PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in the pre-season that Dennard looked like a Ty Law clone! It could be wishful thinking, but I would take my chances with him over Moore on the outside. I think if we shuffle the secondary we could have a really good mix. More snaps for RAs I, Dennard and Wilson. Less snaps for Moore , Gregory, and Chung. Think Wilson & Mccourty could be a nice nickel & dime safety combo. I think Mccourty is talented, but better suited for FS. Utilize Wilson as a cover SS.

I really liked what little we got to see. We have had way too many DB's since the Golden D Years that do not turn around and way too often run through the WR and get the penalty. McCourty pisses me off with this. I was actually shocked by how stocky Dennard is - I just did not remember that about him. The way this secondary is playing, he should get PLENTY more opportunities - I hope he keeps improving - he is needed.

Dennard already does what McCourty hasn't learned, turn you head..

:)

What a draft class. This is was a Championship Draft sort of like the Giants draft in 1986 that took them to the Super Bowl

Dennard already does what McCourty hasn't learned, turn you head..

:)
McCourty turned his head and tracked the ball in his rookie season. Give it time, the Patriots will try and coach it out of Dennard. ;)

McCourty turned his head and tracked the ball in his rookie season. Give it time, the Patriots will try and coach it out of Dennard. ;)

To me, he looks more like a safety, ball in front of him.. Any time the opponent does a double move, he's out of position. His hips aren't fluid.. I was at the game and while he tackles well, He looks lost when the ball is in the air.. It's been almost 24 games (including playoffs), its time to really question if he'll ever get better.. Or is he what he is..

Exciting prospect. First round talent with character issues. He can play

If you're going by pre-draft rankings, he was more of a 2nd round prospect.

Still a great value for where we got him though.

If you're going by pre-draft rankings, he was more of a 2nd round prospect.

Still a great value for where we got him though.

Yup, projected second to third before he had a bad night. Either way looked good today...

uspw_6641980-242x300.jpg

hi-res-hi-res-153634870_display_image.jpg

Chung : " What the f...? How did you do that? "

AS soon as he turned to look at the ball and made a play I knew a thread like this was going to be posted..lol. You guys are too predicatble but first glance is indeed promising.

AS soon as he turned to look at the ball and made a play I knew a thread like this was going to be posted..lol. You guys are too predicatble but first glance is indeed promising.

Why not? At least it is a positive thread. Could've had one made for Moore. Chung,Dowling and McCourty threads already exist.

Last edited:
People need to stop talking about the guy like he's a seventh round pick. He had second round talent written all over him and was projected as high during the process. At worst, he'd have been a third round pick.

He dropped because of an arrest one week before the draft assaulting an off duty police officer who had grabbed him from behind during a confrontation with another man without even announcing himself. What would you have done? Police, being police, took it way too far.

He's a second round calibre player and therefore should be contributing on a regular basis which, after getting hurt and being held back, he should do from here on out.

Stop acting so surprised.

Dennard was involved with two big passes defended. I agree that it was a breath of fresh air to see quality play in the secondary.

As soon as the NFL did away with that ridiculous "faceguarding" penalty, our young corners started to be in WRs faces without ever looking back for the ball. Is that instructed by the coaching staff?

As soon as the NFL did away with that ridiculous "faceguarding" penalty, our young corners started to be in WRs faces without ever looking back for the ball. Is that instructed by the coaching staff?

It's a league wide problem. Like tackling. Tackling and ball skills on defence seems to be the biggest issue for most teams yet they're arguably the two most basic and easiest skills.

Is it coaching? Could well be. Face guarding is still illegal in the NCAA so it isn't like they aren't taught to turn their head...it's preached. I do think players who could get away with arm tackles in the smaller NCAA mistakenly think they can do it in the much bigger and harder hitting NFL.

I often wonder what players are being taught. I think they're just mental errors.

Last edited:
It's a league wide problem. Like tackling. Tackling and ball skills on defence seems to be the biggest issue for most teams yet they're arguably the two most basic and easiest skills.

Is it coaching? Could well be. Face guarding is still illegal in the NCAA so it isn't like they aren't taught to turn their head...it's preached. I do think players who could get away with arm tackles in the smaller NCAA mistakenly think they can do it in the much bigger and harder hitting NFL.

I often wonder what players are being taught. I think they're just mental errors.

Seeing as so many PI calls are made based on whether or not the defender was "playing" or "looking for" the ball - it'd be simply amazing to me if players were being coached in such a way as to make them both more vulnerable to drawing a flag and less able to prevent catches.

Also - Ty Law is too rich to coach.

Dennard is a solid Corner... he's not a shut down type of CB though

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes