PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All Marion Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthPatriot

Banned
Reaction score
OK its easy to pick an all-time great team how about position by position a starting offense and a starting defense of all-time worst Patriots.One qualification they had to be a full time starter for at least one year for us.I nominate Marion Butts at running back.Have at thee.Try not to be too mean spirited.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll take me a while to think my all time worst (I have watched for more years than most of you), but I'll take some "gimmes"
QB (tie) Taliaferro/ M. Wilson/ T Hodson
RB Josh Aston
WR Greg McMurtry
G Eugene Chung
C Trevor Matich
T Kenyatta Jones
K Scott Sisson
LB Bull Bramlett
S Harry Colon

Last edited:
CB - Antonio Langham

SamBamsFan said:
It'll take me a while to think my all time worst (I have watched for more years than most of you), but I'll take some "gimmes"
QB (tie) Taliaferro/ M. Wilson/ T Hodson
RB Josh Aston
WR Greg McMurtry
G Eugene Chung
C Trevor Matich
T Kenyatta Jones
K Scott Sisson
LB Bull Bramlett
S Harry Colon

Did we have to bring up Missin Sisson! Seriously you should be banned for a day for mentioning that name. :D

On that note I nominate Ken Walter for worst punter! :singing:

WR: Michael Timpson
QB: Scott Secules or Hugh Millon or Tommy Hodson (did he start a whole year?)

NT: Steve Martin
ILB: Chad Brown/Monty Beisel
LOT: Max "Turnstyle" Lane
ROT: Greg Robinson-Randel
P: Troy Walters
TE: Lovett Purnell (Didn't he start after Coates was cut but before Wiggins... not sure who that was)
WR: Donald Hayes deserves mentioning since he was a FA WR that WAS a starting WR who left for more money not because he sucked... although he did suck.

oh yeah... Tony Simmons... not a starter, but evoking his name in this thread was a must.

Purnell was hardly the worst TE we've ever had. He made a few big plays in that 96 run, though he was mediocre the rest of his career. Try Rod Rutledge if you're looking for bad.

Some of you guys are thinking way too recent. Early 90s, of course, are the best place to look, but there were alot of bad players in other decades too.

Were you afraid to mention Chris Canty?

Last edited:
I dont know if Butts even makes the team named after him.

Reggie One Yard Dupard was worse, although he may not make the start for a year rule.

CB Duane Starks - worst use of a 3rd rounder ever
CB Dion Lambert - who? that says it all
WR Greg McMurtry - Timpson was better than McMurtry
LB Dwayne Sabb - zero impact
QB Michael Bishop - most overrated QB that never did anything
QB Tommy Hodson - He of the 54% career completion percentage

But I saved the worst for last
*Drum Roll* Worst Patriot:

TE Zeke Mowatt - the Olson incident was the shame of Foxboro

There is even a Blurb on Wikipedia commemorating the shame:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Olson

Last edited:
Zeke Mowatt saved the Patriots. There was an article awhile ago that connected Mowatt's manhood to the salvation of the Patriots because it led to Kraft buying the team.

RB would be Dupard or Vagas Ferguson.

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for Hart Lee Dykes?

primetime said:
Zeke Mowatt saved the Patriots. There was an article awhile ago that connected Mowatt's manhood to the salvation of the Patriots because it led to Kraft buying the team.

RB would be Dupard or Vagas Ferguson.

Dupard never started for a year because of his chronic turf toe issues. Zeke Mowatt got me thinking though, "Weird Sam" Jankovich has to be GM of this team. Bobby Grier & Upton Bell were pretty inept (and would be on almost any other teams hall of shame), but Weird Sam was in a class by himself. Who was the coach who came from the Jets around 1970 & nearly eletracuted himself on the mike @ his intro press conference? He or Rod Rust would be my coaches.
Add Edit: That would be Clive Rush. His successor, John Mazur, would also qualify. I think I was trying to block out those years of infamy...

Last edited:
Can't believe he wasn't mentioned, but Chris Canty is a mortal lock to hold down one of the CB spots.

As far as QB, I can't recall anyone worse than Marc Wilson. I remember as a kid, watching him play and just take sacks and throw balls at people's feet, and thinking to myself "God, please, God, why can't we have an actual quarterback!?"

I cant' recall any player ever who made me feel that sort of depressed desperation.

I'm pretty sure Max Lane is on the line somewhere.

And agree, Reggie Dupard was pretty bad. Did Cory Croom start enough to qualify?

tombonneau said:
Can't believe he wasn't mentioned, but Chris Canty is a mortal lock to hold down one of the CB spots.

As far as QB, I can't recall anyone worse than Marc Wilson. I remember as a kid, watching him play and just take sacks and throw balls at people's feet, and thinking to myself "God, please, God, why can't we have an actual quarterback!?"

I cant' recall any player ever who made me feel that sort of depressed desperation.

I'm pretty sure Max Lane is on the line somewhere.

And agree, Reggie Dupard was pretty bad. Did Cory Croom start enough to qualify?
He can be our nickel back.

primetime said:
Purnell was hardly the worst TE we've ever had. He made a few big plays in that 96 run, though he was mediocre the rest of his career. Try Rod Rutledge if you're looking for bad.

Were you afraid to mention Chris Canty?

Right on! Rod Rutledge. That was who I meant. I knew Purnell didn't sound right. Thanks.

As for Chris Canty, I don't remember him starting for us. That is why I left him off the list along with others like Tony Simmons, Adrian Klemm, Earthwind Moreland, Tommy Knight, Scott Marriott, etc)

tombonneau said:

Croom was never that bad. Sedrick Shaw, on the other hand... but neither of them started enough games.

Canty started for an entire season, if I remember correctly.

Yeah I still wince when I remember Earthwind Moreland's tenure with the Pats. A name that will live in infamy...

Great name but burned more often than toast.

What round did we draft Chris Canty again?
Yeah he was a pretty big bust for a 1st round pick. That pick was an earmark of the Grier years.

Hey dont forget Andy Katzenmoyer the next year. "Big Kat" was more like a ****ycat than a linebacker. :p

And those of you who keep saying linebacker is a safer 1st round pick, I refer you to above. Pats have had more success drafting WR's in the first round. Compare to Terry Glenn. (great talent, just a headcase that ended up not being worth it).

Donald Hayes was also pretty bad IIRC.

BTW Was Reggie Dupard any good? Pats 1st round pick in 1986.
They made up for it with Bruce Armstrong in 87.
But followed that up with Hart Lee Dykes in 1989. But it's hard to foresee freak injuries.

Interesting article from Page2 naming the the 1990 Pats as one of the worst teams of all time. Also mentions the Dykes injury.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/worstNFL.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back