PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alex Smith adapting to the Patriot Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, he will protect TB with his block skill.

Last edited:
Deus, nothing in those news articles suggests that Graham's agent was actually in any serious negotiations with the Patriots, or doing anything more than trying to set the groundwork for the desired Denver contract. Of course he would "have talks" before FA with the one and only team he was allow to talk to. Maybe they made him an offer, maybe not. But if they did, he simply took it and and ran straight to Denver, as everybody said he would from the start.

Actions speak louder than words. The official announcement of Graham's scheduled FA visit to Denver was already in the press 17 minutes into the free agency period. Not that anybody ever tampers in this league:

Graham's plan - Reiss' Pieces

Wasn't this a salary cap issue more than an absolute dollar issue? Did Kraft save money that season by not paying Graham, or did they spend to the cap?

Spending to the cap is not identical with spending money, but I get your point and I can't remember how close they were at the time. Had they wanted to, restructuring would doubtless have been an option, though.

Deus, nothing in those news articles suggests that Graham's agent was actually in any serious negotiations with the Patriots, or doing anything more than trying to set the groundwork for the desired Denver contract. Of course he would "have talks" before FA with the one and only team he was allow to talk to. Maybe they made him an offer, maybe not. But if they did, he simply took it and and ran straight to Denver, as everybody said he would from the start.

Actions speak louder than words. The official announcement of Graham's scheduled FA visit to Denver was already in the press 17 minutes into the free agency period. Not that anybody ever tampers in this league:

Graham's plan - Reiss' Pieces

There were in negotiations. He would have stayed had they gotten a contract done. It's pretty cut and dry unless your claim is that Graham's side was bargaining in bad faith.

Smith is going to be the receiver. He is not a very effective blocker imo. He reminds me of a poor man's shannon sharpe.

If smith cant block whose gonna be the blocking tight end

There were in negotiations. He would have stayed had they gotten a contract done. It's pretty cut and dry unless your claim is that Graham's side was bargaining in bad faith.

How do we know there were any serious negotiations? All we have is a simple 3rd-person statement that talks "didn't advance." And if by "bargaining in bad faith" you mean talking with one team for the primary purpose of improving your negotiating position with another, preferred team, of course I think that's likely. It's simply business as usual in the NFL.

Yes, it's possible that money was all that came between the Pats and another round of Graham. But here's what we DO know:

- Months--even years--before free agency, the word on the street was that Graham wanted to hightail it to his hometown of Denver as soon as he hit free agency.

- In the months leading up to free agency, stories started appearing in the press about how unhappy Graham was with his role on the team and how he felt that the Patriots hadn't used him to his potential.

- If there were any contract talks with the Pats they didn't progress far, and were dead weeks before free agency began.

- The instant free agency began Graham was on a plane to Denver, as predicted.

What in that leads you to the conclusion that Graham was ready to re-up if only the Pats had been a little looser with the purse strings?

How do we know there were any serious negotiations? All we have is a simple 3rd-person statement that talks "didn't advance." And if by "bargaining in bad faith" you mean talking with one team for the primary purpose of improving your negotiating position with another, preferred team, of course I think that's likely. It's simply business as usual in the NFL.

Yes, it's possible that money was all that came between the Pats and another round of Graham. But here's what we DO know:

- Months--even years--before free agency, the word on the street was that Graham wanted to hightail it to his hometown of Denver as soon as he hit free agency.

You'll note that I posted something pointing to the opposite reality.

- In the months leading up to free agency, stories started appearing in the press about how unhappy Graham was with his role on the team and how he felt that the Patriots hadn't used him to his potential.

Why would anyone have expected him not to be unhappy, given how the Patriots had changed his role? That doesn't mean it couldn't have been resolved with him remaining on the team.

- If there were any contract talks with the Pats they didn't progress far, and were dead weeks before free agency began.

Really? First, there were negotiations. As to how far they went, or when they ended, please share any facts you might have about either item.

- The instant free agency began Graham was on a plane to Denver, as predicted.

That's how free agency often works with the best players.

What in that leads you to the conclusion that Graham was ready to re-up if only the Pats had been a little looser with the purse strings?

Common sense and news information. There were negotiations that simply didn't work out. Until one side or the other makes the claim that there was bad faith negotiations, I'll not make that assumption.

Last edited:
You are such a contentious d!ck that it's practically indescribable.

OK...drag out this dead horse for whatever jilted lover reason you seem to have been carrying since Graham left.You say this....

So Dan Graham is "one of the best!!!" what?...players in the NFL? ludicrous...tight ends???? alright, if so then why would BB do what YOU describe made him contentious?
Why would anyone have expected him not to be unhappy, given how the Patriots had changed his role?

I'm assuming you refer to BB emphasizing Graham's blocking and reducing his offensive touches. I defer to Bill Belichick in these matters. Obviously YOU think Graham is all league, "one of the best!!!!!" as you infer...BB however thought Graham was best suited to primarily block in the Patriots offense, with Watson as the receiving tight end. Perhaps you missed the many drops Graham had in his career here.

The real point here is that Graham was a given to test the free agency market that season, and the media as well as many fans knew this the entire season.

Until one side or the other makes the claim that there was bad faith negotiations, I'll not make that assumption.

Nice strawman...no one is ever going to make THAT argument because the issue is so puny that no one cares.

But if it makes you feel any better, YOU WIN AGAIN!!!

Yes, Deus Irae, the one and only Patriots fan here that HAS NEVER EVER LOST AN ARGUMENT. And if anyone doubts that, just ask him.

You are such a contentious d!ck that it's practically indescribable.

OK...drag out this dead horse for whatever jilted lover reason you seem to have been carrying since Graham left.You say this....

So Dan Graham is "one of the best!!!" what?...players in the NFL? ludicrous...tight ends???? alright, if so then why would BB do what YOU describe made him contentious?
Why would anyone have expected him not to be unhappy, given how the Patriots had changed his role?

I'm assuming you refer to BB emphasizing Graham's blocking and reducing his offensive touches. I defer to Bill Belichick in these matters. Obviously YOU think Graham is all league, "one of the best!!!!!" as you infer...BB however thought Graham was best suited to primarily block in the Patriots offense, with Watson as the receiving tight end. Perhaps you missed the many drops Graham had in his career here.

The real point here is that Graham was a given to test the free agency market that season, and the media as well as many fans knew this the entire season.

Until one side or the other makes the claim that there was bad faith negotiations, I'll not make that assumption.

Nice strawman...no one is ever going to make THAT argument because the issue is so puny that no one cares.

But if it makes you feel any better, YOU WIN AGAIN!!!

Yes, Deus Irae, the one and only Patriots fan here that HAS NEVER EVER LOST AN ARGUMENT. And if anyone doubts that, just ask him.

Ummmm I didn't start any contention. I made a simple post about Graham and others contested the post. I then defended my positions. But don't let the facts get in your way.

I did, after all, correct someone who wrongly claimed Graham wasn't starting in Denver. I'm sure that could be considered 'contention' if you really wanted it to.

By the way, nice language.

Last edited:
You'll note that I posted something pointing to the opposite reality.

Really? First, there were negotiations. As to how far they went, or when they ended, please share any facts you might have about either item.

Common sense and news information. There were negotiations that simply didn't work out. Until one side or the other makes the claim that there was bad faith negotiations, I'll not make that assumption.

Ok why don't you share your facts regarding the negotiations?

Every outsider (fan) is making assumptions about what happened during the negotiations, but considering the timing of Graham's signing with Denver I think Patchick's assumptions have some validity. Also considering the Patriots drafted Watson in the first round the year after they drafted Graham I think its pretty obvious they didn't consider Graham the solution to all of their TE problems, but this is just an assumption on my part.

Why would anyone have expected him not to be unhappy, given how the Patriots had changed his role? That doesn't mean it couldn't have been resolved with him remaining on the team.

FWIW, here are the receiving stats for Daniel Graham, whose "role was changed" by the Patriots despite him being one of the league's "best players," and who went on to a team that would use him to greater advantage. Since he was never healthy enough to play more than 14 games in a season with the Pats, I'll use receptions per game played as my metric:

2002 NEP 1.25
2003 NEP 2.71
2004 NEP 2.14
2005 NEP 1.45
2006 NEP 1.75
2007 DEN 1.60
2008 DEN 2.00

So Graham's first two years were outliers, one low and one high. Since then he's been roughly a 1.75 catches a game guy, with normal variance, regardless of team. (For perspective, the "great disappointment" Ben Watson has averaged 3 or more catches a game in 2 of his 4 seasons.)

Graham was a great blocker for the Pats but never a major threat as a receiver. Denver gambled that the Pats were under-using him in the passing game, talked about their plans to showcase him as a receiver, paid him accordingly, then discovered that "he is what he is." Midway through his first season in Denver Graham was already grumbling that the Broncos weren't using him right (and bitterly bad-mouthing his old team too just for good measure).

So I'll put aside all of the flashing neon signs saying that Graham really wanted to go to Denver and answer your question at face value. If the Patriots had it to do over again and could have signed Graham simply by besting the huge contract with $15 million in guarantees from the Broncos, would they? I say nope, not even close. Baker, Smith and Watson combined are all making less than Graham, and it's far from clear how to rank those four players.

He was a blocking TE. He was a great blocker, but you can find blocking only TEs. He sucked as a receiver. How many years did he lead the league for drops by a TE? How come we aren't throwing this guy under the bus like we do all our other former players. He isn't even starting in Denver.

ONE. One year did he lead the league in drops for a TE. I really wish people would get their facts straight before continuing to trash Graham.

As for Graham in Denver, he's started 31 of 31 games since he got there. Not sure where you get your facts. I get them from NFL.com

Daniel Graham

ONE. One year did he lead the league in drops for a TE. I really wish people would get their facts straight before continuing to trash Graham.

As for Graham in Denver, he's started 31 of 31 games since he got there. Not sure where you get your facts. I get them from NFL.com

Daniel Graham

It sometimes boggles my mind how people come in and start talking stuff they know very little or nothing about at all. Someone definitely corrected him on the whole "Graham is not even a starter in Denver" thing. My opinions may not always be in line with everyone else, but I always try to make sure I get the facts and figures right.

Last edited:
I think it came down to Graham wanting to be closer to home. Going to school in Boulder and maybe cuz his father played there who knows.

FWIW, here are the receiving stats for Daniel Graham, whose "role was changed" by the Patriots despite him being one of the league's "best players," and who went on to a team that would use him to greater advantage. Since he was never healthy enough to play more than 14 games in a season with the Pats, I'll use receptions per game played as my metric:

2002 NEP 1.25
2003 NEP 2.71
2004 NEP 2.14
2005 NEP 1.45
2006 NEP 1.75
2007 DEN 1.60
2008 DEN 2.00

So Graham's first two years were outliers, one low and one high. Since then he's been roughly a 1.75 catches a game guy, with normal variance, regardless of team. (For perspective, the "great disappointment" Ben Watson has averaged 3 or more catches a game in 2 of his 4 seasons.)

Graham was a great blocker for the Pats but never a major threat as a receiver. Denver gambled that the Pats were under-using him in the passing game, talked about their plans to showcase him as a receiver, paid him accordingly, then discovered that "he is what he is." Midway through his first season in Denver Graham was already grumbling that the Broncos weren't using him right (and bitterly bad-mouthing his old team too just for good measure).

So I'll put aside all of the flashing neon signs saying that Graham really wanted to go to Denver and answer your question at face value. If the Patriots had it to do over again and could have signed Graham simply by besting the huge contract with $15 million in guarantees from the Broncos, would they? I say nope, not even close. Baker, Smith and Watson combined are all making less than Graham, and it's far from clear how to rank those four players.

1.) His role did change, as Watson (I believe) noted.

2.) I didn't mean to say Graham was one of the league's best players, and if the way I wrote my point made it seem that I did, my apologies. He was one of the best players available in free agency (Only so many tight ends come free each season). As everyone who follows the game knows, the signings of the top free agents usually come fast and furious at the beginning of the free agency period.

3.) Again, he negotiated with the team and they couldn't come to an agreement. That should come as no surprise, given the amount he eventually signed for.

4.) You claim all the flashing neon signs, but you've offered no examples of them. I, on the other hand, quoted from an article refuting your claim. Even if it were true that Graham had a preference, and I don't care if he did, the Patriots could have offered him more money had they chosen to. The Patriots did what they so often do: they gambled that they could adequately replace Graham's production. The Patriots were wrong. It wasn't the first time and it was the last. It happens to every team. It will happen to the Patriots again in the future. They were able to overcome the problem every game that season, except one.

5.) Graham is better than Baker, Smith and Watson IMO. So, there's that ranking. He's paid more and he's better. Oddly enough, quality blocking has become a rarity for tight ends, as they've mostly become over sized wide receivers in today's game.

6.) Pointing to receptions as some proof of talent or utility is misleading, given that he's used on the line for blocking more than anything else. That's his 'issue', as a matter of fact, so holding it against him seems to be less than an honest way to evaluate to my way of thinking. However, I don't much care about the man's receiving. His blocking is what was missed.

Last edited:
Pointing to receptions as some proof of talent or utility is misleading, given that he's used on the line for blocking more than anything else. That's his 'issue', as a matter of fact, so holding it against him seems to be less than an honest way to evaluate to my way of thinking. However, I don't much care about the man's receiving. His blocking is what was missed.

Huh? Let's roll back this conversation...I said:

patrick said:
In the months leading up to free agency, stories started appearing in the press about how unhappy Graham was with his role on the team and how he felt that the Patriots hadn't used him to his potential.

You responded:

Deus Irae said:

OK. So it sure sounded like you were saying that Graham was rightly unhappy with Pats moving him to a blocking role, and that it could/should have been otherwise if he'd stayed. So I tried to demonstrate that he has never been a significant receiving threat...and you respond with "That's irrelevant! He's just a blocker!"

My head is swimming.

OK. So it sure sounded like you were saying that Graham was rightly unhappy with Pats moving him to a blocking role, and that it could/should have been otherwise if he'd stayed. So I tried to demonstrate that he has never been a significant receiving threat...and you respond with "That's irrelevant! He's just a blocker!"

My head is swimming.

LOL. Forum logic, or illogic as may be the case. Gotta love it.

My head is swimming.

2003: 38 catches, 14 games
2004: 30 catches, 14 games
2005: 16 catches, 11 games
2006: 21 catches, 12 games

So, 2003-2004, he had 68 catches in 28 games. (2.43 per game)
In 2005-2006, he had 37 catches in 23 games. (1.61 per game)

That's a big difference as a percentage (it's a 34% decline).

However, my point about Graham's being missed was regarding his blocking, not his receiving. It's two different things being argued by people defending Belichick's decision.

Belichick thought that Watson would improve enough so that between Thomas as a help, and a veteran (Brady) the replacement moves would be enough. He was wrong in the end, largely because Brady was a failure and Thomas has been a dud. I understand his thinking, since it's been pretty consistent during his tenure here. I just didn't buy it given the available alternatives. Sometimes he's right and sometimes he's wrong, just like every other human being. In this case, I think he was wrong, and I think Kraft would find a way to pay an extra million or two if he go go back in time after the 18-1 season and keep Graham instead of watching the team end up with Brady.

You are, naturally, free to disagree.

Last edited:

Daniel Graham

I don't look up stats. My bad. I'd rather rely on my suspect memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back