PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

all 22 film shows Brady is not utilizing all of his weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands of Stone Lafell. Guy can't seem to catch.

LaFell averaged 42 catches a season for the last four years with the Panthers. If you are saying that he can't catch, then is there something about Cam Newton's passes that are just more easily catchable than Tom Brady's?

Both LaFell and Amendola have been solid productive NFL receivers for a number of years. What is it about the New England system and/or QB that makes it impossible for them to be productive here?

LaFell averaged 42 catches a season for the last four years with the Panthers. If you are saying that he can't catch, then is there something about Cam Newton's passes that are just more easily catchable than Tom Brady's?

Both LaFell and Amendola have been solid productive NFL receivers for a number of years. What is it about the New England system and/or QB that makes it impossible for them to be productive here?

I think you should make sure to add Ochicinco to your list of successful in other system receivers when making this veiled Brady sucks argument.

That's Brady this season when you take that terrible 2nd half in Miami.

Unfortunately, that terrible 2nd half passing in Miami cost the Pats a division win. I kinda think we have to count that when evaluating the passing game.

Amendola had 54 catches in 12 games last year. He was a disappointment, mostly due to injury (as so many of us were concerned about), but he caught 54, not 14.

As I posted in the Amendola thread, Jeff Howe went through the Vikings game apparently:

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe · 4h
Amendola only got open once on nine routes. By that time, Brady already hit Edelman for 12 yards.

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe · 4h
Went through Pats-Vikings tape: Amendola was on the field for 9 of 23 pass plays. Didn't count a single time Brady should've targeted him.

Overall, if you look at the games, the Patriots threw the ball just 22 times last week, an extremely low number so you cannot really factor the target totals of each player into it. If you look at week 1 you get – Amendola with 5 targets, which would pace him for 80 targets, and LaFell with 6 targets, which would pace him for 96 targets. Considering we are talking about #3 and #4 WR and #5 and #6 options in the offense, I would see that being a significant amount of targets.

Looking at LaFell has been targeted 6 times this season and has 0 catches, Amendola has been targeted 6 times and has 3 catches for just 16 yards. Do they deserve more footballs thrown their way? I would say no, I would rather they involve Develin in the offense over them 2, at least he has made the most of his limited opportunities this season.

Unfortunately, that terrible 2nd half passing in Miami cost the Pats a division win. I kinda think we have to count that when evaluating the passing game.
We generally split with Miami, it is not uncommon for the Patriots to struggle in the second half of games in Miami, they are a team from the Northeast. We had an unusually cool summer up here in the Boston area this year I was not surprised to see them so impacted by the heat. The second half of that game we lost 23-0, in the other 6 quarters we have played this season the score is 50-17. We have been absolutely dominating our competition 75% of the season. Seattle suffered a similar fate this past Sunday in the heat in San Diego.

I am not concerned about 1 division loss, there is not a team in the division that concerns me enough to lose sleep over 1 loss in the division.

No he didn't.

Unless you agree that it was better to dump the ball to a bracketed Edelman on a short route and pass up Amendola who has inside leverage on a go route with the high safety shading to the open side? :rolleyes:
Edelman is averaging 14.7 yards a catch this season. He is catching 80% of the balls thrown his way. Are you really complaining about Brady targeting him over a player who has caught 50% of his passes for just 5 yards per catch?

Unless you agree that it was better to dump the ball to a bracketed Edelman on a short route and pass up Amendola who has inside leverage on a go route with the high safety shading to the open side? :rolleyes:

Brady had pressure coming right up the gut and there was a safety drifting toward Amednola...recipe for an under thrown ball and an INT. Edelman was in space with one defender...generally I feel good about his chances in that situation. That's all just nitpicking a low percentage third and long anyway...my main point is that it feels like the old "move the chains brady" is forcing it downfield...especially in short yardage. Short passing, especially screens, used to be the bread and butter of this team...and seems to fit our current personnel best.

The article is not particularly strong, but the essential premise behind it is correct. The air attack is running primarily through Edelman and Gronk right now (mostly Edelman because Gronk is still finding his sea legs). That will need to change in the future or it will be rather easy to shut this team's passing attack down.
Brady since the 2007 when Welker arrived has targeted Welker at least 25% of the time, with an average of 27% over Welker’s 6 seasons. Last season Edelman saw 25% of Brady’s targets. This season Edelman is seeing 19.2% of Brady’s passes, which is the lowest percent of their QBs targets of any WR in the NFL who ranks in the top 15 for catches. Edelman has caught 80% of the passes, you are way off if you think there is a problem here The top option in an offense receiving 19.2% of the QBs targets is on the low end of the threshold. Edelman is on pace for 31 less targets this season than last.

This article is half ass; the offense struggled in the second half of the Miami game because of the OL play. Other than that, Brady had a commanding lead at half time, on the road playing in a piece of crap college stadium with garbage turf, so they controlled the clock, he ran the football and threw the ball to the receivers he trusted the most to avoid turnovers that could turn into quick points. I do not see an issue, Brady had a 24-7 lead at halftime, was he supposed to come out and air it out so the Vikings could get a pick 6 or something? I think the context of the game and the understanding of situational football is being overlooked in this article.

Just an idea here but does everybody think Brady is a slave to bill bellichick and everything he says. Don't you think his wife is aware of the problems like he has no established complete we, it takes 6 lineman because half the online is undrafted players and bill is to stubborn to start the guy (fleming) at guard that can fix the oline. Devey Wendy and even Connolly at times need to double team/combo block to handle one DLineman. Brady takes a pay cut to resign Welker and sign a taller speedy athletic we like Sanders. Brady liked Sanders and was excited over the Sanders signing. However Bill has an issue with Welker and pays Amendola $31 million while offering his speedy athletic wr $2.5 million. Then Bill wouldn't give up the round 2 pick for Gordon and used the pick for yet another backup qb. Oline has been neglected for so long due to committee RBs backup qbs and dozens of Dbacks that it takes 6 lineman to block. Brady and his wife are aware of these mistakes and poor drafting that has caused the oline to be neglected and made up of undrafted players. You think Brady or his wife hasn't noticed

Then bill goes out and says he can't wait to prove he can win a championship trophy without Brady. That is a direct insult regardless how you sugercoat it. Its like saying I want to prove he was lucky to have my scheming and it was my coaching not his qb play. He was saying he didn't really need Brady. Most coaches would be happy and feel blessed to have Brady except Bill wants to prove he can win without him. There could be friction in Paradise. I promise Brady took offense and if he didn't his wife did!!

Brady didn't want lafell or Amendola really. Brady however said he likes developing raw talented WRs like Kenbrell and Dobson I know for sure. I know he couldn't have favored to bench Dobson then Kenbrell while Lafell played. Brady would never refuse to throw to a particular wr but he would prefer to go elsewhere with the ball if possible. Brady can spread the ball around but would prefer some WRs. I would guess that Brady wants his young athletic speedy guys in there over Lafail and Amendola to see if they can be complete consistent go to guys. Just an idea Brady could be looking away from lafail and Amendola as a message to say these guys we know can't be good outside WRs, let's give reps to my young fast athletic talented guys I'm working hard to try to help step up as go to guys. Just an idea guys, maybe Brady is showing bill he doesn't agree with starting particular WRs. Brady has never had probe spreading the ball, is he protesting WRs he feels can't do the job

Last edited:
We do NOT generally split with Miami...at least not since 2003..the Pats have 16 wins, the Phins 7 with the remaining game being played here this season. Even if the Fins sweep, this is hardly a "split" the last 11 seasons.

It is funny how much people are going overboard with the offense thing. The first half of the first game, half the media were gush about the embarrassment of receiving options Brady has this year. By the end of the game, people were talking about what is wrong with the offense.

This week, the Pats focused on running the ball and a more game management offense with a sizeable lead most of the second half where Brady only threw 22 times and now people are talking about Brady's demeanor at the press conference (the new Brady's sideline demeanor) and how Brady locked in on his binkies.

People are already ready to bury LaFell, Dobson, and Wright as busts.

The Pats have played two games. One game the offense was great one half awful the other one. The other game, the offense was decent playing more of a game managing offense. The offense obviously needs to get better, but the media is going way overboard with all the problems with it.
This is exactly why I like to periodically reviews the team after weeks 4, 8, 12 and 16 leading into the playoffs. Whilst weekly reactions are fine, prolonged exposure is a better indicator of performance.

We will destroy them next time when we have our guys playing and in correct position. Chandler Jones and Dominique Easley could very well be Simeon Rice Warren Sapp 2.0. Dolphins Poser qb will crumble. I'm impressed how quickly Dom Easley got his size back and more and will fill out a little more by playoffs, should hit his 293-298 target EASiLY. ;). If his movement skills return as well who can block that dude. He is a freak

Edelman is averaging 14.7 yards a catch this season. He is catching 80% of the balls thrown his way. Are you really complaining about Brady targeting him over a player who has caught 50% of his passes for just 5 yards per catch?

I am discussing just one play.

In that one play, if you look at the pre-snap read, the high safety is shaded away from Amendola and the NB is already cheating down to the open side to bracket Edelman. A sixth grader could read that.

I am discussing just one play.

In that one play, if you look at the pre-snap read, the high safety is shaded away from Amendola and the NB is already cheating down to the open side to bracket Edelman. A sixth grader could read that.

That pre-snap read also shows Edelman is wide open, because his defender is playing off him about 8 yards. The post-snap shot shows Amendola covered stride for stride on the outside and a safety in the area, about 2 steps away, on the inside, while Edelman continues to be wide open, with coverage still more than 5 yards off.

A sixth grader would be too smart to throw that ball to Amendola, under the circumstances. I grant you that Jay Cutler and Tony Romo might not be smarter than that sixth grader.

Brady had pressure coming right up the gut and there was a safety drifting toward Amednola...recipe for an under thrown ball and an INT. Edelman was in space with one defender...generally I feel good about his chances in that situation. That's all just nitpicking a low percentage third and long anyway...my main point is that it feels like the old "move the chains brady" is forcing it downfield...especially in short yardage. Short passing, especially screens, used to be the bread and butter of this team...and seems to fit our current personnel best.

If you look at the SS on the closed end of the Vikes faking a cover 2 over Amendola, pre-snap, he is shaded the wrong way, and in the post-snap read, you see him almost to the flat. This ended up being a cover 1, with a single high safety and man to man on the closed side, with Harrison (#22) reverting to HS but still on the open side of the field.

IMO, the SS suddenly rolling up still shaded away, should have been a cue for Brady to hit Amendola up the seam as he clearly had won inside leverage at that point.

So on one hand, you have Edelman sitting on a comeback right at the line of scrimmage, and Amendola already past it, going full tilt and nobody directly on top of him, what would you ideally do?

That pre-snap read also shows Edelman is wide open, because his defender is playing off him about 8 yards. The post-snap shot shows Amendola covered stride for stride on the outside and a safety in the area, about 2 steps away, on the inside, while Edelman continues to be wide open, with coverage still more than 5 yards off.

A sixth grader would be too smart to throw that ball to Amendola, under the circumstances. I grant you that Jay Cutler and Tony Romo might not be smarter than that sixth grader.

Brady's first pre-snap read are the safeties. Which way are they shaded? What is their tell? The one on top of Amendola is shaded away, and it is this same safety that is suddenly in the flat, but still shaded the wrong way. There is no way he can flip his hips in time to catch up with Amendola.

Edelman is wide open, but coming back, which means that by the time he catches the ball, his man is on top of him.

Amendola has won inside leverage on a seam route. That is a homerun.

So on one hand, you have Edelman sitting on a comeback right at the line of scrimmage, and Amendola already past it, going full tilt and nobody directly on top of him, what would you ideally do?

Throw to Edelman because you have better chemistry with him and because you don't want to force defenses down the road to feel like they have to cover the whole field? :)

Brady's first pre-snap read are the safeties. Which way are they shaded? What is their tell? The one on top of Amendola is shaded away, and it is this same safety that is suddenly in the flat, but still shaded the wrong way. There is no way he can flip his hips in time to catch up with Amendola.

Edelman is wide open, but coming back, which means that by the time he catches the ball, his man is on top of him.

Amendola has won inside leverage on a seam route. That is a homerun.

And there's your error. Look again. Brady's already in mid-throw. This is just another demonstration of poor usage of the all-22 on the part of the author.

http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/09/16/all-22-look-says-brady-not-using-all-his-weapons/

surprised no one has brought up this article. and this confirms what I have thought all along. Brady has developed a bad habit of only looking/passing to his "binkies" the past few years rather than just passing to the open guy.

he needs to get over this and start spreading the ball around if he expects the offense to get better. and it starts with HIM IMO...forcing balls to gronk/edelman when they are double covered is not the best option when you may have amendola or dobson wide open

Well, we finally have something we agree about

I've felt this for a long time too - it's difficult to prove but if the tape shows there are open men not being looked to, it's hard to argue the opposite

My contention of this goes back to the prolific 2007 offense where early in the season the ball was spread to numerous WRs including Stallworth

By the end of that season those Fantasy Football fanatics were much happier to see Welker and Moss getting so many catches and TDs - but I felt the offense had grown predictable and that as the competition improved in the playoffs, their predictability would come back to haunt them - and it did

Now how much is McDaniels and how much is Brady - I have to think at this stage in his career Brady makes the calls from the line of scrimmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots