PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one "Mocked-out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Soooo many mocks this time of year from talking heads and from fellow posters have gotten me, well, blah about mocks now. We all know the trade master BB makes a mockery of mock drafts to a point where every single one is unrealistic. I dont know if its this years players, the variability of this years draft(trading UP and down both possible) or what. I am skipping over everyones mock draft post. MAYBE too I have been awaiting Mr.Dryheats annual 7 round extravaganza..... Am I the only one?

Are you, too, feeling overloaded and burned out by all things draft related?

Well, THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT!

Introducing .............. "WHACK-A-MEL"!!!!! You don't actually hit him with a (ahem) "Mallet" .... you just poke his hair with a barbeque fork!

Yeah ive been mocked out for about a week now.

As one of countless likely contributing to your malaise and ennui, allow me to explain. ;)

A large part of fandom is dreaming up possible futures and alternate realities for the subject about which you're passionate. Draft-wise, the Patriots are in a rare position, something unlike anything the league has seen in a while, especially for a 14-2 team. It's only natural for people to ponder to excess the myriad possibilities that this could lead to, because frankly, we're in an incredibly exciting and enviable situation. ANYTHING could happen. No player is off limits.

In my wildest dreams, I genuinely feel like this draft could turn this team into another dynasty, if not one of the all-time greats. I'm sure others feel the same way. So it's only natural for those among us prone to day dreaming to imagine ways for that to happen.

Anyway, it'll soon be over.

Drink more beer and forget about the draft for a while.

Hey, if you're not mocked-out the day before the draft you having been draftniking right! :D

But I do feel like there's something different this year, maybe because the crazy unpredictability of all the variables makes for prediction bloat. In particular, all the "expert" mocks that refuse to project trades seem especially useless this year. With no free agency, most teams will be weighing need more heavily -- which means more trading.

You had me at "draftniking." You had me at "draftniking," PatChick. [I tumble into a fits of sobs.]

Watch Jerry Maguire tonight. It's also why I watch The Quiet Man or The Secret of Roan Inish on the Irish saint's day, and Groundhog Day on that day.

I think the lack of free agency has caused some to tune out the mock drafts, i.e., become 'mocked-out'. No free agency has resulted in the draft in general and mock drafts specifically as being the only thing (other than labor negotiations) that football fans can talk about. We're used to this being the primary focus of football discussions for only about three weeks; this year the mock draft talk has lasted about ten weeks.

Lack of free agency yup.
Too many possibilities with so many picks, yup.
A lack of any kind of consensus from talking heads, always.
Bandwagon draftniks posting 17 different mocks, definately.
Pit of your stomach feeling that there may be no season...sadly yes.
All these reasons have me gleaning through posts to find NON-MOCK posts to read. My play on words--"Mock-out"--appropriate. Agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes