Welcome to PatsFans.com

All in the family

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Rand Paul Not Board Certified: Kentucky Senate Hopeful Faces Challenge From Medical Panel

Rand Paul, who touts his career as a Kentucky eye doctor as part of his outsider credentials in his campaign for U.S. Senate, isn't certified by his profession's leading group.

He tried Monday to bat away questions about it by calling it an attack on his livelihood, saying the scrutiny stems from his challenge of a powerful medical group over a certification policy he thought was unfair.

The libertarian-leaning Republican helped create a rival certification group more than a decade ago. He said the group has since recertified several hundred ophthalmologists, despite not being recognized the American Board of Medical Specialties – the governing group for two dozen medical specialty boards.

Paul has been certified through the National Board of Ophthalmology since 2005. He is listed as the group's president; his wife, Kelley, is listed as vice president; and his father-in-law is listed as secretary. Paul and his relatives receive no salaries from the organization, his campaign said.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

I love how the anti-establishment candidates are being slandered from all sides. It is so telling about both the establishment, and the sheep that are slaves to it. You don't need a current certification to operate in Kentucky, and the reason why he started the rival board, is because he felt the rule surrounding recertification some 10 or so years ago, was BS. The new rule of the time, exempted older doctors from ever having to recertify, while younger doctors did. If the aim of the rule is to make sure practicing doctors are actively certified, how can so many be exempted? Of course, none of this has anything to do with his credentials as a practicing doctor either. It's to grab a headline so the dumb down crowd will think that the guy isn't a doctor, and lied about being one.

We get what we deserve.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Wow, talk about sheep -- the guy sets up a family organization to certify himself as an ophthalmologist and, since you like something about him (god knows what), you start blaming the establishment and the sheep for disparaging him. Then suddenly you become an expert in ophthalmologic certification issues (LOL) and regurgitate the Rand's family organization's point of view! That's exactly what they wanted you to do. Good boy!
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Rand Paul is a dope. He doesn't impress me in the least and he couldn't tie his father's shoes. Every now and then he sounds intelligent when he parrots the old man and the Teabaggers love it when he says the word "tea". He looked like a moron and took way too long to admit he would vote for the Civil Rights Act. He would still be a half-assed eye doctor if his father wasn't Ron Paul.

I have a friend who is about to hand his business down to his moron son who thinks he's smarter and better than his old man. The business will fail in a matter of months when that happens. I see it all the time.

Nothing to see here.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....the Huffington Post.

Good for him. Why are some exempt, and others not? To me, that means being recertified is BS. It's like saying people over 50 never have to renew their drivers license, but people 49 and under do. Think about that. Rand Paul is considered to be uncertified, but some 75 year old eye doctor who hasn't been recertified in 20 years automatically is. That makes sense. I've always applauded principle, so good for him.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

The same people that call Ron Paul a racist, are the one's trying to murder his son's chances with gotcha politics. I hope the guy wins, cuz lord knows the senate could use at least one person who isn't afraid to speak his mind. I guess people would prefer the sugar coats, who give the PC answer, as they load bills with pork, and give bailouts to anyone with a campaign check. No thanks.
  7. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +490 / 6 / -7

Well, color me convinced. Who cares if the guy is a nut and holds views wildly out of the mainstream? At least he speaks his mind!!
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 2 / -9

Why do liberals keep yapping about Rands Racism..........:confused:

RACISM ELECTED BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA AFTER THEY DID IT THEY BRAGGED ABOUT IT
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

What's mainstream Jack, or better yet, maybe I should ask "who's" mainstream, yours or someone elses? The establishment or "mainstream" sure has done a great job so far.

Oh well. The bad news is that there are too many sheep to reverse what is an unsustainable course. The good news is that the path being traveled, can't go on forever.
  10. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +490 / 6 / -7

Well, I don't really buy into libertarianism anyway, but beyond that. I mean, look at his father. Outside of Dennis Kucinich, there is probably not one more ineffective and impotent member of Congress out there.

For someone who likes to harp on Obama's purported lack of experience, it's interesting you would support someone's whose primary qualification is... being an eye doctor. He's spoken out against the Americans with Disabilities Act (really?). He's categorically opposed to public regulation of private enterprise. He wants to abolish the Department of Education, EPA, Federal Reserve, etc.

I do give him credit for being consistent on civil liberties. But that's about it.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Ron Paul, like it or not, allowed a racist newsletter, with his name, written by his aides, and with his Christmas greetings in them to go out. Maybe that's not enough to suggest racism to you, but it is to me.

And, why you want your children live in a society where if they go to the store, the store owner can tell them to get out because they are of your ethnicity or race is beyond me.

And you think the guy is ethical because he sets up a family organization to certify himself as an ophthalmologist? Yes, he is legally allowed to practice, but certification in any industry -- not just medicine -- usually indicates that the guy is receiving proper training, is up-to-date in his knowledge, and is engaged with professionals in his field. Setting up a rival organization is very odd, since usually these issues are fought out within certification organizations. Would you send your dad to a heart doctor who was certified by his wife and father-in-law? Give me a break.

You like Rand's tax talk because you take for granted clean air, clean water, police, fire departments, FBI, the military, homeless shelters, prisons, courts, schools, safe drugs, safe hospitals and work places, decent roads, safe bridges, pretty parks, that the mentally ill are largely out of sight, reliable currency, safe credit cards, trusted banks, and so on. The fact is, you really can't cut that much out of the budget. The only way to fix our deficit is to raise taxes and cut programs, but instead conservatives live in lala land thinking a $100 trillion deficit (to use patsfans13's link) can be paid for with budget cuts alone.
  12. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

I don't know why you even bother, it's not like you will ever vote for the same a$$holes that Patters, Jack or Wistah would.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

This is the senate. This isn't the presidency. There's a profound difference between the qualifications needed for a legislative position, versus an executive one. With respect to your first point, any single member of the legislature isn't going to have much power, nor should they. Especially two members of a 400+ person congress, who are anti-establishment! You keep voting in "mainstream" hacks that sell our future for the first piece of arse that comes their way. I'm not. I want principled people, and honest citizens serving. It's time for all the hack arsed losers to go.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

You're by far the least credible poster in this very forum. You're either not that bright, and lack the basic common sense needed to obtain a grasp of reality, or you're simply being intentionally obtuse. Since I believe you to be an educated, and intellectually capable man, I'm hoping it's the latter.

I bolded 3 parts. I won't even go near the racist drivel.

1) who said I would want my kids to grow up in such a society? The question isn't about condoning racism or discrimination. It's about a private individuals right of choice. It's a lose, lose topic, because the dumb down crowd & the greater MSM, paints it as you do.

2) Too funny. I really hope you're just being intentionally obtuse. If the point is to " indicate(s) that the guy is receiving proper training, is up-to-date in his knowledge, and is engaged with professionals in his field", then why are older doctors exempt from having to recertify? Cuz it's BS. If anything, you'd want older doctors to be the one's who recertify. It's more red tape, that likely comes with more jobs, power, and fees, for the organization/industry in charge. If one has to do it, so should all.

3) how does a person reply to diarea written on a screen? Um, incase you haven't been paying attention, western world welfare states across the planet, are crumbling under a mountain of fiscal debt. The "lala" way of the establishment is an epic fail. The answer is to live within our means, which means a combination of methods will be required. Clean air, clean toilets, blah, blah, blah...[​IMG]
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

Not anymore I won't. :mad:
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +490 / 6 / -7

I'm not voting anyone in, really.

And I just don't see the point in voting in someone because they materialized out of the ether and they have wacky views. I mean, you may hate Harry Reid, as I'm sure you do, but I would never vote for Sharron Angle because she's, well, bat**** crazy.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

So, it was okay for the Nazis to allow employers not to hire Jews. While I'm sure you disagree with the Nazi's more violent actions, you don't see any relationship between the decision to allow employers to discriminate against Jews and the eventual crimes against them? I do.

So, you set up an organization with your wife and father-in-law? Is that the way you fight you for change? I think that's not a credible method. Not only that, I don't take Rand's word for it blindly. I'd like to at least hear what the other side has to say. And why do you think he lied about the issue? (My partner and I are going to set up a board to say I'm a board certified mental health worker. Want to make an appointment?)

Rand Paul's ophthalmology certification not recognized by national clearinghouse | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul says he is a "board-certified" ophthalmologist -- even though the national clearinghouse for such certifications says he hasn't been for the past five years.

My only point was if you're worried about deficits, you have no choice but to cut spending and raise taxes. Cutting spending alone will not solve the deficit problem.
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If they are ignoring you, you have to worry as a candidate.

If they are butchering you left and right you know you are a viable candidate with a legitimate shot of both winning and making waves on both sides.

Every since he won the nomination Patters et al have been bashing him, yet no matter what they have done so far he is STILL the leader in polls by a healthy margin :rolleyes:
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Frankly, I don't have much motive here, considering that I strongly doubt in anyone in this forum is in a position to vote for or against Rand Paul. He was once leading by 25 points, but his lead is now down to 8%. He's a bizarre candidate, though I must admit I know next to nothing about Conway, his opponent, except that he's a fairly conservative Democrat (no surprise for Kentucky).
  20. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If he wasn't a viable candidate who was a threat to the establishment you wouldn't give a damn about him, yet here you are spouting off about him again trying to minimize him.

Thank you for proving my point Patters :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010