Welcome to PatsFans.com

Alito

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by tatepatsfan, Jan 11, 2006.

1. tatepatsfan

tatepatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

What do you guys think? So far I think he has largely skirted the issues with his responses, yet at the same time, I am not altogether to scared by his answers, except in the area of executive power. I don't believe he will try to overturn Roe, I think he will respect that as legal precedent, although I am unsure of what regulations he will place on abortion. As far as executive power is concerned, I am worried he would support too much power for the president. I believe that the system we have is in place in order to maintain a balance, so that no one branch can have to much power.

Opinions? I know it is still early in the proceedings, so my opinion may change.

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I think he's a madman/fanatic, and Bush in going to have to call in a few favors to get him on the team.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 15 / -14

I agree with dryheat. There's nothing in Alito's record that makes me think he can be fair. He wrote briefs that defended and justified just about any excess on the part of the Reagan administration. He's a smart guy, and knows how to dodge the questions. But, if he gets approved, I think the court will continue to take steps to deny womens rights, civil rights, workers rights, etc., and to accord the President the rights of kings.

4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +111 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

After having been forced to watch this morning all I can say is that Judge Alito has more class, integrity, common sense and more fairness than that blowhard Ted Kennedy has. But of course most criminals have that over Kennedy also.

So Alito is against abortion and affirmative action, I say good for you Judge!

5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'll bet the Bush sheeple will fall in love with this clever dodger.

oops...I see PFEIL already responded.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +111 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

I see the ultra left is all over this also, because he is not a baby butcher, military hater and respects the employment/education rights of all Americans not just based of color/sex.

Still goosestepping along with Howard Dean?

7. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I figured you wouldn't see the civil liberties that he shows little respect for. That would require an impartial perspective.

have some :bricks:

8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +111 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

So I guess male parental rights and the right to be considered equally for a job are not civil liberties? Kill a baby, give a job to an under qualified person based on race/sex, allow unions to strong arm employers/employees is ok, but we better not tap the phone of terrorists?

9. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

why can't you get a FISA warrant?

10. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Wow, Man.......You're out there......

P.S. Ted Kennedy isn't a candidate for the Supreme Court.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +111 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

Why am I out there? Because I think babies and the father of those babies have rights?

Is it because I don't believe in quotas or affirmative action, that discriminate against employees/students?

Is it because I believe people should be able to choose wether or not to be in a union to be employed?

So basically it is ok to deny people parental rights, advocate racist policies and do not believe in the right to work? Interesting, but I am out there? OK.

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You're OK ont the first three lines here (I happen to agree on the first two, and while I'm against unions in most cases, you cant have both a closed and open shop - that's pointless and shows that you're against unions period.)You should also be against wiretapping American citizens without a warrant. Its against the law and you know it.

13. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I should know better than to respond but:

1) Of course they have rights. I just don't believe they supercede the mother's rights. It's a sticky wicket for sure, but trying to govern people's bodies just isn't a good idea. (FWIW, I'm also an advocate for all drug legalization, even though I've never so much as smoked a joint in my life...if people want to inject toxins into their body, what gives the government the right to say it can't? You would think the "Less Government" party would see this, but.....

2) Affirmative Action isn't a quota. As someone who lost two (2) broadcasting jobs because he is a white male, I actually have a legitimate gripe. Unfortunately, many people in this country (ironically in the red states) aren't as open minded as you and I, and Affirmative Action is necessary.

3) I think unions these days do more harm than good. So I won't argue this point.

My comment to you wasn't entirely based on this post. The part of the post, however, that led me to write that is the part you left out of your rebuttal, the part about OK to spy on terrorists.

Here's the fundamental difference between you and me. You believe that the most important idea right now is security at whatever cost. I believe that I must protect my rights as an American citizen at whatever cost.

14. tatepatsfan

tatepatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I intended this thread to discuss Alito's capacity to be a Supreme Court judge, not to hear PFIEL's personal beliefs, or anyone's for that matter.

Kennedy is not up for Supreme Court Justice...he is an elected official, not an appointed one, so the people of America (or more specifically Massachusetts) have their say directly on his job. It is the senate's responsibility to determine if the proposed nominee is fair enough for the job, and Kennedy is asking what he deems to be the appropriate questions.

After reading through what has occurred today, my biggest issues with Alito as a justice are the conservative group he was in from Princeton (I simply haven't heard enough about it), still his position on executive power - we have all of our branches for a reason, and also, his position on Roe. I didn't say his position on abortion, I could care less what he thinks, I am concerned with his position on Roe, as he refuses to call it "settled law" and sticks with "legal precedent", which he added later is open to discussion and possible change over time.

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +870 / 2 / -9

Did any of you hear the Argument between "Uncle Teddy & Specter" over the mailing of a letter.

Kennedy
    "You recieved a letter from me on that"
    Specter
    "I didn't recieve a letter from you"
    Kennedy
    "Yes you did, I mailed it"
    Specter
    "I don't care if you mailed it, I didn't get it"
    Kennedy
    "Yes you did"
    Specter
    "Senator Kennedy, don't you tell me what mail I get"
    Kennedy
    "Blah, blah, splutter, wheeze, gurgle, hack"
    Specter
    "Blah, Blah, arrghh, snuff, hock, waholll"
    CAN YOU IMAGINE THESE TWO WINDBAG CONCEITED DIRT BUCKETS DECIDING WHO SHOULD BE A SUPREME COURT JUSTICE FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, CAN YOU IMAGINE A MAN WITH THE CLASS AND DIGNITY OF JUDGE ALITO HAVING TO SIT AND LISTEN TO THIS SH IT FROM THESE TWO POLITICAL MORONS.

I WONDER IF WHEN FORCED TO SIT AND LISTEN TO THE BELLOWING RANTING GARBAGE THAT UNCLE TEDDY SPEWS OUT IF JUDGE ALITO LOOKS AT HIM AND THINKS, THIS BAS TARD CHEATED IN COLLEGE, HE GOES DRINKING WITH HIS NEPHEW AND THE NEPHEW RAPES SOMBODY THE SAME NIGHT HE GOT KICKED OUT OF HARVARD HE GOT DRUNK AND DROVE OFF A BRIDGE AND KILLED A WOMEN, THEN SWAM HOME AND WENT TO SLEEP AND I HAVE TO SIT HERE AND TAKE THIS SH IT FROM THIS BLUUBER BELLIED DRUNKEN OLD SOT.

Jesus Christ, here have some bricks :bricks:

16. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ALITO BAD!

BUSH BAD!!

Lets face it, before Bush ever got a name out of his mouth for the nomination, the left was already shouting "WE DONT LIKE IT"!!

17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +870 / 2 / -9

Imagine if someone started looking into "Uncle Teddy's Past".

18. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Yeah, because nobody's done that so far. And until he is nominated for the Supreme Court (which would admittedly be funny), it's irrelevant.

19. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Given Bushs track record of appointments, its a safe assumption...

"Brownie, yer doin a heckuva job!"

[​IMG]

"He's the most brilliant man I ever met."

20. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +111 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

I see Larry Flynt is all of a sudden credible because he said something negative about Bush? The ultra left wing is insane.

So I will take your guys tact and tell you Laura Bush is not running for office, so BFD. I also like how you add being drunk to the story and he was in a car, but that is you liar to the bone.

Now back to Alito, after having to waste time on NEM's newest lie, I read a NYT article this morning that says CAP was not what Kennedy was saying it was, WHAT A SHOCK, that all of this was an op-ed letter that appeared in 1 issue of their magazine. Sure seems like the Bob Jones University ploy. Lets throw crap at someone and see what sticks. Nothing wrong with judging admissions based on credentials, not race/sex. But, what else is new to find out Kennedy and Schummer hate ROTC at college campuses.