PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one that's weirded out by this? (Jersey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bella*chick said:
The visual on this one is cracking me up.

It's so funny, your comment about being the face of football. I guess we must be, but over here, I would say the face of football based on what is shoved in my face every day is the Mannings. Why can't they ship them over? I could get behind that.

Oh, that's one time when I'd be fully behind Manning's self promoting as well. If only.

Actually didn't he make a trip overseas for a pre-season game in the past couple seasons? I'm nearly positive he did.

Bella*chick said:
The visual on this one is cracking me up.

It's so funny, your comment about being the face of football. I guess we must be, but over here, I would say the face of football based on what is shoved in my face every day is the Mannings. Why can't they ship them over? I could get behind that.

Peyton's Colts played in Japan to start their preseason last year. You can see how badly it affected them once their season started. :D

slam said:
Peyton's Colts played in Japan to start their preseason last year. You can see how badly it affected them once their season started. :D

Ah yes, that's what I was remembering, thank you.

The thing is that the chinese use roman numerals like everyone else around the world. If you look at the Chinese basketball, soccer, whatever teams, none of them look this weird! It's really the name that should be in chinese anyways..........

Oh, he did? Must have slipped my mind with my near pathological need to ignore him. Well, see, he's experienced with this overseas stuff...he should go again.:p

BamBam said:
The thing is that the chinese use roman numerals like everyone else around the world. If you look at the Chinese basketball, soccer, whatever teams, none of them look this weird! It's really the name that should be in chinese anyways..........

Er, that's Arabic numerals. Roman Numerals would be "Brady XII". Come to think of it, I would buy THAT jersey. Do they sell those in Rome?

slam said:
Er, that's Arabic numerals. Roman Numerals would be "Brady XII". Come to think of it, I would buy THAT jersey. Do they sell those in Rome?

Not yet....

Just wait for the Tom Brady Cardinal Robe (Vatican Edition). That'll sell like hotcakes.

I think it's great that the team has made an effort to expand the game in China. I'm planning on getting one of the t-shirts. While there are some travel logitical problems, its not something that's going to put a damber on the season.

as long as that says '12', I think it's pretty cool!

BamBam said:

That would suck waking up Monday morning trying to read the box score in roman numerals. :confused:

Brownfan80 said:
This might sound wrong, but I should be able to buy my own name because it's OUR GAME.

We're the home market, we can do with it what we want. I just don't like the image of our game being changed to sell in another market. Maybe that's just me being prejudiced without realizing it, but football is an American game.

If they wanted to get 'Ichiromoto Yajmagurio' on a customized jersey I wouldn't care squat, but an official product being put out that's altered just to sell to another market?

It gives me the icks.

How is he doing, anyway?

Brownfan80 said:
haha, I love it. I don't know I guess I am acting Curmudgeony about it, but with so many things getting outsourced or imported, I just don't want Football to be one of them.

I secretly LIKE it when people from overseas are aghast that we play 'football' using our hands.

No, we are EXPORTING this, not importing it. We import EVERYTHING else in our lives from China, so this is just an attempt to balance the trade defecit.

Get with the program!

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yer nuts. That jersey is tight with a capital T, baby. Ya bunch of xenophobic curmudgeons. :D

I like the "+ and sideways 11" better than "12". I'm buying one right now.

Can we get all the jersey's in Chinese numbers?

Lloyd_Christmas said:
No, we are EXPORTING this, not importing it. We import EVERYTHING else in our lives from China, so this is just an attempt to balance the trade defecit.

Get with the program!

Ahhh.. I completely misunderstood.. Well, then, my only request is that export the real version of the product. But I am fully behind this movement now.

;)

zippo59 said:
I watch a fair amount of TV and I have yet to come across a sumo wrestling match. I'm not doubting that they're there, but just that they're on such remote and obscure channels.

ESPN2 has shown sumo matches.

Brownfan80 said:
Granted, but maybe you didn't notice the '+ and sideways 11' where Tom's '12' should be.

It's just weird to me that they'd change the actual jersey itself just to market it in a new area.

Tom's number is '12', not '+ sideways 11', they should buy his jersey with '12' on it.

If other markets and cultures are going to be targeted I'd much rather see them buy into the version of football that is currently out there, rather than football being changed to appeal to a new market.

You don't see the ironic meaning to that symbol???????????

Nobody has caught it?

I think it's freaking beautiful, and scary accurate at the same time.

Tunescribe said:
Excellent point! Where is the novelty for them to buy something totally foreign that's been bastardized for their own culture? I'll bet Chinese people don't even understand the concept of wearing replica jerseys. What's more, the Chinese use OUR NUMBERING SYSTEM for jerseys/shirts used in international athletic competitions. This who episode is starting to smell like week-old chop suey. You'd think that getting a team in Los Angeles would be higher priority.

Well, judging by all the Chinese fans in the stands at a soccer match wearing the team's jerseys, I'd say they get it. The world is much smaller than most people realize. I see rappers wearing Nashville Predator sweaters all the time. I highly doubt they watch Nashville Predator games. This is more of the same thing. In fact, I think it would have been cool if they tried to spell Brady in Chinese, although given that it's a pictographic language, I'd imagine you'd have to draw a horseshoe and a horse's butt with a giant Patriot boot jammed in it.

Brownfan80 said:
I understand that it is the translated version of "12" in 'simple chinese' much as my new signature is Brownfan80 with the 80 in simple chinese, but that isn't the language the sport is played in. They should buy the real items, no? Many products that are sold on american shelves are covered with Japanese and Chinese. A Patriots Jersey should not be one of these items.

The language the sport is played in? You mean ebonics? Heck, the numbers on Brady's regular jersey are arabic.

Jacky Roberts said:
Personally, I'm disgusted by Kraft's decision to play in China. He makes such an issue of players of high quality and he signs off on a deal to play his team in a country that has probably the worst oppression of its citizens in the world? Disgusting. I won't watch this game.

Wow, worst oppression in the world? Have you been to China? It's a freakin' capitalist's free for all over there. You have more crazy things going on than anywhere else these days. Unless you're talking about Tibet. If you want to protest the Chinese, stop shopping at Walmart.

Screw that. To date Football (real football) is an American game, but Germany is in love with it. We've also got Brits on this board that actually prefer it to soccer... It's no skin off my teeth whether we beat the Eagles or Panthers or Rams, or Shanghai or Berlin or Tokyo (one day, anyway.)

So what if it's cashing in on the Chinese market... the NFL is all about cashing in on markets. They're thinking of cashing in on a non-English speaking market already, in LA.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye