Welcome to PatsFans.com

Alito confirmed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by JLC, Jan 31, 2006.

1. JLC

JLC Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

52-48.

President wins election.
    President nominates judge.
    Judge is confirmed.

This is how it works.

Thing is, no one really knows what will happen until it happens, and supreme court justices tend to have minds of their own.
    Let the games begin!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  2. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup---those jerkoff democrap senators could not find 1 iota of indescretion on Alito's part--Yet that doofas Kerry wanted to fillibuster the nomination? Why? Because Alito is a conservative? That is called an abuse of power--shame on you Mr Kerry!

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Oh, we may yet see "abuse of power". Just wait til Alito starts weilding his judicial opinion pen.

4. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh yeah...I'm sure radical leftwing basket case Ginsburg is just gonna sit there drawing flies while Alito plays cowboy from the bench.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Ann Richards
    Al Gore
    Kerry
    Soros
    Hollywood
    Dan Rather
    Terry MaCauliff
    Tommy Daschle

Now Uncle Teddy & Frankenstien Fonda Kerry, they all got slapped around then mopped up by the little bow legged guy they call "a stupid dummy chimp"

He's doing pretty good for a dummy.

George W Bush, President Of The United States Of America.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

It's a great victory for big business. Since the Reagan revolution, workers have not made any gains -- no talk of 35 hour work week, retirement is a mess, safety issues are increasing, health care is nonexistent for millions, and far fewer people have the option of having a parent to stay at home even with young kids. It's a great victory for those who want a say in how women treat their bodies and whether poor people are given equal opportunity. It's a great victory for white collar criminals and for companies that pollute. It's a great victory for those who favor a President who can create law as he goes along. Fortunately, though, with this court, when a Democrat gets elected president s/he'll be able to make up laws and quickly undo the harm that the Republicans have done. The pendulum is still swinging to the right, but so far women's rights, gay rights, civil rights, environmental protection, social security, the Superfund, OSAH, legal aid, and other liberal initiatives are still in place. The righties have a long way to go, and I think they're awfully close to pushing Americans as far to the right as they are willing to go.

7. JLC

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

35 hour work week. Yeah, that'll help make us competitive in the world market. I just don't have the words... yes I do. BUSINESS ISN'T IN AND OF ITSELF BAD!

Retirement is a mess - I believe the clowns who blow off pension funds, etc. need to have their day in court. Behind the defendants table.

healthcare - The CEO of Starbucks made the comment a few weeks (or so) ago that the number one expense of his company wasn't coffee.(!) It's healthcare. Do you really believe this is a good thing?

pollution - it's getting better. Reader's Digest recently had an article (sorry, no link) describing how the landscape has changed, and how big business (!) has become a partner in making the air and water better for us and future generations.

"When a democratic president gets elected." :rolleyes: Can anyone please tell me who is in charge of the democratic party? I didn't think so.

Whether you like it or not, unless the republicans fall on their faces (and even if they do), the pendulum is still moving to the right.

8. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Civil rights and womens rights are solely the product of liberals? -- maybe if your refering to a womans right to commit beastiality, or a womans right to murder her children because she was depressed. Or how about civil rights? Civil Rights for non-citizens who come here to leach off the welfare system, and not have to pay into Social security or pay any taxed other than sales tax on their beer. Or how about supporting the ACLU as they give a voice to NAMBLA? Is that the country you want to leave your children?

9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And what about all those people who WERE planning for their retirement, had money in a pention plan, only to have their company pull the rug out from under them because "it's getting too expensive"? I'm young, I have the benefir of using a 401K plan. But for those of from the pention generation: promises were made, and promises are being broken.
    The problem there seems to be healthcare (drug) companies profiteering. Maybe if we shortened how long patents were good for we could introduce some competition and reduce costs. But what's your solution to the healthcare problem? "If you can't afford it, you don't get it?"
    This is a joke. Polution is a large, complex issue that lots of people can't agree with, yet to you the issue is closed with a single report in... READER'S DIGEST??

10. JLC

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

- I notice you didn't address the 35 hour work week.
    - Unless I'm reading your response incorrectly, I believe we violently agree on the slugs who are responsible for losing retiree's pensions.
    - These are my comments, so I'd appreciate it if you allow me to define my intent. This wasn't a suggestion for fixing high health care costs. The fact that they are a company's #1 operating expense - more than their product costs - is what I pointed out. I will say this: in the countries where medicine is controlled by the government, it doesn't matter whether you can afford it or not - you still don't get it. At least not for months or years in some cases. And the rich come here for treatment. What's the difference? Let's hear a solution different than government control - that could be interesting.
    - I mentioned this one article because I just read it, and it's one of several in the last 6 months to a year I've read which are substantially the same: business seems to be finally getting it on the environment. I'm certain this isn't 100% true for all companies, but the improvements are tangible and they are real.

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's because I don't feel strongly about it - I could go either way. On one hand, almost every employee spends at least 5 work hours a week slacking off and not making money for the company. Might as well let them spend that time at the bar. On the other hand, then us workers may work 35 hours and still spend 5 slacking. I don't buy your argument about the 40 hour week not keeping us globaly competitive (many countries in the world have 35 hours workweeks), but in general, I think the government should butt out and let business staff how they need to staff.
    We seem to be in absolute agreement.
    I happen to think that too much government control is where the problem lies. Specifically in long patents given to drug companies as "motivation to innovate", which makes their products immune to market competition. I say give patents for 2 years, then cut it loose and let other companies come out with generics. If we're not willing to do that, we need to outright limit drug prices, though that sounds draconian and leaves a bad taste in my libertarian mouth. Universal healthcare will NOT solve the problem, all it will do is make drug companis realize that now somebody (the taxpayer) HAS to pay their bill and they can charge what they want
    See, though, for every article you've read that says it's getting better, I've read one that says it's getting worse. I simply can't accept any of the assumptions your point is based on. I think what we have is companies paying more lip service to the environment while doing their own thing and continuing to pollute. Where are the tangible improvements you mention? Are they real (supported by science) or in the minds of executives and politicians?

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Yes, conservatives of both parties fought it viciously. The famous filibusters of the 1950s were over civil rights, the Equal Rights Amendment for women was defeated by conservatives, conservative judges regularly used to not punish rapists whose victims dressed in a sexy manner, there's plenty of documented evidence that conservative judges used to hand out different sentences to black people than white people. Read some history, ELOrocks. You should direct your fascination with bestiality and NAMBLA to a more appropriate forum, but if you want to talk freedom of speech, that's another matter, but first try to figure out what it means.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Business is great. I'm all for business. In Europe, people get 5 or 6 weeks vacation, plus more holidays than we do. In many parts of Europe, the 35 hour work week is common place, and you know what? By most measures, the Europeans have as high standard of living as we do.

I agree with you there, but retirement is also a mess because of the defeat of unions and collapse of the pension system. The 401K solution is failing miserably, and a lot of people are going to be screwed or be working until they die.

A national health care system, supplemented with private health care is what we need.

I haven't read anything like that. In fact, I've read it's big business that has been funding all the studies saying global warming doesn't exist. But, I'll admit not as well read as I should be on the subject. I do believe there are a number of enlightened businesses (like Starbucks).

I agree with you again. (Damn!) If the Democrats regain power it will be thanks to the Republicans, not to the Democrats, at least not at this point.

I agree with you, but there's at least some evidence that it's starting to slow (namely polls rating the president and the congress).

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The ACLU will give a voice for NAMBLA if NAMBLA is deserving of a voice. Unfortunately, the people that make NAMBLA deserving of a voice are ones who try to persecute them for thoughts instead of actions. What I would tell my children is: "NAMBLA is wrong, but the government is wrong too for trying to punish them for words instead of actions." I know my children would be smart enough to understand the complexity. I think yours would, too, if you gave them the chance.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Here, here, Pujo. Not only that, as I think the ACLU understands, is that when there's feedom of speech, the people with horrible views are in the open and are easier to keep an eye on. When speech is suppressed, people carry on in secret, and that creates a climate for all sorts of abuse.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

The little Dummy Chimp won another one (Alito), more to come.

Hysteria is turning the democrats into a bunch of babbling lunatics.

17. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow, he pushed a candidate through a Senate where his own party has the majority. "Mission Accomplished!"

18. JLC

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Easy, big guy... take a deep breath... step away from the keyboard... :D

19. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

35 hour workweek? I put in 35 hours in just about 3 days.

You are one lazy sonofa***** Patters.