PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All-time underrated, overrated Patriots players

My $0.02 worth:

Overrated:

Irving Fryar (played 9 years for the Pats, so you can't call him a bust, but only one 1,000-yard season)

Willie McGinest (some highlight-real plays, but not enough of them. Averaged 58 tackles per season during his Patriots career)

Tim Fox (big hitter, below average coverage skills, even for a safety)

Underrated:

David Givens (Pats thought he could be easily replaced--he couldn't)

Raymond Clayborn (started almost every game at CB for 13 years)

Julius Adams (played 16 years, was their best d-lineman for maybe 15 of them)

Nope. Take a look at the YPA from 2002.

2002 NFL Player Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

So he was the 25th best QB in football in that category. Is that good?

Like I said, I know what I saw. He was NOT a great passer back then by any means and certainly wasn't THE reason why the Pats won a ring in 01. His numbers were pedestrian across the board. Thankfully he had a work ethic second to none. He busted his ass and totally committed himself to improving to get where he is today. Deserves all the accolades he gets.

Who gives a **** about YPA or 50+ yards passes? I don't think you could find two more useless stats if you tried. He took a team that was 0-2, averaging 10 points a game (and 5-11 averaging 17 points a game the year before) and led them to a an 11-3 record averaging 25 points per game as well as a 3-0 playoff record on the way to a SB championship. All the while you still had half the fan base and media clamoring for Bledsoe to get his job back with the other half calling him a game manager. His only accolade was being named to the Pro Bowl and the SB MVP in 2001. Do you disagree with either award?

So I ask you, who exactly was he overrated by? You? And who the hell calls a a 2nd year player overrated, especially a 6th rounder that just QB'ed his team to a SB championship in his first year as a starter. You make no sense.

You wanna talk about an overrated QB the conversation should begin and end with Bledsoe.

Who gives a **** about YPA or 50+ yards passes? I don't think you could find two more useless stats if you tried. He took a team that was 0-2, averaging 10 points a game (and 5-11 averaging 17 points a game the year before) and led them to a an 11-3 record averaging 25 points per game as well as a 3-0 playoff record on the way to a SB championship. All the while you still had half the fan base and media clamoring for Bledsoe to get his job back with the other half calling him a game manager. His only accolade was being named to the Pro Bowl and the SB MVP in 2001. Do you disagree with either award?

So I ask you, who exactly was he overrated by? You? And who the hell calls a a 2nd year player overrated, especially a 6th rounder that just QB'ed his team to a SB championship in his first year as a starter. You make no sense.

You wanna talk about an overrated QB the conversation should begin and end with Bledsoe.

So in other words...you don't like what those stats say, so now they're "useless". LOL. Got it.

And unless you want to sound like a Tebowite stop counting his "wins". Wins are a TEAM stat. NOT a QB stat. Always was, and always will be. Period.

His stats in the 2001 SB: 16-27, 145 yards, 1 TD. You tell me if those are MVP numbers.

I won't disagree with you on Bledsoe, although I still think he doesn't get enough credit for helping to turn around the franchise.

So in other words...you don't like what those stats say, so now they're "useless". LOL. Got it.

And unless you want to sound like a Tebowite stop counting his "wins". Wins are a TEAM stat. NOT a QB stat. Always was, and always will be. Period.

His stats in the 2001 SB: 16-27, 145 yards, 1 TD. You tell me if those are MVP numbers.

So wins don't count but we should judge him by his yards per attempt and 50 yard passes. Are you seriously trying to say that? Please tell me you are so I can stop responding to these ridiculous arguments of yours. It's obvious you looked at the stat sheet and didn't watch the game. If you ever get a chance to watch a replay of the game watch the last 1:21 and tell me Brady didn't deserve the MVP

I won't disagree with you on Bledsoe, although I still think he doesn't get enough credit for helping to turn around the franchise.

Right, so you think he was overrated but don't think he gets enough credit. Got it.

Driving down to get Adam ready for the game winning field goal is a MVP status you moron. Just stop posting. You have no clue. You probably have a mark Sanchez jersey and think he is god.

So wins don't count but we should judge him by his yards per attempt and 50 yard passes. Are you seriously trying to say that? Please tell me you are so I can stop responding to these ridiculous arguments of yours. It's obvious you looked at the stat sheet and didn't watch the game. If you ever get a chance to watch a replay of the game watch the last 1:21 and tell me Brady didn't deserve the MVP

My game MVPs in order: Law, Adam and then Brady. Antowain Smith is in the conversation too, he had a hell of a game against the 3rd best run D in football. Now there's a guy for the underrated list.

Yards per attempt shows how effective a passing game is. When Brady put up 6.26 in 02 that was good for 25th best in the league. 25th best is not very effective in my opinion. And that stat has a lot more to do with the QB's performance than wins. Wins are a team stat. I said above that maybe overrated was the wrong word to use. But he definitely wasn't all that at the time.

Driving down to get Adam ready for the game winning field goal is a MVP status you moron. Just stop posting. You have no clue. You probably have a mark Sanchez jersey and think he is god.

Yeah, 16 for 27, 145 yards, 1 TD, 86.2 rating is awesome. MVP baby! :D A whopping 2 completions over 10 yards through the air. Yay! 85 of those 145 yards were YAC. Tremendous! And while we're at it, Trent Dilfer got ripped off, HE should have been MVP of the 2000 Super Bowl! I mean he didn't make a mistake either!! MVP!

Now another good candidate: Troy Brown. 6/90. Also had a hell of a game. Almost forgot about him. I'd even put him ahead of the guy who threw for 145 yards.

Brilliant last line by the way. What a zinger. Ouch.

How about the underrated category. I'll go with defense, and go with a player on the defensive line, one of my fav. DE/DT Jarvis Green, was a force both on the outside and inside and would have flourished as a starter on many other teams. He was very stout vs the run, and a very sturdy pass rusher who used a combination of high motor and strength to bull his way to the quarterback. One of the key pieces to those Championship defenses that nobody talks about. And the other reason that he is on this list is because his contributions led to Championships during the years when Vrabel, Seymour, Bruschi, McGinest, Ty Law and Rodney Harrison were getting all the press.

meh.....green was a great backup, but it pretty much ended there.......at 30, when the pats cut him, he wound up out of the league

Stephen Neal underrated. I just remember seemingly everytime he got injured, you noticed it alot.

Randall Gay underrated. Whenever a starting corner goes down nowadays and the CB issues we've had since 2009, you realize how valuable he was in '04.

Sorry, but when Drew Bledsoe came along we all expected after his first few seasons he was going to be no less than Dan Marino. Maybe if Parcells had stayed he would have been driven to be that great, but despite some great half seasons, Drew Bledsoe never became what it looked he was going to be, therefore he was overated.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back