PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All Access Drops Ball on Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizwor

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Troy Brown 'created opportunities' for Welker. Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker will likely surpass Troy Brown's franchise receiving record, which he tied last week, on Sunday. Welker on Friday credited Brown for paving the way for his role in New England. "Troy was just such a great player here for a long time and he's done so many great things here, and it's really opened up things here for the position that I now play, that was his. And it's created so many opportunities for me," Welker said.
It's been obvious to me that Welker's role in the road opener was throttled so that Brown could enter the Pats HoF with the record intact Saturday. I understand why the front office cannot say this and why the team would not. I can understand why Patriots All Access would not talk about this. What I cannot understand is why they would discuss other possibilities. Does it help ratings to speculate that the Pats are getting ready for life after WW? I expect Welker to have a big Sunday and that both he and Troy Brown will have a great weekend.

It's been obvious to me that Welker's role in the road opener was throttled so that Brown could enter the Pats HoF with the record intact Saturday. I understand why the front office cannot say this and why the team would not. I can understand why Patriots All Access would not talk about this. What I cannot understand is why they would discuss other possibilities. Does it help ratings to speculate that the Pats are getting ready for life after WW? I expect Welker to have a big Sunday and that both he and Troy Brown will have a great weekend.

I called this opinion out as 'horsecrap' when it got brought up in another thread.

1) What you quoted doesn't make it any more than speculation.

2) You're trying to tell me if Welker was wide open for a sure TD Brady wouldn't have hit him?

The Pats have more things to worry about than Troy Browns record...and certainly if Sunday had been a close game. Imagine the uproar if the Pats were deliberately not giving Welker the looks for an ex player to keep his record for his induction the following week.

Please, let's be serious.

I'd say that is not obvious. In fact, I'd say it's utterly wrong.

The scheme vs the Titans had a lot of 3TE sets with Lloyd and a RB. Is that a conspiracy to stifle Welker's stats, or the game plan to beat the Titans. I think it's pretty clearly the latter.

When has BB ever done anything with the intention to create a convenient PR slant?

Dude! You cannot really believe this.
Robert Kraft tells Brady to aviod WW so that a retired player can have some record when he goes into the Ring?
This tells me two things.

1) That you are immature to believe such rubbish and are likely a kid.
2) That you have no inderstanding of football.

Good luck!

Good to know the Patriots franchise has as many tin foil hats as other franchises.

I don't know....it sounds plausible to me but I'm sure it wasn't set in stone... probably the plan was to limit his catches "IF we can get away with it."

No chance whatsoever.

Kraft: So Bill we got this big promo thing going on. I'm sure you're aware. Think you could call Welkers number a little less often Sunday? It would really make this a special event.

BB: <blank stare>

It's been obvious to me that Welker's role in the road opener was throttled so that Brown could enter the Pats HoF

1292625104004.png

How about this much more plausible cause. The gameplan was set up to establish the run. See where they are from a proficiency and strength standpoint. Welker averaged five 1st downs a game last year. He was a machine. He, in essence was the equivalent to a solid run game.

Ridley had 10 first downs. Welker was simply left in the toolbox.

I will consider it if Felger considers it ... :trolls:......... :bricks::bricks::bricks:

Last edited:
It's a good thing that this kind of logical inference isn't made for more important matters such as those of public policy.

thumbnail.aspx

It's always a joy to come on the site in the morning and see what interesting threads have been posted during the late night.

Last edited:
I thought I saw somewhere that Edelman was in for some plays in place of Welker. Wouldn't that support the possibility that they were trying to save Welker until after Troy's induction?

As for Belichick making a move for PR, who knows? I think that he has tried to get players records before, and we know he has a ton of respect for Brown.

I don't think it's so far fetched.

I thought I saw somewhere that Edelman was in for some plays in place of Welker. Wouldn't that support the possibility that they were trying to save Welker until after Troy's induction?

As for Belichick making a move for PR, who knows? I think that he has tried to get players records before, and we know he has a ton of respect for Brown.

I don't think it's so far fetched.

Or it could just be he's impressed a great deal through camp, he's the closest thing we have to a young, long term WR prospect on the team and he's earned some reps/BB wants to start phasing him in more.

It's MASSIVELY far fetched. Anyone who believes it doesn't understand football and/or is deluded.

They'll never admit it because, quite frankly, it will never happen.

GOING for a record late in a game when it's won is plausible...tying to SAVE someone's record for one more week? Laughable.

EDIT: Just to add...Belichick and PR move are NEVER in the same sentence. He hates the media, he never cares what they think and we all know why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey