PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alexander at MLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Alexander got a lot of reps in the second half of the Titans game next to Bruschi with Vrabel and Colvin outside. Was this just an experiment or do you expect to see this lineup against the Jets, especially in nickel packages? and does this indicate anything about TBC's play?

Last edited:
It was the 2nd half of a week 17 game so it might have just been game preparation in case a starter goes down.

I also wouldn't take it as any indictment of TBC. You have to compare Alexander inside and Vrabel outside to Vrabel inside and TBC outside. If Vrabel's better outside than inside it is more than just Alexander vs. TBC.

Actually quite a few 2nd+ stringers took a lot of reps in the Titans game. If you have the ability to get guys in and play, do it. You cannot find out what they have unless the get in the game. I don't think it is anything more than that because I didn't see Vrabel line up on the outside. That would help your theory, bit I don't think it happened.

Alexander mentioned during preseason that he was being asked to fill the old Roman-Phifer-coverage-backer role instead of just being a special teams ace.

Actually quite a few 2nd+ stringers took a lot of reps in the Titans game. If you have the ability to get guys in and play, do it. You cannot find out what they have unless the get in the game. I don't think it is anything more than that because I didn't see Vrabel line up on the outside. That would help your theory, bit I don't think it happened.
Vrabes got some OLB reps - part of an effort to keep him tuned up in case Rosey or TBC go down. What you saw is BB's 5th LB for the Playoffs, Alexander, getting as much game time as could be managed.

Vrabes got some OLB reps - part of an effort to keep him tuned up in case Rosey or TBC go down. What you saw is BB's 5th LB for the Playoffs, Alexander, getting as much game time as could be managed.

Preparing for any and every contingency, it is the Patriot way..

Preparing for any and every contingency, it is the Patriot way..
We also forget, next to Izzo, he is the most experienced reserve LB left on the roster...:cool:

From what I've seen of him, I really think that Alexander has alot of potential to fill those old Phifer shoes.

From what I've seen of him, I really think that Alexander has alot of potential to fill those old Phifer shoes.

There have not been a lot of negatives. That is always goo for a rookie.

Are you basing this on PS? I almost always come away impressed in PS with Alexander, but I haven't seen him stand out the times that I have noticed him on the field in the regular season.

(Of course, I am sure that I did not catch all of his snaps considering I have only seen about 50% of the games so far.)

Given that we have to play every week of the playoffs, (lord willing), trying to keep our "older" linebackers fresh, may be part of the overall plan.

Let's face it, Alexander, Mays and Woods might need to step in, ready or not.

Davis is gone, maybe for good.

Given that we have to play every week of the playoffs, (lord willing), trying to keep our "older" linebackers fresh, may be part of the overall plan.

Considering it was TBC that sat the most, I'm not so sure about that.

Are you basing this on PS? I almost always come away impressed in PS with Alexander, but I haven't seen him stand out the times that I have noticed him on the field in the regular season.

(Of course, I am sure that I did not catch all of his snaps considering I have only seen about 50% of the games so far.)

No, just what I remember of him from pre-season, and then the Titans game. Limited sample, but I've liked what I've seen. That goes for Mays and Woods as well.

While watching the game, atleast I thought in my own mind, that the move was made so that vrabes and rosey could cut off any outside lanes to prevent vince young from taking off. IMO, we can all admit that TBC is still a little green, and I dont think he could play ILB too well. So, we move vrabes outside to cut it off and moved our nickle LB in to help against the passing game.
One thing is for sure though. If we play as soft up the middle as we did against Tenn. then we're not going anywhere in the playoffs. We need Wilfork back in the worst possible way.

I agree...he has been around awhile learning so?? And Mays is next in line..I LOVE it when u see many options..

Alexander was one of the guys that missed Vicne young when he had his rushing TD. Practically everyone on the team missed him, too, so you can't really blame only Alexander.

Maybe getting some experience due to Vrabel being "Questionable" onthe IR with a "back" injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes