PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I committing Patriot Blasphemy?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidey2559

Rookie
Reaction score
Dear Patriot Nation,

As a Patriot fan, I religiously regard the Patriot coaching and management staff as THE BEST in the NFL. But sometimes it takes a convincing loss to a nemesis whose had our number since John Elway was outdueling Tony Eason to realize that all is not rosy in Patriot Land....

For us Patriot faithful, such thoughts would be blasphemy. But the signs are telling:

1. The 4-3 defense looks more intimidating than the 3-4.
Let's face it...our linebackers really didn't put on a good pass rush...Ty Warren alone had a better pash rush by himself. Our linebackers are smart but aging. They make plays because they know how to shed blockers. But if they didn't, they don't have to speed to compensate ala like Denver. Let's take advantage of our youth up front and put some real pressure on QB's...

2. Eugene Wilson already has declining skills
His angles to the tackler are getting worse...he's making too many players look good on SportsCenter.

3. Asante Samuel is a nickel cornerback at best.
It's flipping a coin seeing him play. Let's flip the coin with him only on 3rd and long...

4. Charlie Weis "no huddle" spread-offense is better suited for this team.
Brady can be MUCH more effective with this offense early in the game. Let's get ahead early and then try to work on clock control. I understand BB's love for TE's...but do you really think Ben Watson is going to open up our running game...really?!?

5. Corey Dillon seems to be aging WAY to quickly.
He has too much heart not to be in such an important game for us unless he was really hurt. But did anyone actually see the play where he got hurt? Hmm....

6. Maroney is not a power runner.
When Corey went down, Belichik placed Maroney in power running plays that Corey would have run. It was a disaster. Especially on that 4th and 1 play where Maroney was looking for daylight instead of 1 yard. That's not Maroney's strength. (Maroney could benefit from the no huddle spread with draw plays and more space to create plays.)

7. We are $11 MILLION DOLLARS UNDER THE SALARY CAP
We get what we spend.....if you don't believe me ask Deion.

I had to adjust my previous prediction of a 12-4 season to a 10-6 team at best. It seems that the window of our championship run is closing....and much quicker than we might believe...

Patriot Faithful, forgive me...:snob:

Oh I forgot to mention....we have to regard Mike Shanahan as much as an elite chess football strategist as Belichik.

And it is as simple as that.

omg what sinful thoughts you have!

I hope there is a confessional booth close to you...

spidey2559 said:
Dear Patriot Nation,

As a Patriot fan, I religiously regard the Patriot coaching and management staff as THE BEST in the NFL. But sometimes it takes a convincing loss to a nemesis whose had our number since John Elway was outdueling Tony Eason to realize that all is not rosy in Patriot Land....

For us Patriot faithful, such thoughts would be blasphemy. But the signs are telling:

Let's face it...our linebackers really didn't put on a good pass rush...Ty Warren alone had a better pash rush by himself. Our linebackers are smart but aging. They make plays because they know how to shed blockers. But if they didn't, they don't have to speed to compensate ala like Denver. Let's take advantage of our youth up front and put some real pressure on QB's...

His angles to the tackler are getting worse...he's making too many players look good on SportsCenter.

It's flipping a coin seeing him play. Let's flip the coin with him only on 3rd and long...

Brady can be MUCH more effective with this offense early in the game. Let's get ahead early and then try to work on clock control. I understand BB's love for TE's...but do you really think Ben Watson is going to open up our running game...really?!?

He has too much heart not to be in such an important game for us unless he was really hurt. But did anyone actually see the play where he got hurt? Hmm....

When Corey went down, Belichik placed Maroney in power running plays that Corey would have run. It was a disaster. Especially on that 4th and 1 play where Maroney was looking for daylight instead of 1 yard. That's not Maroney's strength. (Maroney could benefit from the no huddle spread with draw plays and more space to create plays.)

I had to adjust my previous prediction of a 12-4 season to a 10-6 team at best. It seems that the window of our championship run is closing....and much quicker than we might believe...

Oh I forgot to mention....we have to regard Mike Shanahan as much as an elite chess football strategist as Belichik.

You're a joke.

spidey2559 said:
Dear Patriot Nation,

Don't ask forgiveness for giving your opinion. Be a man and say what you think for Christ sakes. Shanahan is a better coach. Belichick never had to deal with losing Brady. Shanahan has two Super Bowl titles, rebuilt the Broncos after Elway left and took them to an AFC Championship Game with Jake freaking Plummer and beats Belichick like a drum every time they play. Belichick hasn't proven he can win without Weis, Crennel or Brady. Shanahan is the better coach, no need to apologize for being right.

A few points:

The 4-3 looked great because the Jets have no running game. Had they used the 4-3 as the base D for either Denver or Buffalo you'd be saying the 4-3 blows and they should use a 3-4.

Samuel is a nickleback. He should only be starting due to injuries.

Dillon is old for a running back so expect diminished skills. That said, I have only been impressed by him this year.

NFL contracts have these crazy things attached to them called "years." Yes I would happily pay Deion $7M this year because the Pats are desperate at WR. The next 5 years I'd feel like a fool. Thankfully the Patriots front office has this thing called foresight and they actually care about the future.

Well, if nothing else I officially doubt we go 10-6. We lose to Denver, Indy, Cincy and maybe Chicago/Jacksonville (the Bears are overrated and Jacksonville is iffy, we'll conceivably be at our best and who knows who'll be resting).

Who else takes us? The Vikings, after the bye week? Anything's still possible, but assuming everyone gets better (and no team has room to improve like we do), I don't see our divisionals taking us.

It's a possibility that something surprising happens, but my bet's still on 12-4 if we learn from what we've done wrong so far.

One last point: The difference between Shanahan and Belichick is 2001. The Patriots had no right to win that superbowl yet did anyway.

Otherwise they've both won 2 with the better team both times. Of course the Broncos had to cheat the cap to win theirs...

Obviously I can't deny Shanahan owns Belichick head-to-head. Though Belichick owns Dungy and Dungy owns Shanahan, so who knows what that all means.

Last edited:
spidey2559 said:
Dear Patriot Nation,

I agree, somewhat. I think a mix of the two woudl work best.

I thought he played well against Denver. Keep in mind Sanders was in during the Walker play. He didn't look good against the Bills or Jets...but he was fine against Denver (he put a good lick on someone I recall).

I think everyone has been a bit too hard on Wilson these past 2 years. He was tryign to carry an entire secondary last year. He's had a rough 2 games but he turned it around yesterday. I think he still has time to return to 2004 form. Don't give up on him yet.

I'm conflicted on Samuel. Sometimes he shows his #1 potential, othertimes he completely messes up. I still think he is underrated on these forums. I think he can be a good #2.

Charlie Weis "no huddle" spread-offense is better suited for this team.

I agree that the no uddle offense is better suited for the team. I also agree that we need to start spraeding the field early (GET CJ AND DG IN THERE DARN IT!) Caldwell almost had a long one against Denver, if only Brady had put it up just a little more.

He got hurt last game. It's pretty simple. Everyone gets hurt and it's true he's getting older. But did you not see the first 2 games of the season in which he tore up the field and left no mercy?

While I agree Maroney is more of a speedy guy rather than a power runner, that play was not neccesarily Maroney's fault. That was poor execution all around.

The line didn't open up many holes yesterday either. Even so, I'd still rather see Dillon in there for the short yardage. I still think Maroney can pack a punch with his hits.

While this is definitely true, I can't help but keep in mind that there are a lot of people to resign or let go next year. I think Stallworth would have been a great acquisition. Oh well.

And yes, Shanny was pretty brilliant yesterday.

spidey2559 said:
Dear Patriot Nation,

The 3-4 requires discipline and patience to perfect. In time the inconsistencies you observe will improve and the front will dominate again, as they did toward the end of last year after two months of ineffective play. Comparatively speaking, after 3 weeks, the 3-4 is ahead of the curve. Naturally, these front 7 players would prefer to go mano-a-mano and freelance, feeling themselves limited by an overarching scheme. But BB's intellect and deep understanding of the game dwarfs their's, and he sees the big picture benefits of the 3-4. There is a reason Caesar and his legions defeated the barbarians: systematic discipline.
Wilson is compensating for ineffective coverage by Harrison, and this has affected his mindset: he is trying to do too much. Maybe the criticism, some unjustified, over his play last year has affected him as well. But to say this constitutes a "decline" in skills is an exaggeration after a three game body of work. Wilson was excellent in the playoffs last year, delivering a game changing hit against Pearman of Jacksonville.

Samuel is a good cornerback who has done an excellent job since the Buffalo game last season. What did he do wrong, the Walker TD? He had safety help over the top and Sanders blew it. Samuels ball skills have been suspect so far, but in case you forget he intercepted two passes in the playoffs last year and returned one for a game clinching TD.
I agree. The no huddle is great. But when the team hasn't broken in the receiving corps yet, it is not a reasonable option. Do you remember the 2nd Buffalo game last year, when the team piled up 500 yards of offense and set the Patriot record for 1st downs in a game? The no-huddle was used with success then, and in the JK game. So McDaniels is willing to use it, and has had success with it; but the personnel isn't ready yet. When it is ready you will know it and jump back on the bandwagon, no doubt under the mistaken conviction that the Pats "FINALLY" agreed with your advice.
I don't even know what you're talking about or implying. Are you saying he's jaking it? Or that he was benched? To read the murky waters of your mind I'd need a sieve...6. Maroney is not a power runner.
The blocking failed. To judge what Maroney can and can't do at this stage is premature. There isn't a body of evidence.

Well, you are an original thinker. Why not just spend the money on Lavar Arrignton? or Sam Madison? or Givens? You know why? They aint worth it and neither is Deion, as the 'Hawks and the peons of the press who pine for him will soon find out. The reason the Pats aren't playing well has nothing to do with Deion. It has to do with Brady. Deion has been injured every year for significant time and Brady has soldiered on with success. What is different now? NOTHING. Brady is just throwing stinkers, and as you wish, the offense will go back to a more wide open scheme as he adjusts to new talent.

Go cry in your beer. I can't picture you looking on the bright side of life from a fox-hole, that's for sure.

"As much as"... One has 3 titles, one has 2. 3 to 2 means BB beats Shanahan the only place it matters, in football and in life: the final scoreboard.

Every difficult, complicated question has an answer that is simple, easily understood and wrong. Thanks for providing it[/QUOTE]

ten characters

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
Don't ask forgiveness for giving your opinion. Be a man and say what you think for Christ sakes. Shanahan is a better coach. Belichick never had to deal with losing Brady. Shanahan has two Super Bowl titles, rebuilt the Broncos after Elway left and took them to an AFC Championship Game with Jake freaking Plummer and beats Belichick like a drum every time they play. Belichick hasn't proven he can win without Weis, Crennel or Brady. Shanahan is the better coach, no need to apologize for being right.
You're back again? Haven't finished wiping Borges' cream off your face? How many playoff games has Shanahan won since Elway? ONE in SEVEN YEARS. How many playoff games has Parcells won without Belichick? ZERO IN THREE YEARS. How many Playoff games has BB won without Weis and Crennel? ONE in ONE YEAR, not counting BEATING PARCELLS IN '94. In case you forget, BB won coach of the year in the NFL in 1994, without Parcells, Brady, Weis etc., and without personnel control and a scouting department. How many head coaches has Shanahan produced from his system, on the college or pro level? The dubious KUBIAK, who passed on Reggie Bush for Mario Williams? Go back to polishing Don King's knob, like your perverted namesake, trash.

I really don't agree with much of what you said, but it's not blasphemy. We had a poster here last night who claimed BB was perfect, infallible, incapable of ever making a mistake. Obviously that's completely ignorant, but there is a sector of people here who believe that.

That is their right, just like it is your right as a fan to question decisions, and if you feel necessary, criticize decisions. You may not be right, you may be wrong, but it's part of being a fan.

PonyExpress said:
spidey2559 said:
Dear Patriot Nation,

The 3-4 requires discipline and patience to perfect. In time the inconsistencies you observe will improve and the front will dominate again, as they did toward the end of last year after two months of ineffective play. Comparatively speaking, after 3 weeks, the 3-4 is ahead of the curve. Naturally, these front 7 players would prefer to go mano-a-mano and freelance, feeling themselves limited by an overarching scheme. But BB's intellect and deep understanding of the game dwarfs their's, and he sees the big picture benefits of the 3-4. There is a reason Caesar and his legions defeated the barbarians: systematic discipline.
Wilson is compensating for ineffective coverage by Harrison, and this has affected his mindset: he is trying to do too much. Maybe the criticism, some unjustified, over his play last year has affected him as well. But to say this constitutes a "decline" in skills is an exaggeration after a three game body of work. Wilson was excellent in the playoffs last year, delivering a game changing hit against Pearman of Jacksonville.

Samuel is a good cornerback who has done an excellent job since the Buffalo game last season. What did he do wrong, the Walker TD? He had safety help over the top and Sanders blew it. Samuels ball skills have been suspect so far, but in case you forget he intercepted two passes in the playoffs last year and returned one for a game clinching TD.
I agree. The no huddle is great. But when the team hasn't broken in the receiving corps yet, it is not a reasonable option. Do you remember the 2nd Buffalo game last year, when the team piled up 500 yards of offense and set the Patriot record for 1st downs in a game? The no-huddle was used with success then, and in the JK game. So McDaniels is willing to use it, and has had success with it; but the personnel isn't ready yet. When it is ready you will know it and jump back on the bandwagon, no doubt under the mistaken conviction that the Pats "FINALLY" agreed with your advice.
I don't even know what you're talking about or implying. Are you saying he's jaking it? Or that he was benched? To read the murky waters of your mind I'd need a sieve...6. Maroney is not a power runner.
The blocking failed. To judge what Maroney can and can't do at this stage is premature. There isn't a body of evidence.

Well, you are an original thinker. Why not just spend the money on Lavar Arrignton? or Sam Madison? or Givens? You know why? They aint worth it and neither is Deion, as the 'Hawks and the peons of the press who pine for him will soon find out. The reason the Pats aren't playing well has nothing to do with Deion. It has to do with Brady. Deion has been injured every year for significant time and Brady has soldiered on with success. What is different now? NOTHING. Brady is just throwing stinkers, and as you wish, the offense will go back to a more wide open scheme as he adjusts to new talent.

Go cry in your beer. I can't picture you looking on the bright side of life from a fox-hole, that's for sure.

"As much as"... One has 3 titles, one has 2. 3 to 2 means BB beats Shanahan the only place it matters, in football and in life: the final scoreboard.

Every difficult, complicated question has an answer that is simple, easily understood and wrong. Thanks for providing it[/QUOTE]

ten characters
Really cogent analysis......The Broncos are just a really tough match-up......well-coached,run-game,big receivers,fast defense and they don't turn the ball over.Nothing mystical,here.
Brady and the Pats are searching for their identity.....they'll find it,no team morphs into a workable strategy better than the Patriots.

SoonerPatriot said:
I really don't agree with much of what you said, but it's not blasphemy. We had a poster here last night who claimed BB was perfect, infallible, incapable of ever making a mistake. Obviously that's completely ignorant, but there is a sector of people here who believe that.

That is their right, just like it is your right as a fan to question decisions, and if you feel necessary, criticize decisions. You may not be right, you may be wrong, but it's part of being a fan.

Oh c'mon now, I never said that.

I just haven't seen enough to lend any credence to my opinion against BB. It's been that way for years.

Its interesting. The first two games we had good blocking and the running back was great. The 3rd game we had poor blocking and the running game struggled. So all of a sudden Dillion is washed up and Maroney is a bum? I really didnt expect this much flip floping from pats nation. (call me a homer)

Thanks for providing so much food for thought here Spidey, including some good points.... I'll take blue....

spidey2559 said:

It's best to know both, and I think we always will. It's true Denver handled our pass rush the other day. I feel that even a good pass rush can be negated by a good team, so that you always need to have a good secondary.

His angles are getting worse...he's making too many players look good on SportsCenter.

I never really thought about using a player's ankles to gauge his ability. What are you, Mr. Tape Measure? I think you're oversimplifying. Someone with thick ankles could still be fast (e.g. Ty Law in his prime) while someone with thin ones could be on the slow side (e.g. Starks last year).

I think he's better than that. Too often it's Asante who's the victim of either a bad call for interference or a perfect throw from the QB. Still, I don't think we lose much putting Gay in there.

We're spending it, don't worry. You'll hear news on Koppen, Graham, Samuel eventually (while it's still the current cap year). I do think it's possible that we set aside Branch money, and when it didn't get spent we might have more left over than we want to spend, but that's excusable. Also Seymour can soak up much of whatever's left.

If you're expecting 10-6, then we just started the first 3 games right on target. If you're expecting 12-4, then we just started the first 3 games right on target. How can you lose 4 without losing to Denver?

He sure does something right. I'd like to know how all those other teams beat Denver when we can't.
. . . . .

PonyExpress said:
spidey2559 said:
Dear Patriot Nation,

I really have my doubts about the 3-4. It seems to me that the Pats have been burned in the running game time and time again by failure to execute this defense, primarily by the ILBs. I don't think it is a failure of systematic discipline as much as they are losing the battle physically.

ten characters

PonyExpress said:
How many head coaches has Shanahan produced from his system, on the college or pro level? .

Jimmy Johnson was a great coach, who did he produce as a head coach:

Dave Wanstead,
Mike? Shula,
Norv Turner,
Dave Campo,
Butch Davis,

Let us know in 5 years who BB has produced that is still a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots