Welcome to PatsFans.com

All-Guaranteed Contracts Coming?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by flutie2phelan, Mar 5, 2006.

1. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Don't i remember that the reason why the future years of contracts are binding on players
    ... but not on the clubs; hence, "cuts" ... is that all those contracts occurred
    under a collective bargaining agreement? Hence labor law permitted them,
    as an exception to the general law of contracts.

Does it not follow that ... beginning when the CBA expires, after '07 ... contracts will be equally binding on the owners? Any player cut ... will be entitled to be paid the remaining value of his contract.

Correct this, if i'm wrong.

2. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I think Schefter just indirectly answered that question on NFL All Access. There is still a CBA in effect in 2007. In 2008 there will be a lockout because there are no rules. Only CHAOS. Then the league and a "new" union will have to come to some agreement going forward. Otherwise there are lots of issues including no draft and everyone not under current contract is a FA.

3. PatsSteve1

PatsSteve1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

* With no CBA extension, the cap is about 10 mill higher this year. It's not really going to be that much different this year except for planning deals as to future years beyond this one. They really have until this time next year to make a deal before all h*** breaks out.