PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one that's weirded out by this? (Jersey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Um, yeah, I hope they don't have to wear these in the 'Noodle Bowl' next year:

Attachments

• ImgDyn.cfm.jpg
    ImgDyn.cfm.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 915
Last edited:
Re: I'm I the only one that's weirded out by this? (Jersey)

The Krafts are getting too carried away with their attempts to cash in in China. I hope the protests continue about putting games outside the US.

I hate the fact that my favorite team is leading the way in this crap :mad:

BelichickFan said:

I'm with you. It really has nothing to do with serving the team's true fans and makes the Patriots a marketing pawn. Football is completely foreign to Chinese culture in so many ways; we'll all be dead and gone before a thousand of them learn what pass interference means.

BelichickFan said:

I'm afraid this is only the beginning my friends.

In the future, it will be the INFL - International Football League.

I see us with Tokyo and London on our schedule in the distant future.

You see, the world is an untapped market, with lots and lots of money to be made, and this is, after all, a big business.

Get used to the NFL's expanding into other countries. It's not gonna stop - quite the contrary.

So I shouldn't get one for my sister living in Shanghai?

All in all I don't think this is much to get exorcised about. It doesn't have Hello Kitty patches on it or anything.

Brownfan80 said:
Um, yeah, I hope they don't have to wear these in the 'Noodle Bowl' next year:

The first person I see wearing that, I'm going to piss on.

Unless they are a lot bigger and stonger than me or don't like to be pissed on or are female or a kid.

This whole thing is a stupid marketing gimmick to get people involved in football who don't really care.

If we cared about sumo wrestling here, we would have our own league. But we don't, because we don't care. (I know sumo wrestling is Japanese but you get the point.)

That trip to China and back is absolutely BRUTAL!! Even on a chartered plane it is @ 14 hour trip from Boston.

I guarentee that it costs us an early season game, next year.

slam said:
So I shouldn't get one for my sister living in Shanghai?

All in all I don't think this is much to get exorcised about. It doesn't have Hello Kitty patches on it or anything.

Granted, but maybe you didn't notice the '+ and sideways 11' where Tom's '12' should be.

It's just weird to me that they'd change the actual jersey itself just to market it in a new area.

Tom's number is '12', not '+ sideways 11', they should buy his jersey with '12' on it.

If other markets and cultures are going to be targeted I'd much rather see them buy into the version of football that is currently out there, rather than football being changed to appeal to a new market.

Re: I'm I the only one that's weirded out by this? (Jersey)

PatsDeb said:
The Krafts are getting too carried away with their attempts to cash in in China. I hope the protests continue about putting games outside the US.

Why?

What's wrong with it?

zippo59 said:
This whole thing is a stupid marketing gimmick to get people involved in football who don't really care.

If we cared about sumo wrestling here, we would have our own league. But we don't, because we don't care. (I know sumo wrestling is Japanese but you get the point.)

And yet they show sumo matches on US sports channels and the sumo champion of the world was recently an American who had no Japanese blood at all. It's an exhibition match, relax.

upstater1 said:
And yet they show sumo matches on US sports channels and the sumo champion of the world was recently an American who had no Japanese blood at all. It's an exhibition match, relax.

Yeah, but you don't see them selling Sumo Diapers with giant American words on them...

upstater1 said:

I watch a fair amount of TV and I have yet to come across a sumo wrestling match. I'm not doubting that they're there, but just that they're on such remote and obscure channels. It was not made into some big thing just for marketing. This game is being so overblown, by calling it the "China Game," having the logo painted on the field against Denver, and having a stupid halftime show about. The marketing is so forced so every cent can be squeezed out if it. I'm also not happy because I think four exhibition games is too much as it is, but now the team is playing five and gets to take a ridiculously long plane trip when it is so unnecesary. I hope Belichick leaves most of the team here. This throws of the team's entire training camp and preseason schedule and routine. This is even about football.

And yeah it's an exhibition match, but this is just the beginning. Last year the 49ers and Cardinals played a regular season game in Mexico. A big part of the NFL's success is the loyalty team's receive from fans because the teams represents certain areas. The fans feel like the team belongs to them. The NFL is slowly but surely taking the team's away from their designated area and fanbase, trying to make them liked by everyone. What's the point of that? I may be overreacting but I don't like it.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
Granted, but maybe you didn't notice the '+ and sideways 11' where Tom's '12' should be.

It's just weird to me that they'd change the actual jersey itself just to market it in a new area.

Tom's number is '12', not '+ sideways 11', they should buy his jersey with '12' on it.

If other markets and cultures are going to be targeted I'd much rather see them buy into the version of football that is currently out there, rather than football being changed to appeal to a new market.

I noticed. Those symbols are "12" in Chinese. Or was that sarcastic?

What's stupid is they use arabic numbers too. They should just keep the arabic number 12 on the back.

As for the whole political thing, I think you all need to lighten up. I don't see how spreading football to other lands is a bad thing.

Brownfan80 said:

Excellent point! Where is the novelty for them to buy something totally foreign that's been bastardized for their own culture? I'll bet Chinese people don't even understand the concept of wearing replica jerseys. What's more, the Chinese use OUR NUMBERING SYSTEM for jerseys/shirts used in international athletic competitions. This who episode is starting to smell like week-old chop suey. You'd think that getting a team in Los Angeles would be higher priority.

Last edited:
I don't like this either. I'm not even sure I can articulate why, but it just feels wrong. And that IS a hell of a trip to take and it seems completely unnecessary. I know this is a totally naive thing to say, but doesn't the NFL make enough money here as it is?

slam said:
I noticed. Those symbols are "12" in Chinese. Or was that sarcastic?

I understand that it is the translated version of "12" in 'simple chinese' much as my new signature is Brownfan80 with the 80 in simple chinese, but that isn't the language the sport is played in. They should buy the real items, no? Many products that are sold on american shelves are covered with Japanese and Chinese. A Patriots Jersey should not be one of these items.

Tunescribe said:
Excellent point! Where is the novelty for them to buy something totally foreign that's been bastardized for their own culture? I'll bet Chinese people don't even understand the concept of wearing replica jerseys. What's more, the Chinese use OUR NUMBERING SYSTEM for jerseys/shirts used in international athletic competitions. This whole episode is starting to smell like week-old chop suey.

So, the Noodle Bowl is stale already, huh?
I thought the weird cartoon big headed mascot things dancing at halftime was bad enough, but this Jersey? Worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back