PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All right No Stallworth what is next...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say we just draft a day 1 WR. Robert Meachem, Jason Hill, the kid from NH, etc.

How is it pointless, besides Terry Glenn, and Randy Moss.. What other Rookie Wr has made a huge impact.. Wr is a hard postion to learn for a rookie, espically with our offense..

Look what about that WR for Saints and he was 7th....You are saying all rookies don't have a chance...

Look what about that WR for Saints and he was 7th....You are saying all rookies don't have a chance...

all right you made your point, my bad but still that is not going change my mind that I feel another Vet WR is a priority.. But forgot about Colston from Hofstra, as well as many other teams did..

all right you made your point, my bad but still that is not going change my mind that I feel another Vet WR is a priority.. But forgot about Colston from Hofstra, as well as many other teams did..

I feel your pain brother....This Stallworth thing is driving everybody over the edge a bit....But who has the same quality of Stallworth,no Moss please....

I feel your pain brother....This Stallworth thing is driving everybody over the edge a bit....But who has the same quality of Stallworth,no Moss please....

No Moss for me either .. Guess we will wait a couple more days to find out..

Ive said I would take a flyer on Kelly Washington , he could be a intriguing prospect..

How is it pointless, besides Terry Glenn, and Randy Moss.. What other Rookie Wr has made a huge impact.. Wr is a hard postion to learn for a rookie, espically with our offense..

Marques Colston, Anquin Boldin, etc.
There are plenty of rookie wrs that make an impact. But I do agree that the majority of rookie wideouts do not make an impact. Even some of the all time greats at the position have had forgettable rookie seasons.
But just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it can't happen.

I'd prefer a FA wideout because of the percentages but if we don't ink Stallworth I'd have to consider adding a rookie at the position. With Chad Jackson hurt and apparently struggling with the playbook the Pats don't really have a stretch the field speedster like Stallworth. We used to have one with Patten that would catch some long balls and keep defenses honest but he's long gone.

I like the Wes Welker acquisition but I'm not sure he's enough. Apparently the Pats don't either or they wouldn't have offered 32M and a 12M signing bonus to Stallworth.

I say we just draft a day 1 WR. Robert Meachem, Jason Hill, the kid from NH, etc.

I like Meachem's characteristics. He could be explosive for the Pats and he might be around for 1 of our picks.

Hill was flat out one of the fastest wide receivers at the combine when it came to the 40 yard dash but he didn't participate or wow in the other drills that I can remember so I'd rather Meachem since he has a reputation for running good routes, which Brady loves.

Last edited:
What about that Kelly Washington????Heard he is a shelfish player????

Clam up on that. We don't want that getting around.

Marques Colston, Anquin Boldin, etc.
There are plenty of rookie wrs that make an impact.

Yes, over the last 10 years there have been plenty of rookie WR's who made an impact.

However, you should consider that WR is the single most-drafted position. Each year about 32 wide receivers are drafted. Compare that to 8 or so MLB's.

Of those 32, usually 2 or 3 make an impact their rookie season. The odds are longer on rookie WR's than any other position, bar none.

You might be able to make a list of 10 or even 20 rookie wide receivers that had key roles from the past decade. Out of well over 300 players.

Those are the facts.

I'm ok with the receivers they have with Welker signed. But, if we dont get Stallworth, I wouldnt mind seeing the Pats go after Moulds. He would come cheap and would add some depth to what we have now.

:p All Right add Daniel Graham to the list of people contract offer, than visited , then came back and signed.. I will punish my self and not post anything Donte Stallworth related till Fri

I'm ok with the receivers they have with Welker signed. But, if we dont get Stallworth, I wouldnt mind seeing the Pats go after Moulds. He would come cheap
That's because his only claim to fame was his speed and now he has none. He can't run routes and so would make a less than great fit as a Pat.

Yes, over the last 10 years there have been plenty of rookie WR's who made an impact.

However, you should consider that WR is the single most-drafted position. Each year about 32 wide receivers are drafted. Compare that to 8 or so MLB's.

Of those 32, usually 2 or 3 make an impact their rookie season. The odds are longer on rookie WR's than any other position, bar none.

You might be able to make a list of 10 or even 20 rookie wide receivers that had key roles from the past decade. Out of well over 300 players.

Those are the facts.

Seems to me that quite a lot of the time it's the rookie WRs taken slightly lower down the draft that end up making the immediate splash too - the two mentioned were taken outside of the first round; Bolquin at 54 and Colston at 252.

Every year there seems to be a "franchise" WR taken in the top 10, but they're almost always outperformed (in their rookie years, at least) by lower picks. Such an unpredictable position!

well unlike any other position there is the whole factor of who is throwing the ball too them...a hand-off is a hand-off and a block is a block....but in imo, the guy throwing the ball to you really changes productivity of a wr...obviously:cool:

btw i dont think we gave him much of an offer...if you remember he was the one that said he wanted to play here, we prob. didnt initiate. I have a feeling he left NE in a sour mood because BB wouldnt cough up what he wanted...tough luck..

Last edited:
well unlike any other position there is the whole factor of who is throwing the ball too them...a hand-off is a hand-off and a block is a block....but in imo, the guy throwing the ball to you really changes productivity of a wr...obviously:cool:

btw i dont think we gave him much of an offer...if you remember he was the one that said he wanted to play here, we prob. didnt initiate. I have a feeling he left NE in a sour mood because BB wouldnt cough up what he wanted...tough luck..

This can be true,but who is next on the radar.....

From the reports I have read NE offered 32M with 12M guaranteed. Considering Stallworth missed something like four games last season with a hammy injury I would say that is a really good offer.

I can see the Titans going higher just so they can steal him away from the Patriots (Fisher has done this before), but will they? According to askthecommish, the Titans have around 18-19M in cap space, so they could go higher. The Titans have a bunch of holes to fill though, and maybe the questions concerning his hamstring will keep them from offering to much.

The Dolphins don't have crap for cap space after signing Joey Porter, and I can't see them going any higher for him, anyways. Unless the Dolphins release CC, which is rumored to happen.

Stallworth also received an offer from the Eagles, but none of us know what the offer was. According to Adam Schefter, Stallworth is meeting with the Titans today, the Dolphins tomorrow, and sometime friday he is going to decide which offer to except.

Stallworth said he want's to play for a contending team, and he has said the Eagles, and Patriots are his top choices. Also, if people think free agents ont take a discount to play here you're wrong. Colvin, and Thomas both signed for lessthan they could have got elsewhere.

If BB/SP offered $32M, $12M guaranteed, they should have their heads examined. There's no way that I offer more than a one-year contract, with perhaps optional years if certain incentives (games active, citizenship) are met.

The day Troy Brown retires will be a very sad day, indeed. If he does, however, some older vet FA WRs to consider are: Corey Bradford, Bobby Engram, Kevin Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Sean Morey and Eric Moulds. Some younger vet UFA WRs are: Kevin Curtis (still available), Andre Davis (again?), Justin Gage, Lee Mays, Aaron Moorehead, Quincy Morgan and Kelley Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes