PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennard is a solid Corner... he's not a shut down type of CB though

Who is a shutdown type of CB? McCourty? As in potential? I'd be happy if we could just get a guy that can play at consistent level without me holding my breath every time a ball is thrown his way.

Last edited:
Who is a shutdown type of CB? McCourty? I'd be happy if we could just get a guy that can play at consistent level without me holding my breath every time a ball is thrown his way.

Shutdown CB is thrown around horrendously often. You could make the case for a couple of players around the league at one time...but no more than that.

Shutdown corners are few and far between.

This is very well and good but some day soon opposing teams will try to isolate Dennard against a tall WR. That could get ugly unless Dennard has superb leaping skills. Even then it will be a tough matchup

Patriots' Dennard doesn't disappoint in NFL debut

"I feel like I have to do a lot more work," said Dennard. "Technique-wise, I was kind of sloppy. I've got to watch the film first.

"I feel like I haven't done anything to be all hyped about," he added. "You know, because I haven't gone on the field and did anything. So, tonight I feel like I did an alright job. I've got to watch film and see what my correction is."

"It looked like [Dennard] was in on a few plays," said Patriots coach Bill Belichick after the win. "We’ll take a closer look at it on film. I think there are a couple other things that weren’t so hot, but he did show up and make a couple plays, so that was good . . . We had a lot of guys contribute, but it was good to see Alfonzo out here. Good to see."

This is very well and good but some day soon opposing teams will try to isolate Dennard against a tall WR. That could get ugly unless Dennard has superb leaping skills. Even then it will be a tough matchup

Fred Denvers outside receivers are both 6'3". At least we finally have a corner who is contesting a pass! Mccourty and Arrington occasionally contest the ball. Sterling Moore makes recovery plays on occasion, but never appears anywhere near the receivers he's covering. I'm not saying Moore should be cut, but lets try either Dennard or Ras I or both and see what we have while its still early in the season.

hi-res-hi-res-153634870_display_image.jpg

Chung : " What the f...? How did you do that? "

A great picture highlighting that double coverage with Chung is really just single coverage with a moron following the cornerback. Mccourty, Moore, and Dennard have all been affected by this on deep balls.

As if that is not an issue for any of our current starters.

[/IMG]

hi-res-hi-res-153634870_display_image.jpg

Chung : " What the f...? How did you do that? "

I swear there is something wrong with Chung, either his vision is poor, or his sense of direction is all screwed up. How can a safety consistently have his back to plays? I have not seen this before.

People need to stop talking about the guy like he's a seventh round pick. He had second round talent written all over him and was projected as high during the process. At worst, he'd have been a third round pick.

He dropped because of an arrest one week before the draft assaulting an off duty police officer who had grabbed him from behind during a confrontation with another man without even announcing himself. What would you have done? Police, being police, took it way too far.

He's a second round calibre player and therefore should be contributing on a regular basis which, after getting hurt and being held back, he should do from here on out.

Stop acting so surprised.

I think because he was a 7th round pick, he flew under the radar with a lot of people, even Patriots fans up until yesterday. Those who have heard of Dennard already knew he it wasn't for a lack of talent that he fell that far in the draft.

Dennard has what it takes to be a shutdown.......he has the strength to step up to the line and hold up the WR at the LOS. he then has excellent acceleration to turn and run. I am worried about what happens after 15-20 yards when he plays up on the line as he doesn't exactly have elite top end speed although neither did law

Dennard made some nice plays yesterday but let's calm down.

It's also a different thing to cover an aging Brandon Stokley than Demaryius Thomas. He did a nice job on those throws to Decker but there's also not much tape on him at this point. If he's going to be a contributor, teams will approach him differently as well.

But he's definitely shown some promise, and he's not your average 7th-rounder from a skills point of view.

Last edited:
I agree, Fred. It's a welcome change of pace to have a physical corner in there who will not back down. He may be a bit undersized, but his junior year he was considered first round material, better than his Nebraska fellow corner who was taken by the Giants, Prince Abracadabra-something.

I like Dennard. It's like having Ty Law back. I'm tired of these passive CB's we've had.

And Dennard missed most of training camp and this year. He looked very poised out there.

LOL 1 decent game and you're already comparing him to Ty Law? Let's get realistic people. Ty Law is not an easy person to replace. Dennard looks promising but he's done nothing to earn the Law comparisons yet.

During the game he always seemed to be there to defend. Always on his receiver. I think this is a rare find who may just become a valuable member of a starting rotation.

I think because he was a 7th round pick, he flew under the radar with a lot of people, even Patriots fans up until yesterday. Those who have heard of Dennard already knew he it wasn't for a lack of talent that he fell that far in the draft.

Without a doubt. Let's not forget that he was slated to get drafted in the 2nd, possibly even the 1st round, but for an off-field issue. I was fortunate enough to be at a game at the Big House where UMich hosted Nebraska last year, and Dennard stood out in that game to me. He was smart, fast, and had awareness against a very good Wolverines team. I thought we stole him in the 7th, and I think he's going to prove himself to be worthy of a much earlier pick.

Without a doubt. Let's not forget that he was slated to get drafted in the 2nd, possibly even the 1st round, but for an off-field issue. I was fortunate enough to be at a game at the Big House where UMich hosted Nebraska last year, and Dennard stood out in that game to me. He was smart, fast, and had awareness against a very good Wolverines team. I thought we stole him in the 7th, and I think he's going to prove himself to be worthy of a much earlier pick.

Chandler Jones
Donte Hightower
Tavon Wilson
Alfonzo Dennard

The Pats also got promising players in Jake Bequette and Nate Ebner (who could really be a player with experience based on the instincts he has displayed)

Just one miss in Jeremy Ebert; not a bad draft crop at all.

:rocker:

Chandler Jones
Donte Hightower
Tavon Wilson
Alfonzo Dennard

The Pats also got promising players in Jake Bequette and Nate Ebner (who could really be a player with experience based on the instincts he has displayed)

Just one miss in Jeremy Ebert; not a bad draft crop at all.

:rocker:

Hightower was definitely my college binky this past year and didn't dare dream that BB might pick such a high-profile player. What.A.Beast!!!

How you doing, Gr8? Missing u over in game chat!

I was impressed with his debut. I noticed he was wearing Rodney's old number, let's hope he plays like Rodney with some fire and tenacity. We need someone in the secondary that will hit hard, cover, and rub dirt in a WR's face for going across the middle. Let's hope that he can be this guy. For the moment though, I liked what he brought to the table. Exciting group of rookies on defense we have on this team.

Dennard made some nice plays yesterday but let's calm down.

It's also a different thing to cover an aging Brandon Stokley than Demaryius Thomas. He did a nice job on those throws to Decker but there's also not much tape on him at this point. If he's going to be a contributor, teams will approach him differently as well.

But he's definitely shown some promise, and he's not your average 7th-rounder from a skills point of view.

He was on Decker. Agree about jumping overboard. Just don't make something up to make your point though. My head scratcher was a couple of plays where Dowling came in to play the dime. He lined up at ILB. No idea what to do. Who can blame him? Not what he's ever done. Bedard has questioned our scheme in the secondary. I'm starting to do the same.

I feel pretty good about what Dennard can bring to the table, even after just limited playing time. I've lost a lot of faith in McCourty recently but Dennard is a breath of fresh air.

I, too, thought a lot of Dennard. He will be a good one and just might be the beginning of the end of road for a CB that I think very little of and is a weak link. No names mentioned. :D

As far as McCourty goes, I like him. I even have a 32 jersey. He maintains very good, and very close coverage the vast majority of the time. The one thing he needs to correct, as we all have seen, is to take a quick look back for the ball when he is in close coverage near the end of the play. This should eliminate some pass interference calls.

That, of course, is the responsibility of the Defensive Backs coach to work with him on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes