PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

all things Fiedler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Fungi

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Partly to deflect attention from the Ty Law threads, but also solicit views...I'd like introduce a thread about Jay Fiedler...

I have no use for him and am not interested in signing him.

Dude had surgery on his throwing shoulder at the end of the season and there is zero information on his status.

The NYG are supposedly interested in him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/414300p-350230c.html

BACKUP PLAN: Ex-Jet QB Jay Fiedler (shoulder) is expected to begin throwing later this month, according to his agent, Brian Levy. The Giants have "remained in contact," Levy said. "(But) at this point we are waiting until Jay is able to begin throwing to give him a better opportunity to impress his potential suitors." The Giants are interested in bringing Fiedler to camp to compete with Tim Hasselbeck for the backup QB job.

Originally published on May 3, 2006

What I don't get--is why so many people think he'd be a quality addition. With the exception of the typical pre-game description of Fiedler as a talented opponent, has Coach ever made any public statements endorsing Fiedler??

Fiedler...does not do much for me...

http://kffl.com/player/1050/nfl

a little more from KFFL

Giants | Team checking out Fiedler
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:14:44 -0700
Mike Garafolo, of the Star-Ledger, reports agent Brian Levy said free agent QB Jay Fiedler (Jets) recently took a physical in New York conducted by a New York Giants team physician. Fiedler is recovering from shoulder surgery performed in 2005. "They were pleased with the results," Levy said. "He won't be throwing for another four-five weeks, so we are in no rush."

and his regular season stats of course...

69TDs, 66INTs, 58.7% completion rate

re

There aren't very many veteran QB's who I would feel okay stepping in for a game or two. Fiedler would be one of the few veterans that I would be alright with running the offense if something happened to Brady. It's not that Fiedler is that great, but whether or not Cassel could handle #2 (I think he could).

I think Jay Fiedler is the beneficiary of Tom Brady's struggles against the Dolphins defense. Pat's fans developed the perception that Fiedler was a better QB than he is.

He was a UDFA who didn't play at all for his first 4 seasons in Philly. They waived him and the Bungles kicked his tires before he landed on the Amsterdam Admirals. He even coached at Hofstra before Minnesota and then JAX took FA flyers on him. Only had one career start before he got to Miami at 29. He started all but one game for the 'Phins in his first two seasons there and did engineer some come from behinds too many folks are remembering like it was yesterday. Then he and Wanny and the team started a slow and painful downward spiral during which he was often injured. In 4 years he threw 3 more TD's than INT's.

Then as the expensive backup to Noodle Arm he managed to go out just 7 plays after replacing him (I seem to recall trying to tackle a guy he just threw an INT to). Noodle was on life support after back to back rotator/labrum injuries, yet he is reportedly back throwing (if you can call it that) a month before the now 34 year old Fiedler.

No way he could impart any sage wisdom to Tommy and I don't even want him talking to Cassel. I doubt he'd be healthy enough to run the scout team, let alone willing to learn a new offense just to hold the clipboard. Coughlin wanted Flutie last year and had to settle for the other Hasselback. He seems to really want a veteran between Tim and Eli and as a native New Yorker Fiedler will certainly want that job and the #2 salary that goes with it. Last year the JETS paid him $1.5M for taking 7 snaps.

I wish Doug had had one more season in him just to carry the freakin' clipboard!!! This is a horrid market for backup QB's or even functional #3's. After this season if Cassel progresses as well as he is poised to we are likely comfortable not carrying the aging vet and our #3's are developmental kids.

I suspect that the former starters Fiedler, Collins, & Ferrotte would like to be starters. But if that is not in the cards, where would you rather be a backup QB? A team that has enough talent on both O and D to be a Super Bowl highly rated contender or a rebuilding club?

If you should get called on to play in NE you have a great opportunity to go and win a SB and revive your career,as well as get a ring. Even if you don't play how about picking up a ring?

Last edited by a moderator:
AzPatsFan said:
I suspect that the former starters Fiedler, Collins, & Ferrotte would like to be starters. But if that is not in the cards, where would you rather be a backup QB? A team that has enough talent on both O and D to be a Super Bowl highly rated contender or a rebuilding club?

If you should get called on to play in NE you have a great opportunity to go and win a SB and revive your career,as well as get a ring. Even if you don't play how about picking up a ring?

I think Jay Fielder has a pretty good chance to be the veteran quarterback we will pick up especially if he has a good relationship with BB.

Honestly, I don't care who our backup QB is. If Brady goes down, our season's over. We would've been 6-10 last year with any other QB in the league as our QB.

Last edited:
broadwayjoe said:
especially if he has a good relationship with BB.

you peruse as much media as anyone here broadway--do you recall any specific references that support this contention?

thanks!

Flying Fungi said:
you peruse as much media as anyone here broadway--do you recall any specific references that support this contention?

thanks!

I started out the statement with if he has a nice relationship but heres a little info.

Levy said Fiedler has long admired Belichick.

“I know that over the years he and Belichick have had a nice respect and understanding of each other,†Levy said. “Jay always enjoyed playing against the Patriots, because he never knew what they were going to throw at him.â€

Flying Fungi said:
Partly to deflect attention from the Ty Law threads, but also solicit views...I'd like introduce a thread about Jay Fiedler...

I have no use for him and am not interested in signing him.

Dude had surgery on his throwing shoulder at the end of the season and there is zero information on his status.

The NYG are supposedly interested in him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/414300p-350230c.html

What I don't get--is why so many people think he'd be a quality addition. With the exception of the typical pre-game description of Fiedler as a talented opponent, has Coach ever made any public statements endorsing Fiedler??

Fiedler...does not do much for me...

We have been discussing him and others @
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=35889

If not Fiedler then who out there interests you? I think Fiedler can lead the troops for 4-5 games.. Blake and Collins make me cringe when I think of them playing for the pats.

broadwayjoe said:
I started out the statement with if he has a nice relationship but heres a little info.

Levy said Fiedler has long admired Belichick.

“I know that over the years he and Belichick have had a nice respect and understanding of each other,†Levy said. “Jay always enjoyed playing against the Patriots, because he never knew what they were going to throw at him.â€

yeah--not trying to indict you for anything--I've simply seen a number of folks make reference to Belichick liking Fiedler or something similar--but I get the feeling that Belichick likes Fiedler about as much as he likes any opposing QB--he talks them up and compliments them and describes the things that said QB does well. I think a case could be made for Belichick 'liking', 'respecting' or 'admiring' pretty much any QB in the league--but that doesn't mean he'd want to coach them.

that's my take on that point at least...

Thanks for digging up the medical info FF, I have been wondering if Fieds had been put back together again when no one had talked about him visiting some of the QB hungry teams out there.

Just say no to Fiedler. Cassel is the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back