monday Night Football games on local channel. NFL is becomming very popular in Europe and England. Here is the Patriots fan club of England: www.ukpatriots.com

Someone mentioned that the Chinese have no clue as to our sport. If memory serves me correctly, it was Thailand who won the flag football championship. Pretty impressive for a non american team not to win. I believe the game in China will be sold out.

LasVegasPatsFan said:
NFL is becoming popular in many countries. When I was on vacation in Colombia 2 years ago, I was able to watch the Monday Night Football games on local channel. NFL is becomming very popular in Europe and England. Here is the Patriots fan club of England: www.ukpatriots.com

I'm surprised you guys picked that up on your radar. Hi by the way, first time poster, long time lurker here. British as well, and I actually found this site through there, where I'm also registered.

The game is getting bigger and bigger and bigger over here each year, and with Sky TV showing 4 games every Sunday night, and Channel 5 showing the Monday Night Football, the NFL is getting a lot of air-time.

Your post made me smile as well, it makes me laugh when I hear Yanks labelling the whole of the Uk as 'England' - I'm sure a few million Scots, Welsh and Ulstermen would be seriously pissed off at that :)

PATSNUTme said:
The first person I see wearing that, I'm going to piss on.

Unless they are a lot bigger and stonger than me or don't like to be pissed on or are female or a kid.

I guess that leaves Stephen Hawkings as the only one that has to look out.

R

upstater1 said:
Yeah, you'd have to travel very far, like to...Gillette Stadium, where Man U. recently played.

I live in Florida, that's really far@!!!!@#

Tunescribe said:
I'll bet Chinese people don't even understand the concept of wearing replica jerseys.

Don't bet your house. The Chinese know well what shirtsellers are, and even in spite of the players' rubbish play or non-play, they still buy Premiership jerseys in small fits of national pride. I'd also look out for knock-off Brady jerseys that one can buy for $5 with $40 in shipping on Ebay following the game.

What's more, the Chinese use OUR NUMBERING SYSTEM for jerseys/shirts used in international athletic competitions.

So, you're either Hindu or Arabic?

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
So, the Noodle Bowl is stale already, huh?
I thought the weird cartoon big headed mascot things dancing at halftime was bad enough, but this Jersey? Worse.

Yeah, those generic mascot things were a blatant rip-off of the Japanese Pokemon characters. About as endearing as garlic breath. I hope none of those jerseys sell; talk about coldly calculated commodity marketing.

shmessy said:
Exactly! Not only that, but the symbolism of the 11 is that it is sideways - - lying prone, going nowhere. The + symbol reflects improvement and positive vibes.

It's a very beautiful and ironic thing folks!
'
I think you're on to something about Brady's Chinese jersey. The sideways 11 symbolizes Bledsoe after he was knocked out by Moe Lewis. the + symbol indicaates how much of an improvement Brady was after he took over the job. It definitely IS symbolic! :)

Last edited:
upstater1 said:
Brownfan80 said:
Right.

Soccer is huge in the rest of the world. And if I wanted to watch Man-U or whatever play a game, I'd probably have to travel somewhere.

Ermm... just to clarify things, Manchester United went on a preseason tour of the states a few summers ago. They made stops in the Meadowlands, Chicago, Philly, Seattle, and LA, I think, but I'm for sure they never went to Foxboro.

Still your point is valid. Many of the top European soccer clubs go on preseason tours to not only America, but to Malaysia, Japan, South Africa, etc. I see no harm in the NFL doing the same.

Last edited:
Spreading football to other countries isn't a bad idea. The NFL knows it has to keep expanding or it will lose momentum in its growth. China is the perfect venue to do that in.

I can say; however, from experience that after flying back from Vietnam through China, I had some serious jet lag for a couple of weeks.

Tunescribe said:
Excellent point! Where is the novelty for them to buy something totally foreign that's been bastardized for their own culture? I'll bet Chinese people don't even understand the concept of wearing replica jerseys.
My friends and colleagues in China love the NBA and wear replica jerseys. And that started before Yao Ming came here.

Just a lame aside- when I was in India in January there was a local Indian guy in my hotel wearing a Pats shirt. I excitedly went up to him to ask him about it, but he had no idea what it was. His wife bought it for him because she liked the colors. He didn't even know where New England is. I think I scared him.

jefmblrd said:
Spreading football to other countries isn't a bad idea. The NFL knows it has to keep expanding or it will lose momentum in its growth. China is the perfect venue to do that in.

I can say; however, from experience that after flying back from Vietnam through China, I had some serious jet lag for a couple of weeks.
You get used to it, especially on a short teip. They'll probably be screwed up the whole time there but be OK after a couple days back here.

I have been traveling to China for 10 years - 4 trips a year. The flight in Business and even First Class is long and brutal.

Coming home is the WORST! The second day I am always flat OUT exhausted for the next 4 days. I've tried to sleep on the plane, not sleep on the plane, noise canceling headphones, and all tricks of the trade from other experienced travelers. The 12 hour time difference is the killer. You body just has a hard time adjusting to that sort of difference.

My trips usually are 2-4 weeks and I still have a hard time. The shorter trips (shortest I have done was 5 days) -was more brutal since my body was still adjusting from the arrival. Just not fun. I can't imagine what this would be like for an athlete trying to get back on schedule. My sleep is off for at least a full week and sometimes more.

Regarding football in China. I actually catch many games when I am there. ESPN is worldwide as are many of our Networks and football is usually on. I think the response to football will be good. The Chinese are amazed by the size of our football players. I know that many of my friends in China have checked out the Chinese Pats website when I told them about it and they seemed to really get into it.

Funny thing is I actually saw a Tom Brady Nike ad in Hong Kong this past spring. A good size poster on a very busy shopping street. There were several tourists taking pictures of it - the tourists were mainly Asian.

Last edited:
Drewwho said:
I have been traveling to China for 10 years - 4 trips a year. The flight in Business and even First Class is long and brutal.

Coming home is the WORST! The second day I am always flat OUT exhausted for the next 4 days. I've tried to sleep on the plane, not sleep on the plane, noise canceling headphones, and all tricks of the trade from other experienced travelers. The 12 hour time difference is the killer. You body just has a hard time adjusting to that sort of difference.
It's funny, I go 4 times a year also but I have almost no problems with jet lag either way. What I find really helps is working out vigorously the first couple days after landing. That, plus heavy drinking improves everything.

My boss, though, has terrible jet lag every trip, and he's been doing it longer than I have. I guess some people just have an easier time with it than others.

Brownfan80 said:
Um, yeah, I hope they don't have to wear these in the 'Noodle Bowl' next year:

ChineseT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes