PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Already sick of "African American coaches" non-story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. If these coaches were smart, they'd IGNORE the issue as if they're just the same as any other head coach in the NFL. What bugs me is that Lovie Smith keeps calling attention to himself over it.

i mean, im jewish, so i am a minority, but not one you can see just by looking at me, you just feel diff, and being white its kinda hard to understand sometimes
i guess its kinda the way i brag about my fellow jews, rob kraft, theo epstein, josh miller, gabe kapler, kevin youkilis, its just a sense of pride i get by saying theyre jewish every chance i get

Good point. If these coaches were smart, they'd IGNORE the issue as if they're just the same as any other head coach in the NFL. What bugs me is that Lovie Smith keeps calling attention to himself over it.
Why should they ignore the issue? It's a big deal, they're happy about it. They have accomplished something that just a few years ago was not possible because minority coaches were not getting chances at interviews. I'm sure the NFL is happy about it too, they've taken some big strides in this regard.

And while things are getting better in the NFL, they are still in bad shape on the college level. Hopefully one day we won't have to think of this stuff, but until then, it's OK to celebrate a nice milestone like this.

you think bb will decide to coach, or hand it off to scharnecchia or another coach

I think he'll do it.

Why not go to Hawaii and show some of these chest-thumpers what real football coaching is? Remember, all the Chargers' Pro Bowlers know is Mike Riley and Chokenheimer.

I think he'll do it.

Why not go to Hawaii and show some of these chest-thumpers what real football coaching is? Remember, all the Chargers' Pro Bowlers know is Mike Riley and Chokenheimer.

hmmm maybe coach em up good so theyll come to us for less money when their contracts are up I LIKE IT!!!

Well, I'm Indian (Native American), which is a race most people think doesn't even exist anymore. So, as far as the hype on black coaches go, it is a story.

The fact is, while blacks have made great strides, they are far from equal. Many fans here were alive when MLK, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, etc. were making news. In the 50s, 60s, etc, these folks were daring death by simply standing up for themselves.

Today, we are increasingly aware of transgressions overtly against people as a race, but the progress towards equality is slower than people admit. If you are in a dark alley and two people are walking towards you, a black man will be paid attention to over a white man.

It is this degree of latent fear that separates people. It is not until this degree of unknown is lost that so-called irrevalent topics will cease to exist. Until then, each small step in the equality of man will be noted (and yes, beaten to death) by those who still realize it.

Last edited:
I don't care if they're effing purple. Just play the damn game. Bringing attention to color is one of the things that helps racism still exist in this country.

No, this actually dissuades racism because it publicizes to everyone that African-Americans have the ability to experience the ultimate success as head coaches in the NFL. I had no doubts but some racist people did and this tells them to STFU. I welcome this story.

Last edited:
STFU about it. This isn't 1955. 75% players in the league are African Americans who are getting paid millions and millions of dollars. Seriously if this is all you're going to talk about for 2 weeks then you can count me out, there's no way I'm watching the SB.

Not a fan of Lovie and Dungy either-the good news is only one will win.

No, this actually dissuades racism because it publicizes to everyone that African-Americans have the ability to experience the ultimate success as head coaches in the NFL. I had no doubts but some racist people did and this tells them to STFU. I welcome this story.

I don't see how this "dissuades racism". If someone believes that a person being black somehow makes him less of a coach, then Smith and Dungy making it isn't going to make that person change his belief. That person will just rationalize that Smith and Dungy got lucky (as Dungy did) or that they are the exceptions to the rule. It is a non-story, except for those obsessed with race.

I agree. I'm already sick of this race - card crap.

Well, I'm Indian (Native American), which is a race most people think doesn't even exist anymore. So, as far as the hype on black coaches go, it is a story.

The fact is, while blacks have made great strides, they are far from equal. Many fans here were alive when MLK, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, etc. were making news. In the 50s, 60s, etc, these folks were daring death by simply standing up for themselves.

Today, we are increasingly aware of transgressions overtly against people as a race, but the progress towards equality is slower than people admit. If you are in a dark alley and two people are walking towards you, a black man will be paid attention to over a white man.

It is this degree of latent fear that separates people. It is not until this degree of unknown is lost that so-called irrevalent topics will cease to exist. Until then, each small step in the equality of man will be noted (and yes, beaten to death) by those who still realize it.
Good post..says it all..Yes it is news..it never happeend before at all...so..yes it IS news!! I wish I lived in an era in the future where it would not be a big thing...
Only how many years removed from MKL and such??? Unfortunately racism still exists...less so..but..it is around at times..

Hey, brother. As a fellow indian, we disagree on this. Everyone is so hung up on race, that it's reached a point of "diminishing returns" - Most normal people just don't care about race all that much anymore. Only people with an agenda, whether it's a "racist" agenda or a "equality" agenda, care about race nowadays.

As for me, I'm not really sure which I find more offensive and dangerous - people who say, "I hate you because you ain't like me" or those who say "oh, you'll never make it without our (white) help. Here's an affirmitive action program to help you". Both are blatantly racist, and I have no use for either one.

As a nation, we just need to get beyond race, and focus on people based on character and ability. Smith and Dungy both appear to be men of character and ability, and THAT should be the focus.

Until then, we aint' gonna accomplish crap.

I can't even express how sick and f'in tired I am of this racist bullsh*t.

What if Payton was interviewed and said I'm pulling for Belichick so we can have an all-white Super Bowl? That would be labelled racism, but is precisely what Lovie said. Just so irritating... man am I ever sick of black people thinking it's the 50s.

It's just a few years ago that the NFL was forced to make concessions because of an apparent lack of opportunities for black coaches. This is a good story because it shows how far the NFL has come. The NFL is now truly colorblind, and the story of Lovey Smith and Tony Dungy underscores that. It's certainly not the main story of the Superbowl, but it's at least as big a story as things like the Merriamn dance, the antics of TO, and other sidebars. Besides, I'd rather hear the media talk about Dungy and Smith than about Peyton, Peyton, Peyton, Peyton, Peyton ....

I think it has some symbolic value, but I agree it's overblown.

I can't believe it would take SB appearances to show that black coaches have arrived. People think Smith and Dungy are good coaches because they win and mostly make good decisions, and others like Herm Edwards are not that great because they make some bad decisions. Plenty of white coaches fail too.

It is not correct to assume that the coaching ranks should match the playing ranks, since many who go into coaching did not play the game professionally, and I suspect that people who have been successful don't want to do what guys like Belichek, Weis, Parcells, and Mangini had to do -- gofer work for minimal pay and slowly work up the ranks, or start in HS, move to a small college, and work up the ranks that way.

One question is whether non-white people are getting those low level opportunities from which one can work up -- I suspect you're much more likely to find discrmination there than at the elite ranks where winning is everything.

My wife and I were commenting on the trailer for some new eddie murphy "black" movie coming out that was shown during the game yesterday.

You know, one of those movies like "barber shop" or "hair salon" that features black folks doing stupid things and strengthening their own streotypes and targeted at blacks. (are we allowed to call them blacks nowadays? or is that too now offensive?)

Anyway, in this trailer they show some black dude shouting "hey it's raining little white girls!"

Could you IMAGINE a film produced by whites having the line "hey it's raining little black people!" ?? There would be an UPROAR about racism.

I don't care if they're effing purple. Just play the damn game. Bringing attention to color is one of the things that helps racism still exist in this country.

BINGO! We got Bingo!

Exactly! Some people say it will inspire young black kids to become coaches. I'm caucasian but I haven't been inspired to coach because two white coaches were in the Super Bowl.

Lovie and Tony are two men. And one of those two men are going to lead their team to a victory. Skin color should have nothing to do with it.

I can't wait 'till the first Hispanic coach squares off against the first Asian coach in the Super Bowl. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey, brother. As a fellow indian, we disagree on this. Everyone is so hung up on race, that it's reached a point of "diminishing returns" - Most normal people just don't care about race all that much anymore. Only people with an agenda, whether it's a "racist" agenda or a "equality" agenda, care about race nowadays.

As for me, I'm not really sure which I find more offensive and dangerous - people who say, "I hate you because you ain't like me" or those who say "oh, you'll never make it without our (white) help. Here's an affirmitive action program to help you". Both are blatantly racist, and I have no use for either one.

As a nation, we just need to get beyond race, and focus on people based on character and ability. Smith and Dungy both appear to be men of character and ability, and THAT should be the focus.

Until then, we aint' gonna accomplish crap.

Wise words! We're all Americans (except for our foreign Pats Fans). The more we get hung up on race, the more it will hold our country back.

I think it's a great news story as it shows that things are slowly getting better for African-Americans. It's a credit to the NFL and society as a whole.
For those of you who think it's a non-story or racist, you need to imagine what it would be like if you and your people had been brought to someone else's country in chains, had been slaves until the mid 19th Century, had experienced legal discrimination until 40 years ago and had it made damn clear to you that your face didn't fit in many clubs and societies since then because you are black.
In such a "colour blind" society, why has there never been a non-white President? Why are most players in the glamour position of Quarterback white, when 75% of players are black? Why are most CEOs, Ivy League professors, actors, newcasters and rich people in general white? If you think that's BS, go to the richest areas in town you know and count how many people you see who are black in contrast to how many white people you see.
Why, in the "colour blind" society, has Chris Leak admitted to receiving racist mail? Was it sent by black people?

Oh, gomez, you came SO CLOSE to getting me to say something I avoid desperately (not racist but wouldn't be taken well). If I were ever to say it, today would be the day.

I will say, though, get over it. Blacks can achieve anything they want to but too many simply don't want to.

I think it's a great news story as it shows that things are slowly getting better for African-Americans. It's a credit to the NFL and society as a whole.
For those of you who think it's a non-story or racist, you need to imagine what it would be like if you and your people had been brought to someone else's country in chains, had been slaves until the mid 19th Century, had experienced legal discrimination until 40 years ago and had it made damn clear to you that your face didn't fit in many clubs and societies since then because you are black.
In such a "colour blind" society, why has there never been a non-white President? Why are most players in the glamour position of Quarterback white, when 75% of players are black? Why are most CEOs, Ivy League professors, actors, newcasters and rich people in general white? If you think that's BS, go to the richest areas in town you know and count how many people you see who are black in contrast to how many white people you see.
Why, in the "colour blind" society, has Chris Leak admitted to receiving racist mail? Was it sent by black people?

While I do see your point Gomez, you have to watch the coverage over here to understand the frustration with the media's handling of this. SportsCenter and NFL Primetime on ESPN mentioned it like five times, plus the first question when they go to interview Dungy or Smith, even immediately after the game, is "How does it feel to be the first African American head coach in the SB?" Since when did football become all about the coaches or civil rights? Shouldn't the question be to Dungy, "How does it feel to guide your team to its first SB in 35 years?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes