Cole Bennett TE Auburn
Sam Keller QB Nebraska
Calvin Dawson RB Louisiana-Monroe
Darius Reynard WR West Virginia
Derrick Doggett S Oregon St
Jeremy Leman LB Illinois
Ron Girault S Rutgers

62. Andre Caldwell WR Florida

I really like Caldwell, especially for this receiver class. I don't know about his measurables and don't care. Dude knows how to get open and lock his hands on the ball. Kudos to Cincy for landing Caldwell, Simpson and Urrutia. If they can make TJ happy and ship CJ out of town, Palmer should have some good times with that cast.

78. Cliff Avril LB Purdue

I'm kinda guessing here but I think the Pats were looking Crable all the way. The only reason I can think they were so zeroed in on Crable was his height and frame projected him to get much bigger and stronger. Avril has the speed, production, motor and intangibles you would think the Pats would covet. Maybe he just didn't have chassis they were looking for.

94. Anthony Collins OT Kansas

I really wasn't expecting any OL prospects to be drafted before the later rounds. The braintrust seems to be fine with Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan and Britt. In addition to being very productive (SB aside) they seem to be cohesive as a unit. While they can (and eventually will) be upgraded, I think the front office will be careful about how and when they break this unit up.

129. Josh Barrett S Arizona St

Assuming Meriweather stays at safety, not much is needed there. Pick 129 isn't a bad place to pick up some depth, so I wouldn't complain about this pick. I do like the focus on ST in this draft. Not that they were bad in 2007...just that turning that unit into a field-position-changing, turnover-creating weapon only makes the Pats harder to beat on those off-days. <cough> super bowl <cough>

153. Ahtyba Rubin NT Iowa St

Don't know anything about Rubin but I'm surprised that NT wasn't addressed this offseason. I'm assuming you put him here because he is a true 3-4 NT candidate and not just a fat slob that can't play anything else. So I'm with you on this one.

197. Erin Henderson LB Maryland

Color me curious on Henderson. No way he should have fallen like he did and then get picked up by his brother's team. There has to be more to this story than I know about so I'm not sold without reading my CarFax report first.

I noticed you didn't take any corners and that would be the real complaint I would have with your picks. Capers was brought in for a reason and I doubt it was to watch over a bunch of vets on 1-year deals. Belichick has a plan for the back 8 and it requires raw materials (apparently 5'9" track guys) and a craftsman (Capers) to pull it off.

Last edited:
I noticed you didn't take any corners and that would be the real complaint I would have with your picks. Capers was brought in for a reason and I doubt it was to watch over a bunch of vets on 1-year deals. Belichick has a plan for the back 8 and it requires raw materials (apparently 5'9" track guys) and a craftsman (Capers) to pull it off.

I felt that the best CB available at each spot was a major reach. Cornerbacks and Offensive Tackles were definitely reached for last weekend. I would have probably traded up to get one.

I absolutely agree about Henderson....something caused him to fall out of the draft. Previously undisclosed injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes