PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I nuts or did Eugene Wilson...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
...absolutely blow CHUNKS today? Now, this is not a chicken little freak-out thread, so please leave that kind of thing out - we won the game, that is the only thing that matters. BUT:

TERRIBLE tackling, poor fundamentals, and then at the end BREAKS UP a gimme INT for (not sure who), only to luck out in having Bruschi catch the deflection. Just completely putrid today - to the point that I'd like to see James Sanders in there for a start.

Am I being too hard on #26 or was he the total crap-fest I saw on HD?

That was Rodney's INT that was tipped to the one armed man...

Wilson looked to be a pro bowler in the making in 2005. He's looked like a JAG safety ever since. He's not as bad as he was in 2005 but he's still only a shadow of what he appeared to be in 2004. Same deal with Asante except he's regained more ground - but still not close to what he appeared to be in 2004. The are both sufficient when the front 7 are dominant. But they are exposed especially on broken plays. If a QB can throw fairly accurately on the run they are semi-toast.

MoLewisrocks said:
Wilson looked to be a pro bowler in the making in 2005. He's looked like a JAG safety ever since. He's not as bad as he was in 2005 but he's still only a shadow of what he appeared to be in 2004. Same deal with Asante except he's regained more ground - but still not close to what he appeared to be in 2004.

Couldn't agree more. Both of these guys, but Wilson especially, have been spotty as Hell over the last year or so. Hopefully he'll turn it around. Today was as bad as I've seen him.

patsox23 said:
Couldn't agree more. Both of these guys, but Wilson especially, have been spotty as Hell over the last year or so. Hopefully he'll turn it around. Today was as bad as I've seen him.

i agree
i dont think hes awful out there but hes about average
and he was seriously looking like hed be an amazing amazing player in 04, i was seriously falling in love with his play, i dont really get what happened, i know the rodney injury helped aid his downfall but come on

will we see sanders or hawkins back there instead, perhaps, but i really hope he can turn it around

oh btw, on that would be pick by rodney, im pretty sure i saw rodney turn and yell at geno after he screwed it up (similar to seeing troy brown tackle willie andrews out of bounds last week on the punt when it was a "poison" call)

Wilson was awful yesterday. And he went barreling right into Rodney on the last interception.

Wilson played like he had money on the Jets!

I think too much time at CB in training camp maybe? But he was contstantly out of postion and missing tackles.

The Bad: His tackling is awful and he really need to do some serious work on that. He had to pick up his jock his jock a couple of times after being faked out.

The Good: He was never beaten. He was always around the ball where he was suppose to be.

I'm not so sure it dosen't have a lot to do with the defensive scheme they
are put in. If the play unfolds as they deployed for then he has no problem.

Like someone said a broken play or one he is out of position for gives him the
problems. I'm not sure why. When he over pursues it may be because he
thinks he is suppose to have backup so he is free to be agressive. That
would be a call for an agressive defensive . I would rather that than the
pasive wait for the WR to come to you. They may get bunt once in awhile
but it's worth the risk.

Maybe his backup got taken out of the play? If the O guy didn't make a
good juke we'd saying wow PATs D made a nice play.

It is a hard call on Wilson without knowing the total D called. IMO

PATSNUTme said:
The Bad: His tackling is awful and he really need to do some serious work on that. He had to pick up his jock his jock a couple of times after being faked out.

The Good: He was never beaten. He was always around the ball where he was suppose to be.

Wilson was 2nd on the team
with 6 tackles and 1 assist.

With Wilson looking OK, at best, at Rodney getting older it's time to move on a Safety. There's 3 likely first round picks at Safety as of now (Landry, Merrieweather, Griffin) and I want one of them.

The problem with Wilson is that you only notice him when he screws up. He had some very bad plays in run support yesterday. Pee Wee football bad. On the balance, however, I think he plays the free safety role reasonably well, especially when Rodney's lined up in the box and blitzing.

BelichickFan said:
With Wilson looking OK, at best, at Rodney getting older it's time to move on a Safety. There's 3 likely first round picks at Safety as of now (Landry, Merrieweather, Griffin) and I want one of them.

Don't hold your breath. They already tried having Rodney groom his successor in Wilson and they have Sanders in the pipeline. It doesn't necessarily work and the position is just to important in this system to endure the learning curve. Rodney will be replaced by another veteran FA version of Rodney, or as close to it as BB can get. I think they wanted Ty as much for that position going forward as they did for CB for the short term.

MoLewisrocks said:
Don't hold your breath. They already tried having Rodney groom his successor in Wilson and they have Sanders in the pipeline. It doesn't necessarily work and the position is just to important in this system to endure the learning curve. Rodney will be replaced by another veteran FA version of Rodney, or as close to it as BB can get. I think they wanted Ty as much for that position going forward as they did for CB for the short term.
We'll see. Belichick loves to middle from the middle out. They tried the middle round pick route with RB too (Redmond, Cobbs) and finally just took a real talent in Maroney. I'm hopefull they'll do the same at Safety.

Seriously, we're almost running out of positions to use a #1 pick on. WR maybe. TE maybe if Graham leaves. C maybe if Koppen leaves. Then CB and S because it really seems like a #1 LB 'ain't happening.

The Pats tried Wilson at CB during TC, maybe it is time to give sanders his shot and make Wilson a CB...that's what he was drafted as and his ball skills would be used better there.

I am really hoping that one of the Pats' #1 picks in the next draft is a SS like Landry or Griffin who Rodney can groom into an assassin/future replacement.

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
The Pats tried Wilson at CB during TC, maybe it is time to give sanders his shot and make Wilson a CB...that's what he was drafted as and his ball skills would be used better there.

I am really hoping that one of the Pats' #1 picks in the next draft is a SS like Landry or Griffin who Rodney can groom into an assassin/future replacement.

Well, Wilson was a CB when he was first draft and was forced to move to FS after the Lawyer fiasco. Even now, he sometimes plays more the CB role in nickel sets and covers the slot receiver. However, I can't say he was very effective last week covering the slot, got turned around by his guy and gave up receptions. I'll echo the sentiments expressed here by previous posters and agree that his rookie season was probably his best. Still, the hellacious hits against the Colts receivers aside, even in his best season, he was prone to giving up huge plays. Recall the SB against the Panthers. I was willing to live with this given that it was his rookie season and thorougly expected him to get better. He, however, has not.

I like your idea of drafting a safety with a first round pick. As it stands now though, we have a bigger need at WR and CB; more so if Asante's not resigned at the end of this year. So I say, draft a CB and WR with our two first and go after Michael Lewis in free agency.

Last edited:
A couple of things. I could be wrong, but I think Sanders got hurt early in the game on a kickoff and never came back.

Second, Wilson looks tentative out there to me. Maybe the abuse he suffered last year, is still affecting his head this year. Hard to tell. Physically he looks fine, but mentally he looks a bit tentative.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping Wilson doesn't try to rip Rodney's head off again....

ImgDyn.cfm

flutie2phelan said:
Wilson was 2nd on the team
with 6 tackles and 1 assist.

I think that stats, particularly for the DB, can be misleading at times. IMO Geno played poorly yesterday, no matter how he showed up in the stat-sheet.

He didnt really play well. He is a good player. These first two games havent been his best.

But you have got to be kidding me with this tackling crap. Blame Wilson for everyones crappy tackling. He whiffed or got juked a few times. But Scott missed, Hobbs missed, Samuel missed, one of the LBs on the Coles TD missed. And there is no blaming Wilson for the Crotchery TD. That was simply a heads up play by Crotchery. That play is a great play Crotchery and a bad move by Scott. Trying to lay the big hit and Crotchery didnt go down. How the heck should Wilson know he wasnt down, he couldnt see. So lets go signing all these guys praises like Hobbs. Hobbs made a stupid PI penalty, slid and fell allowing a pretty long gain for Coles. Hobbs wasnt great today either. There were dozens of players who were not smart with the personal fouls and plenty of players who missed tackles. I hear tackling problems, thing is...Wilson whiffed the guy he didnt get a hand on him to make at least a reasonable attempt for a tackle. Once he slipped missed and got back and tripped up the reciever by the legs. So, take into consideration there were other DBs and players who were to blame for a lousy 2nd half.

Wilson isn't the only one with an "iffy" effort - Matt Light is beginning to scare me.....although he's not as bad at the Kemo Off-whatever of the Jets. He was just plain useless. He may as well be a sack of potatoes.

He's been playing poorly for a while now. You no longer see the big hits and sure tackling like before. He looks to be far from agile and looks lost at times. I don't know if it's his confidence or what but he looks nothing like the player who destroyed the Colts WR's in AFCCG back then. That hit on Reggie Wayne was massive, you just don't see the Patriots defense as a team being physical like it use to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back