PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All the Patriots cuts merged mega thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Damione Lewis Cut

I am not quite sure if ANY of our current RBs will be signed next season...IIRC they are all in thier last seasons and Faulk will probably retire in 2011

We will be rebuilding that area next season and IMO it starts with a highly heralded RB who will likley have to be picked early..
if not the 1st then the 2nd round
Running backs picked in the 1st round are usually a waste. The shelf life on them is too short to be worth a 1st round pick especially since a good offensive line is way more important than an elite running back.

You can find quality running backs in free agency and late in the draft every year. It's not worth it to waste a 1st rounder on a running back when the team has other issues it needs to address that aren't as easy to take care of in free agency. Getting an elite DE prospect like Marcell Dareus is way more important than an elite RB prospect like Mark Ingram.

If they can find a guy like DeMarco Murray in the 2nd round, that'll be fine as the building block for the RB position. The 1st round needs to address DE moreso than anything else.

Re: Damione Lewis cut

With the injuries, youth and uncertainty we have on the DL, he must have really stunk up the joint.

Moving on...

Running backs picked in the 1st round are usually a waste. The shelf life on them is too short to be worth a 1st round pick especially since a good offensive line is way more important than an elite running back.

You can find quality running backs in free agency and late in the draft every year. It's not worth it to waste a 1st rounder on a running back when the team has other issues it needs to address that aren't as easy to take care of in free agency. Getting an elite DE prospect like Marcell Dareus is way more important than an elite RB prospect like Mark Ingram.

Not having seen much of Dareus, how long are his arms? He's definitely got the weight for DE that the Pats like, but he's a tad short at 6'2 and 6/8" (if that is his real height) . Also, what is the likelihood of him declaring as a junior? Especially if the NFL labor negotiations are at a standstill?

The Pats will also, certainly, look at Cam Heyward and Jarvis Jenkins.. Marvin Austin might have gotten a look, but his suspension doesn't help him.

Not having seen much of Dareus, how long are his arms? He's definitely got the weight for DE that the Pats like, but he's a tad short at 6'2 and 6/8" (if that is his real height) . Also, what is the likelihood of him declaring as a junior? Especially if the NFL labor negotiations are at a standstill?

The Pats will also, certainly, look at Cam Heyward and Jarvis Jenkins.. Marvin Austin might have gotten a look, but his suspension doesn't help him.

Yeah Cam Heyward, Jenkins and that guy on Miami (his name is slipping my mind) are other possibilities, Dareus is just my personal favorite.

Dareus is listed at 6'4" at the places I've looked so his height doesn't bother me. If he has the huge breakout year most people expect then he'll probably declare early since he's potentially a top 10 pick. The 2 game suspension hurts his stock a lot, but last year he had 6 sacks in 4 starts. His ceiling is probably the highest of all the 3-4 DE prospects next year.

Re: Damione Lewis cut

these cuts happen way to slow

Not shocked at the Lewis cut. He looked lost out there.

Not shocked at the Lewis cut. He looked lost out there.

You know your days are numbered when the Coach sends out an O-lineman who last played D-line as a freshman in college to replace you. You know that the number is likely 1 when said replacement looks better than you did (even slightly).

Yeah Cam Heyward, Jenkins and that guy on Miami (his name is slipping my mind) are other possibilities, Dareus is just my personal favorite.

Dareus is listed at 6'4" at the places I've looked so his height doesn't bother me. If he has the huge breakout year most people expect then he'll probably declare early since he's potentially a top 10 pick. The 2 game suspension hurts his stock a lot, but last year he had 6 sacks in 4 starts. His ceiling is probably the highest of all the 3-4 DE prospects next year.

Absolutely.

Championships are won In The Trenches.

And Marcell Dareus has SuperStar potential.

I could NOT agree with this more, and have been PREACHING this approach.

This very year, we could've scooped up Deji Karim in the 5th or 6th Round, and Joique Bell as a UFA.

Don't even get me STARTED on who's been picked up in later rounds, this decade.

The propensity to draft RB's early ~ in favor of O Linemen and D Linemen ~ is something I find truly AMAZING.

Patriots twitter say OL Ghiacuic has been released.

This very year, we could've scooped up Deji Karim in the 5th or 6th Round, and Joique Bell as a UFA.

The propensity to draft RB's early ~ in favor of O Linemen and D Linemen ~ is something I find truly AMAZING.
But they don't score touchdowns :confused:

;)

He'd already lasted longer than I thought he would.

I had forgotten about him; so can't say he lasted longer than I thought :)

Maybe I remembered him longer than I thought ;)

I expected Lewis and Butler to be cut. Myers doesn't surprise me, exactly, although I thought he acquitted himself well last night. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the team if any of the TEs go down

I expected Lewis and Butler to be cut. Myers doesn't surprise me, exactly, although I thought he acquitted himself well last night. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the team if any of the TEs go down

Myers to PS, definitely.

Especially to run a 3-4, the DL need to be beasts for that. Most especially since Ingram apparently just had minor knee surgery.

Just look at Mike Shanahan's career. He's shown that good linemen + a good blocking scheme can make undrafted running backs look like probowlers.

Fortunately after the last RB BB took in the 1st round I doubt he does it again anytime soon. BB knows that he has focused way too much on finesse the last few years and needs to get back to winning the trench battle on both sides of the ball, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of their first 4 picks are offensive/defensive linemen next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes