PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All about the money for Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

miamipat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Adam Shefter reported last night the on NFL total access that the clear reason Law went to the Chief's was because they offered more guaranteed money (expected). From what I understood the Pats where willing to pay him 7 million upfront for his service, contract was for 3 years and salary for next year was 2 mill but only the 7 mill where guaranteed. The Chiefs offered 4 mill upfront with 1 mill salary for this year, plus he's guaranteed 3 mill next year and 3 mill the following year. Long story short Pats guaranteed him 7mill and the Chiefs 11 mill.

You don't mention what the year 3 Pats salary proposal was; so I am not sure comparing 11 to 7 is a proper comparison. (that is a 3 yr to 1 yr deal comparison) If the Pats only had a $1M salary in year 3 you are talking $11 vs $10; and if he wasn't cut by then; a hold out would get him a renegotiated deal. So Pats deal doesn't sound that bad to me.

I am not sure you can count all that money as "guaranteed". Salary is only guaranteed if you aren't cut by the team. If you are cut it isn't owed at all.

Since if he took the Pats proposal he would have more upfront $$ and potentially more overall $$ if he was cut after a year (7 versus 5) or even 2 (9 versus 8); This gives me the impression Law believes

a. if he plays in NE playing team defense he wont get the stats to keep his rep up for another big payday down the line.

b. he had an understanding with Herm all along.

I think the Pats deal on the face of it actually sounds like a better pay-day; couple that with the better liklihood of Playoff money and marketing $$ in NE and I think Law's agent or Law made the wrong choice here.

I think you misunderstood what Shefter was trying to say. I also believe the 2006 bonus/salary figures are the opposite of what Reiss reported. $1M SB and $4M salary is what PFT said and I believe what Schefter said last night as well.

The Pats offer was $7M for 2006 and $2M (plus apparently $2M in incentives Shefter didn't mention) for 2007. Or 2 years $9-11M with only the first $7M guaranteed.

The Chief's offer was 5 years $30M (sounds better to a pro bowl corner right off the bat) with $5M in bonus and salary in 2006 and $5M in salary in 2007. Or 2 years $8-10M ($8 being guaranteed because making the 2006 roster guarantees $3M total of his 2007-2008 salaries) and a shot, albeit a long shot, at some or all of another $21M or so in 2008-2010.

So really it was just about another $1M being guaranteed over the first two seasons since the Pat's were prepared to give him $2M more up front. They likely could have matched or trumped this phony deal but then would have had to do the lied to me dance again in 2008 if Ty was still remotely productive and not ready to retire. $21M for 3 more years as a safety is a little steep to say the least. KC will be the liars this time out, but their bigger concern was giving Herm a little PR boost (and made to order fall guy if things don't work out) at the reasonable short term cap cost of $4.2M this year and $5.2M next year, or if things sour quickly dead cap hits of $1.9M per in 2007 and 2008. And if 2006 and 2007 go OK but they don't want him back at all thereafter their dead cap will be $2M divided if they choose over 2008-2009. At least that's the way I decipher it.

The Patriots must have had concerns about Ty's ability to play more than 2 more years as a corner or safety, probably centered on that ankle and a deeper long term understanding of his physical condition. He did limp throughout 2003 (albeit effectively) before the traumatic injury even occurred in 2004.

It appears the Patriots deal was just what the sources had indicated from the outset - a desire on the part of the team to have him return for a year or two and retire a Patriot. Ty is also apparently not nearly ready to wrap himself around the retirement scenario. We'll see who had the better read come late 2007.

Good for you, Ty. A few more million on top of the many millions you've already made vs. competing for another championship under a superior coach and the chance to break a team record for career interceptions. The sheer insanity of it all drives me bonkers. The guy has the depth of a thimble.

If he wants to sign with the Chiefs, let him.

He'll be watching the Patriots play in the postseason on his couch.

soswalter said:
If he wants to sign with the Chiefs, let him.

He'll be watching the Patriots play in the postseason on his couch.

Maybe Maybe not but one thing is clear, Ty Law DOES NOT CARE. He has 3 Super Bowl Rings and 4 AFCC rings and at this point doesnt give a hoot about winning. It's all about the money seeing his playing days are soon to be over.

MrTibbs said:
Maybe Maybe not but one thing is clear, Ty Law DOES NOT CARE. He has 3 Super Bowl Rings and 4 AFCC rings and at this point doesnt give a hoot about winning. It's all about the money seeing his playing days are soon to be over.

Now that they have them, winning more rings isn't that important to Law, the Vinitrator, etc. Too much hard work and not enough me.

Tunescribe said:
Good for you, Ty. A few more million on top of the many millions you've already made vs. competing for another championship under a superior coach and the chance to break a team record for career interceptions. The sheer insanity of it all drives me bonkers. The guy has the depth of a thimble.

I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of Pats, or ex-Pats, want to distinguish themselves from the team, usually from an increase in pay or in Givens' case, a chance to "reach his full potential" :rolleyes: I guess certain athletes can only buy into the team concept for so long until success changes their way of thinking. Some players are content with winning 2 or 3 Super Bowls and the financial benefits of playing on another team outweigh the potential of the team.

Then again you have players like Brady and Bruschi who are totally committed to the franchise and are willing to make the financial sacrifices to help pursue a championship year-in and year-out. BTW, these are my favorite Patriot players. I don't think much of those who holdout or criticize the organization while under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes