PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All time worst beating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan24

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Where does this game rank among the all time worst beatings? This has to be near the top when you consider the score, the stats, and the parity of todays NFL where good teams and bad teams are often seperated by only a few plays.

One of the worst ever but not the worst...they actualy tied the 1976 Rams with the exact same score of 59-0 so it's the second time since the merger that it has happened.

It is the worst thumping given in team history by points scored and margin of victory, previous record for points scored was 56 on 9/19/79 against the Jets and 11/18/07 against the Bills and previous record for margin of victory was 53 points done on 9/19/79 against the Jets

Last edited:
could have been 62-0 they missed that first FG. That was about the only thing that didnt work for them on Sunday

could have been 62-0 they missed that first FG. That was about the only thing that didnt work for them on Sunday

Should have been 64-0 if you count the safety that they "intentionally" decided to let slide.

Where does this game rank among the all time worst beatings? This has to be near the top when you consider the score, the stats, and the parity of todays NFL where good teams and bad teams are often seperated by only a few plays.

Worse ever was that 73-0 beating the Bears took in '49.

Worse ever was that 73-0 beating the Bears took in '49.

I might argue that this Pats beating was even worse. First, there are the stats. The Pats gained more total yards while giving up less (-7 passing yards and only 2 completions is just unfathomable). The more interested part is that the Bears did MOST of their damage in the 2nd half. They lead 28-0 at the half, but they kept their foot on the 'Skins throat all the way until the final seconds of the 4th Quarter.

The Pats, on the other hand, lead 45-0 at the half and then had Brady play just that one drive to start the 3rd. We certainly didn't play for "vengeance" like the Bears did. If we had, we could have easily scored 100 points.

Finally, in was 1940. Today, the league is all about Parity with a salary cap and the Titans did have the best record in the NFL last year. In terms of embarrassment, I think this is as bad as it gets, worse than that 1940 championship game.

I might argue that this Pats beating was even worse. First, there are the stats. The Pats gained more total yards while giving up less (-7 passing yards and only 2 completions is just unfathomable). The more interested part is that the Bears did MOST of their damage in the 2nd half. They lead 28-0 at the half, but they kept their foot on the 'Skins throat all the way until the final seconds of the 4th Quarter.

The Pats, on the other hand, lead 45-0 at the half and then had Brady play just that one drive to start the 3rd. We certainly didn't play for "vengeance" like the Bears did. If we had, we could have easily scored 100 points.

Finally, in was 1940. Today, the league is all about Parity with a salary cap and the Titans did have the best record in the NFL last year. In terms of embarrassment, I think this is as bad as it gets, worse than that 1940 championship game.

I love your siggie. Yesterday's game made me feel like that game did...I knew I missed it, but didn't realize how badly I missed it. I mean, I love a good close game as much as the next guy, but these types of victories are just fun.

FWIW, Football Outsiders ranked last year's Cardinals victory as the biggest regular-season shellacking they've seen since they began tracking game stats.

I suspect this game will NOT topple that one, only because of just how awful the Titans have been overall this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes