PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alge Crumpler is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody was talking about Alge being overweight and not really doing much the past couple of seasons. I thinks its quite clear that this move ignited a fire in the man, he looks in great shape right now, his blocking is just top notch and BB can't seem to praise him enough.

Anybody saying bad things about the guy really is not up to speed with current events and clearly has not watched any preseason games.

Crumpler was a top notch tight end for the Falcons for a couple of seasons. For whatever reason he beefed up when he moved to Tennessee and did not catch nearly as many balls. Its clear though that this move has worked out well for him and for the Patriots going by what our head coach is saying.

You seem to be missing the point I was trying to make. Do I think he is serviceable? Yes. Am I the one making the decisions? No. Belichick is the one making the decisions, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him cut Crumpler. I have heard Bill praise players six ways to sunday and end up cutting them. I used Pollard as an example, and Greg Lewis and Joey Galloway last year would be two more examples. I have no agenda against Crumpler, personally, I hope he ends up in the HOF, but I question BB publicly lavishing him with praises, seems uncharacteristic to me.

BB has never ever called anybody awesome but if you even cared enough to watch the press conference you would see its very genuine praise, you can see BBs face light up when he talks about him. He is being very sincere in what he is saying.

This is a case of you trying to see things that aren't there and its not surprising that people are going to call you on that because it really is unfounded nonsense.

Anybody that thinks that Crumpler is anywhere near the bubble at this point should probably put their heads in a toilet and give up.

BB has never ever called anybody awesome but if you even cared enough to watch the press conference you would see its very genuine praise, you can see BBs face light up when he talks about him. He is being very sincere in what he is saying.

This is a case of you trying to see things that aren't there and its not surprising that people are going to call you on that because it really is unfounded nonsense.

Sign the beast!! :eat1:

You gotta be kidding me. Tell me youre not serious...please.

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Crumpler isn't going anywhere but on the active game day 45.

FYI, this isn't very complicated: if you say dumb things, people will point out why you're wrong. Doubling down by randomly lashing out at people doesn't help.

They might point out that you are wrong even if you manage to avoid saying anything dumb.

Last edited:
Not as dumb as the one you just made. Theres no doubt Crumpler has been on the roster bubble. What, you think hes the next Tony Gonzalez?

Next? no. He's at the tail end of his career.

Apparently you are new to the sport. When naming the best tight ends of the past decade, Alge Crumpler is mentioned in the same group as Tony Gonzalez.

That's why he went to four Pro bowls.

LOL Yeah, I'm stupid. I have no idea who you are nor do I care, but I can tell you're a very ignorant man just by this sentence. I dared to speculate Bill's opinion of a third string tight end, and instead of logical reasoning, I get flooded by morons calling me names. Alge is the definition of a journeyman, theres nothing "awesome" about him. Is he serviceable until the rookies grow? Certainly. But, I'm not going crazy about a player because of a performance in a preseason finale.

Well you've hung around for a year constipated and now you decide to take a dump

... flush twice dude. :rofl:

The biggest factor in the resurrecting career of Alge Crumpler has been the weight reduction and therefore noticably agile once again.

Looking at Alge as a Titan and seeing him now shows a man totally different physically,I see a stronger,faster and more confident Alge which he has been missing since catching passes from Vick and Schaub.

This "journeyman" did manage to kill us if I remember correctly. Back in Atlanta's Vick days. We were playin them late in the season and Vick was injured so we got Schaub. And Schaub/Crump (seriously, could the combo get any better, you hear Gronk/Crump and you know it isn't soccer being talked about) killed us if memory serves me right. Believe I was at a lax tournament and only caught bits and pieces between getting spanked, but I deffinately remember thinking Atlanta should dump Vick and give this Matt guy a shot.

Alge is the definition of a journeyman, theres nothing "awesome" about him.

Actually, you need a new dictionary. He has never been a journeyman, he is consistently rated top five or top ten by any ranking of TEs of the decade. That would be the opposite of a journeyman.

That's like saying Corey Dillon was a journeyman running back because we got him late in his career. The Dillon we had was more a power runner, as Crumpler has concentrated more on his excellent blocking, though he can still make the tough catches as evidenced by his recent sideline grab.

So, get a new dictionary and read up on football a bit and settle in. Anyone could be cut, but that doesn't make multiple all pros who are complete tight ends, journeymen.

Alge Crumpler a journeyman?! Them's some powerful narcotics you're on there son. I'd see a doctor.

He's been a terrific TE, and hopefully will be throughout the remainder of his career with us.

OK......................... After 4 pages of posts it's pretty much unanimous that Alge Crumpler is not only extremely unlikely to be cut, but that he is in fact our starting TE due to his tenacious blocking, veteran savvy and still soft hands to catch passes then punish would-be tacklers.......

Lot of really excellent posts here about the "crumpler-Nator"

My intent was not to ridicule anyone, but rather to sing this beasts praises.

Last edited:
I listen to almost every BB press conference and have done pretty much since he became the head coach here.
Why? just pick a random one and change a few words around and the team they played last. It all comes out the same. Lots of words saying very very little.

Grrrrr! Grrrrr! I want to fight someone!

Come on people! Alge Crumpler is the best defensive end on this team.

:cool:

Probably just talking him up...Would not be surprised to see him get the axe. I remember BB singing Marcus Pollard's praises in the 08 preseason.
After reading a plethora of unintended or ill thought out remarks in this thread, I feel grubby enough to dig into the issue you attempted to raise.

I don't think we've crossed swords and I'm afraid the ravages of a well-spent youth occasionally slow my memory so I can't recall anything you've written, in other words, no axe to grind. It's fair to forget Crumpler's past in this exercise, it's a 'what have you done for me lately?' world in the NFL, so stats good or bad aren't really critical factors. Which leaves, how he is being used, how often he is being used, our own valuation of that use, and an effort to understand how the coaches value that usage.

Per Mike Reiss link NE used a multiple TE formation 15/39 snaps against the Rams. Hernandez was out, which left Crumpler and Gronkowski to take those snaps as we didn't see the other two kids at all that I recall.

Crumpler would have been in on a minimum of 38% of the plays. As the more experienced player, Crumpler was more likely to be in on the one TE formations, but we'll split them evenly between the two for the sake of simplicity. This puts Crumpler on the field for a likely 27/39 snaps; which is competitive, if a bit lower, with how Ben Watson was used last season when there really was no other TE option NE liked (note Baker's early departure after the season).

This analysis tells me Crumpler is being used a lot, and he's getting the assignments because the coaches like what he does. Oddly enough, that matches up with what BB said about Crumpler in his presser.

Part of the fun of this forum is the different ways people have of collecting information and looking at the information when it's lumped together with other's efforts. For example, stats freaks love their numbers. Myself, I'm an old field trainer for entry level, advanced personnel, and instructors. I like to look at how people do things and try to understand why they do them that way. Sometimes when there's no manual you will find there is more then one way to get the job done, and I learned lots of new tricks from students, some were even good ones.

In assessing Crumpler's value to the Pats, I look at how Billy O'Brien and Co. are using him, how often they use him, and how consistently they use him from game to game. What I see is a player they use in a variety of ways, he's consistently running with the ones, but in the first game he also ran a lot with the twos as Gronkowski and Hernandez were adjusting to game conditions. I assume that information means he's more than just a cog in the machine, he's also an example and pace setter for the other players at his position.

Added all together, it tells me, with the way I look at things, that he's prized for his leadership and his performance, which at final cutdown time will usually make him a keeper. Others undoubtedly used a different formula to reach a similar conclusion, sadly, differing conclusions from the data usually gets people feeling defensive instead of curious, so we all just beat each other about the head and shoulders, which explains why we have wars, hockey games, and fan forums. ;)

Box, have I ever told you I have a crush on you?

Box, have I ever told you I have a crush on you?

While I don't match the ~ uh ~ intensity of your declaration, I must concur that Brother Box is very cool indeed, wot, wot!! :D

After reading a plethora of unintended or ill thought out remarks in this thread, I feel grubby enough to dig into the issue you attempted to raise.

Crazy Brit, now I know how the Beatles felt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back