PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Already it begins - Revis takes a shot at Jets' front office

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the best defensive player in the NFL. If you took him off the Jets that defense would drop to the 20's. He's one of two players in the NFL (that already aren't on our team) that I'd break the bank for.
They already were 20th last year with him.

He's the best defensive player in the NFL. If you took him off the Jets that defense would drop to the 20's. He's one of two players in the NFL (that already aren't on our team) that I'd break the bank for.

I think Revis is great, but his ceiling is limited by what a CB can contribute.

Simply put, he can only have so much value.

Consider that the team is .500 over his career.
Consider that they were only 20th in defensive PPG last year; consider they were 29th in passing yards against in 2008 in spite of a solid season from him. No matter how good he is, he can only affect so much.

These are things you cannot say about players like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or even other great defenders like Ray Lewis. With a Brady or Manning on your team, your team will be good - regardless of everything else, and we've seen that. Putting Revis on your team does not guarantee success, not even close. And we've seen that.

Yet Revis is referred to as one of the top 5 players in the league. Sorry, but in terms of impact, he's not. And he's not even in in the discussion.

Last edited:
Impact or not. Revis is the best CB in the league. He even comes with his own set of rules ;).

But seriously....or as serious as we can get in these threads....what I think is happening is that since Revis has NO leverage in getting more money, he has decided that all he has left to him is to be a pain in the ass.

Every now and again, he will come out with seaminglyu innocuous, yet damaging statements that put the FO in a bad light....and he will keep on doing it until they either set him free or pay him.

He;s not only on an "island" during the game. He's on one off the field as well.

Consider that they were only 20th in defensive PPG last year; consider they were 29th in passing yards against in 2008 in spite of a solid season from him. No matter how good he is, he can only affect so much.

These are things you cannot say about players like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or even other great defenders like Ray Lewis. With a Brady or Manning on your team, your team will be good - regardless of everything else, and we've seen that. Putting Revis on your team does not guarantee success, not even close. And we've seen that.

Yet Revis is referred to as one of the top 5 players in the league. Sorry, but in terms of impact, he's not. And he's not even in in the discussion.

This.

Revis is one of the best individual players in the league, but a corner can't take over a game like an offensive player or a DE/OLB (or any great pass rusher, wherever he comes from).

A corner can take away one player all by himself if he's great. The game becomes 10 on 10.

A great WR can command double, and even triple, coverage rolled his way at times. It then becomes 10 on 9 (or 8) in favor of the offense. A corner can't cover 2 or 3 guys (though i'll admit he can allow the safeties to help cover someone else, but it is also highly dependent on what the offense is calling).

A shutdown corner simply isn't as valuable as the money he demands. You need good corners to limit WR's, you don't need to shut them down like Revis does. He's simply too good at what he does and commands a ridiculous amount of money because of it. I don't want him. I don't want his attitude.

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald can be triple covered and still get the ball if its well thrown. A corner doesn't have that impact.

You also have to then wonder - how many WR's are there in the league that need someone like Revis to cover them? A corner with less talent than Revis can handle most starting WR's in the NFL, and given that you don't even play half of the league every season you're unlikely to face one of those top tier WR's anyways.

Revis is an overpriced luxury, not a necessity to be a good defense. I'll take a super star at any other skill position over a corner any day of the week if they are going to demand big money.

Last edited:
Ty Law say's hi to Peyton Manning, 3 INTs AFC Championship 2003. I would call that taking over a game.

Last edited:

Exactly, the thing about great CBs is that you can always just not throw at them.

Exactly, the thing about great CBs is that you can always just not throw at them.

1 player taking away half the field is pretty huge.

LOL! Revis on the Patriots?

The New England Patriots will be lucky to retain Kyle Arrington next season.

Refer to Jason McCourty's contract for details.

Ty Law say's hi to Peyton Manning, 3 INTs AFC Championship 2003. I would call that taking over a game.

Gonna say Peyton is pretty dumb for throwing at a CB who obviously knew what he was doing. Ty Law made it 10 on 10 and Peyton kept throwing to something that wasn't there.

I would call it Peyton forcing the issue more than Law taking the game over. Law just took his man out of the game.

Revis doesn't take away half the field. He takes away 1 man. Does Revis somehow cover his man and anyone else on his side of the field?

You're greatly overstating what he does by going that far.

I think it's a misnomer to say 1 CB takes away half the field. I'd say it's more a 1/4 of the field.

i would not like divisive figure like him on this team.
You're seeing the worst of him under Rexius. I think that many people would pop off under Rex but not under Bill. There is no control there.

In a presser Wrecks said that Hunter excelled as the sixth man.
Talk about losing what was left of a shattered credibility.

OTOH, maybe he was just admitting it doesn't take much to impress him.

I don't want a player on a team who doesn't recognize that as a "team", there are other players on it too.
He's in the wrong subculture. He's being led wrong. He seems like a good kid in interviews. He's soft spoken, smart, and does not appear to be a trouble maker. But he's being taught to use his mouth by his coach.

Ty Law was capable of three picks in that game for many reasons, an excellent game plan by Romeo and Belichick, - the pressure up front was superb, other options were taken away by other defenders, the game was outdoors in the snow - not in a dome, and Manning got smacked around all day leading to several poor throws.

Law had a great day, but that was a great team doing its job all over the field.

More to the point, Revis is the player he is because he has a great defensive coach running the show. The Jets will be a good defensive team in 2012 - probably very good. It's the offense that is undermanned and chaotic, really.

Revis is just agreeing with us, when he'd be better off shutting his mouth and not laying the foundation to blame the offense when they go 5-11 and Rex gets fired.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna say Peyton is pretty dumb for throwing at a CB who obviously knew what he was doing. Ty Law made it 10 on 10 and Peyton kept throwing to something that wasn't there.

I would call it Peyton forcing the issue more than Law taking the game over. Law just took his man out of the game.

Thats not really what happened though. He didn't cover one receiver man to man. His picks were in 3 different coverage duties. It was a great game by the defense and Law became the visible example, but to say he took a WR man on man and Manning was to dumb to throw elsewhere is just way off the mark.

The circus has begun without even a single snap in a live game yet. This is going to be epic.

This is too weird to see players taking shots at the front office and HC.

no offense, but we have more important things to worry about. If Revis takes a shot at his own team's front office, who cares? If he takes a shot at the pats, then it's a different story. Right now, we have an offensive line that's a turn style, a defensive backfield that can't cover and a 35 year old QB who's not playing particularly well.

no offense, but we have more important things to worry about. .
We, huh? So you are making the decisions around here about what we want to think about or discuss?

How about if you act like an adult and ignore posts with well described subjects for which you have no interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes