PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one that's weirded out by this? (Jersey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bella*chick said:
I don't like this either. I'm not even sure I can articulate why, but it just feels wrong. And that IS a hell of a trip to take and it seems completely unnecessary. I know this is a totally naive thing to say, but doesn't the NFL make enough money here as it is?

Big Business = You can never have enough money.

SamBam39 said:
I'm afraid this is only the beginning my friends.

You see, the world is an untapped market

Like Los Angeles? :)

Personally, I'm disgusted by Kraft's decision to play in China. He makes such an issue of players of high quality and he signs off on a deal to play his team in a country that has probably the worst oppression of its citizens in the world? Disgusting. I won't watch this game.

Brownfan80 said:
I understand that it is the translated version of "12" in 'simple chinese' much as my new signature is Brownfan80 with the 80 in simple chinese, but that isn't the language the sport is played in. They should buy the real items, no? Many products that are sold on american shelves are covered with Japanese and Chinese. A Patriots Jersey should not be one of these items.

Sorry, I don't have the signature views turned on.

Are we against all the non-real merchandise? Like the customized jerseys that you can buy that you can get to read "Brownfan80" instead of a real player's name? I'm not gonna spend $300 on it, but I don't see why somebody else shouldn't.

Why does any of this hurt us, or the team?

Brownfan80 said:
Big Business = You can never have enough money.

I know. I just wish it wasn't our team being carted off to China as part of it. Oddly, it gives us camaraderie with the Seahawks, as they are in the same boat.

I guess I just think if the rest of the world was as interested in American football, they would have demonstrated it more by now. I just don't get the feeling they really are, with the exception of a few. Just like I couldn't really care less about soccer despite the rest of the world's adoration.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
Personally, I'm disgusted by Kraft's decision to play in China. He makes such an issue of players of high quality and he signs off on a deal to play his team in a country that has probably the worst oppression of its citizens in the world? Disgusting. I won't watch this game.

Now this is a great point that I haven't thought of before. Maybe he can use it as a platform for change, but for now it looks like hypocracy.

Chinese don't use characters this way, for numbers on sports teams etc...they use numbers like we do. It's just an easy way to try and get more $$ but it does look silly.

Chinese don't follow football at all and it's a bit silly going there to play 2 games...no one will understand what the hell is going on and they will just go if they give out free tickets (which i am sure they will)...beijing will want to make it look good, as is typical for chinese culture.

slam said:
Sorry, I don't have the signature views turned on.

Are we against all the non-real merchandise? Like the customized jerseys that you can buy that you can get to read "Brownfan80" instead of a real player's name? I'm not gonna spend $300 on it, but I don't see why somebody else shouldn't.

Why does any of this hurt us, or the team?

This might sound wrong, but I should be able to buy my own name because it's OUR GAME.

We're the home market, we can do with it what we want. I just don't like the image of our game being changed to sell in another market. Maybe that's just me being prejudiced without realizing it, but football is an American game.

If they wanted to get 'Ichiromoto Yajmagurio' on a customized jersey I wouldn't care squat, but an official product being put out that's altered just to sell to another market?

It gives me the icks.

Bella*chick said:
I know. I just wish it wasn't our team being carted off to China as part of it. Oddly, it gives us camaraderie with the Seahawks, as they are in the same boat.

I guess I just think if the rest of the world was as interested in American football, they would have demonstrated it more by now. I just don't get the feeling they really are, with the exception of a few. Just like I couldn't really care less about soccer despite the rest of the world's adoration.

Right.

Soccer is huge in the rest of the world. And if I wanted to watch Man-U or whatever play a game, I'd probably have to travel somewhere.

If I want to watch soccer in the US we've got our own teams here. So if they want football, they should get their own teams. Lord knows they've done it with baseball.

I agree with you completely about it being the Pats that have to get carted overseas. But I guess we're sort of the face of football right now in a way. Bleh.

Yer nuts. That jersey is tight with a capital T, baby. Ya bunch of xenophobic curmudgeons. :D

Who is going to broadcast this game in America anyway? It's pre-season, so the playbook are limited as it is. Now throw in the fact that they play each other back to back with a 14 hour plane ride in between. (yawn)

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yer nuts. That jersey is tight with a capital T, baby. Ya bunch of xenophobic curmudgeons. :D

Stop worrying about Chinese Jerseys and start worrying about your Blue Silk Underpants. Plan ahead so that Sunday isn't an issue this week.

;)

Hey... I got my woman and my underwear issues under control, as evidenced by the Cincinnati results. Curmudgeon.

Bargod said:
Who is going to broadcast this game in America anyway? It's pre-season, so the playbook are limited as it is. Now throw in the fact that they play each other back to back with a 14 hour plane ride in between. (yawn)

I say that they all just sit down and take a nap at mid-field as an act of defiance for the long plane ride.

That'd sell the game in China, for sure.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Hey... I got my woman and my underwear issues under control, as evidenced by the Cincinnati results. Curmudgeon.

Haha, I'm too young to be a curmudgeon I think. But that's good to hear that you've got your priorities straight. Big relief from this end. It's a division game for craps sake.

FreeTedWilliams said:
That trip to China and back is absolutely BRUTAL!! Even on a chartered plane it is @ 14 hour trip from Boston.

I guarentee that it costs us an early season game, next year.

We'll have four more preseason games to get over it before the real season starts.

zippo59 said:
I watch a fair amount of TV and I have yet to come across a sumo wrestling match.

ESPN2 broadcasts sumo wrestling occasionally. It's pretty fun to watch, IMO.

Brownfan80 said:
Haha, I'm too young to be a curmudgeon I think.
Curmudgeonosity, like age, is a state of mind. :D

(I love it when I get to make up words)

Brownfan80 said:
I say that they all just sit down and take a nap at mid-field as an act of defiance for the long plane ride.

That'd sell the game in China, for sure.

The visual on this one is cracking me up.

It's so funny, your comment about being the face of football. I guess we must be, but over here, I would say the face of football based on what is shoved in my face every day is the Mannings. Why can't they ship them over? I could get behind that.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Curmudgeonosity, like age, is a state of mind. :D

(I love it when I get to make up words)

haha, I love it. I don't know I guess I am acting Curmudgeony about it, but with so many things getting outsourced or imported, I just don't want Football to be one of them.

I secretly LIKE it when people from overseas are aghast that we play 'football' using our hands.

I don't mind so much that the NFL/Patriots are doing this for an exhibition game. I just don't like the idea of going abroad for a regular season game. It's not fair for a team to give up a home game (and make a long trip) just for NFL marketing purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back