PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All-time underrated, overrated Patriots players

Slade was overrated? Gotta disagree with that one.

This may be sacrilege but... Brady from 01-02 could probably go on the overrated list.

This may be sacrilege but... Brady from 01-02 could probably go on the overrated list.

No, it's not sacrilege. It's just idiotic. May I ask why?

No, it's not sacrilege. It's just idiotic. May I ask why?

I saw a tape of the "old" Brady and the difference in his game between then and now is like night and day. His numbers were pretty ordinary IMO. Back then all he really had was intangibles that suggested he might be something special someday, and we know how that turned out. But he was a good QB not a great QB. Yet.

JMO.

In 2001,Brady had a 69.3 Completion rate with no where near the receivers he had in 2012 and in 2012 he was at a 69.0 CR...less success than in 2001

How do you figure that he was overrated?

I saw a tape of the "old" Brady and the difference in his game between then and now is like night and day. His numbers were pretty ordinary IMO. Back then all he really had was intangibles that suggested he might be something special someday, and we know how that turned out. But he was a good QB not a great QB. Yet.

JMO.

Nobody back then really regarded Brady as a great quarterback. That didn't happen until after the 2004 season. He was regarded as a good young quarterback that had a bright future in the league. In that regard, I don't see how he was overrated.

In 2001,Brady had a 69.3 Completion rate with no where near the receivers he had in 2012 and in 2012 he was at a 69.0 CR...less success than in 2001

How do you figure that he was overrated?

I think you mixed up the 3 and the 9, it was 63.9% in 2001.

Tom Brady NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

If it was 69%, that would be impressive. But 85.9 passer rating and 6.5 YPA from 01-02... not so much. Then again those numbers are skewed a little since the league was not the passing league back then compared to today.

Sometimes you just have to go by what you see, and when I saw Brady back then without any hindsight I didn't think I was watching a future MVP and HOF'er. A lot of people called him a great QB back then, I just didn't see it.

Or maybe "overrated" is the wrong word...

the list isn't 'worst free agent signings' or 'biggest bust'. AD shouldn't be on the overrated list. It took most people 6-8 games to realize he was a bust and no one has an incorrect lasting memory of his greatness.

Kevin Faulk was pretty damn good so I'd say he was underrated. He is still the playmaker in Belichcik's go-to two point conversion play (think SD Divisional and Carolina SB).

A player who was generally lousy but people had a perception that he was good: Ben Watson. And a lot of safeties seem to be overrated by fans here. James Sanders, Eugene Wilson in the third super bowl year, etc. Apparently Belichick thought Lawyer Milloy was overrated.

Someone - not me - is going to make the Asante 2007 argument. All those ints were products of they system....

the list isn't 'worst free agent signings' or 'biggest bust'. AD shouldn't be on the overrated list. It took most people 6-8 games to realize he was a bust and no one has an incorrect lasting memory of his greatness.

Kevin Faulk was pretty damn good so I'd say he was underrated. He is still the playmaker in Belichcik's go-to two point conversion play (think SD Divisional and Carolina SB).

A player who was generally lousy but people had a perception that he was good: Ben Watson. And a lot of safeties seem to be overrated by fans here. James Sanders, Eugene Wilson in the third super bowl year, etc. Apparently Belichick thought Lawyer Milloy was overrated.

Someone - not me - is going to make the Asante 2007 argument. All those ints were products of they system....

IMO Watson is overrated only based on the expectations for a 1st round pick

People don't overrate Sanders at all. They just think highly of him because of the garbage that came after him. It was honestly great to watch how underappreciated he was when he was here and then watch the complete 180 on peopes' opinions of him in 2011.

BB, please read Kontra's post.
Thanks!

BB, please read Kontra's post.
Thanks!

I think he already did when he moved McCourty to safety, and invested numerous draft picks and free agency acquisitions at the position. ;)

I have a hard time regarding Adalius as overrated. He never lived up to the initial expectations when he signed, sure, but people realized that he wouldn't and adjusted those expectations pretty early on. Lots of guys have had the myth of their impact persist a lot longer- for example, if that's the standard, Chung blows him out of the water, IMO.

In fact, Chung is probably who I would add, simply because he was awful in coverage the entire time that he was here, and for some reason a whole lot of people were deeply in denial about it until it became absolutely impossible to ignore.

For underrated, I would consider adding Seymour. He was a game-changing force on defense, when he was here, and in the 5 years since he was traded the Pats have tried pretty hard to find players with that kind of talent on D, and have failed consistently to do so.

McCourty is very underrated.

He plays at an elite level but doesnt get the recognition like Rodney Harrison did either. Its a travesty really.

My wish is for someday in the near future, the rest of the NFL realizes what a special player Devin McCourty is.

He plays at an elite level but doesnt get the recognition like Rodney Harrison did either. Its a travesty really.

My wish is for someday in the near future, the rest of the NFL realizes what a special player Devin McCourty is.

You must have gotten your ass kicked by someone in a debate about him to keep going on like this.

To me a player not living up to (or exceeding) expectations corresponding with his draft status or salary is something quite different from being underrated or overrated, and the lists that NFL.com put together seem to mix those two ideas into one. Other than his rationale for the inclusion of Adalius Thomas and Chris Slade, at least Perillo for the most part avoided that trap.

All-time underrated, overrated Patriots players unveiled

Perillo's list. Not bad, I'd swap Grogan out for Bledsoe. Tebow probably already belongs on the overrated list. Other than that, too early in the morning to come up with any other glaring misses.
TFB may be the GOAT, but he has and never will live up to the accolades piled upon him. So he is overrated despite his accomplishments. No disrespect -- I love the man.

I love that Antowain Smith made the underrated list. He was so classy and just what the team needed when he arrived. Compare to overrated clock-killin-dillon.

Is it possible for a player to be both overrated and underrated? If so, I nominate jim plunkett. I can't believe how quickly he has faded from Patriot lore. My father thought 'The Indian' was the savior of the franchise yet today few pay any tribute at all despite his amazing run in Oakland -- I know, Oakland, but still...

That's funny you say that, because I remember midseason when you were thrashing the guy, saying that he's the reason our secondary was sucking.

Wait, you don't remember?? :bricks: Or are you using extreme level sarcasm??

I'd say Thomas is underrated if anything, you'd think the guy was Monty Beisel reading some of the stuff on him. He was pretty good before he broke his arm midway through 08. Granted he wasn't the guy the pats thought they were getting but he was pretty big in getting to 18-0. Dude almost made the play that got them to 19-0 if somebody had recovered that fumble. 09 of course he fumed out. And I think Faulk has gotten enough praise that he isn't really underrated anymore. Great role player tho that catch in the 08 AFCCG was something else.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back