Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Joe Montana

I'd then trade Manning for a Jerry Rice + a pick
I'd then trade Montana for Reggie White + a pick
I'd then trade Brady (gasp!) for Steve Young + a pick or two
I'd then trade 2 picks and try to score Barry Sanders
I'd then trade my last pick or two and try to score Wes Welker

Final Lineup - Young, Rice, Welker, Sanders, White ...

This makes some assumptions but my basic strategy would be to gather the 3 best QBs available, trade them all for players+picks, and assemble the best team. My theory being that even if Brady/Montana (GOATs) weren't on my team, I'd still have the best overall team and win the most games. (Also mitigates a single injury becoming catastrophic for my team.)

Please note, this type of thinking may ultimately be why BB falls short as a GM time-to-time. LOL

Brady/LT/Rice

No matter what the overall rules or other specifics are, you take a QB. Duh.

OL tend to be durable, so that supports the widespread idea of taking a tackle.

Durability -- not that I've looked up how long each lasted -- might also be a reason for White over Taylor, if you want a rusher. Also, we're in a different era now; Taylor might wash out of the league fast given his lifestyle choices. (Or he might do a better job of controlling them, but do you want to take that chance?)

I can't find a CB to take; Darrell Green is durable enough, but I want somebody more physical given the utter eliteness of the guys we're picking.

Ed Reed is on my short list too. And Ray Lewis as well.

No matter what the overall rules or other specifics are, you take a QB. Duh.

OL tend to be durable, so that supports the widespread idea of taking a tackle.

Durability -- not that I've looked up how long each lasted -- might also be a reason for White over Taylor, if you want a rusher. Also, we're in a different era now; Taylor might wash out of the league fast given his lifestyle choices. (Or he might do a better job of controlling them, but do you want to take that chance?)

I can't find a CB to take; Darrell Green is durable enough, but I want somebody more physical given the utter eliteness of the guys we're picking.

Ed Reed is on my short list too. And Ray Lewis as well.
I'd take any of Brady, Montana or Unitas. I'd then go with Reggie White and Taylor. White could dominate anywhere along the line and Taylor could cause mayhem from anywhere.
A close runner up is Ronnie Lott for his ability to set the tone on D.

In the modern NFL

Brady (GOAT winning % off the charts 78% vs 71% for Montana), Jim Brown for run oriented league

Ed Reed totally disruptive player R Lott for more run Oriented league

Munoz GOAT Tackle IMO, J Hannah for run oriented past

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back