PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alex Magee, the next Jarvis Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKraftyOne

Reaction score
Purdue's Alex Magee looked good in one on one pass rushing drills today at Senior Bowl practice. He was very athletic and fast for his size and looked like he had strong hands. He's a 4-3 DT that could play 3-4 DE but he's more like Jarvis Green than Warren or Seymour. It could be a move that will pay off in a couple of years if they end up losing Green. Magee would fit that role IMO and he'll probably go in the 3rd or 4th round where they got Jarvis.

I'll rewatch the practice later, but he's a mid-round option along with Jarron Gilbert (San Jose State) and Ron Brace (BC).

I'll rewatch the practice later, but he's a mid-round option along with Jarron Gilbert (San Jose State) and Ron Brace (BC).

That's where I figure he'll go unless he keeps impressing this week. I only watched the pass rush/protection drills. An O-lineman that looked really good in those drills at guard was Cincy's Trevor Canfield. Good at guard but not so good at tackle. He's supposed to have a nasty attitude. Check him out.

That's where I figure he'll go unless he keeps impressing this week. I only watched the pass rush/protection drills. An O-lineman that looked really good in those drills at guard was Cincy's Trevor Canfield. Good at guard but not so good at tackle. He's supposed to have a nasty attitude. Check him out.
I've been watching him all season because Cincy got a lot of TV time. He really struggled yesterday, but got his dander up today and made those DL work. I want to watch Eric Woods this afternoon, I liked what I saw of him for Louisville.

I've been looking at Kyle Moore from USC as a possible rotation guy. Kind of a tweener (not heavy enough for 3-4 end/4-3 tackle and not quick enough for 4-3 end). Seems to have the frame and strength the Pats want, but not sure he has the motor or smarts.

Generally USC players are over-rated, but Moore may slide under the radar. Might be a nice day 2 pickup. Kinda reminds me of Marquise Hill, which I guess is a mixed blessing. Anyone have any insight into Moore?

It looks like Tennessee's Robert Ayers is a much better pass rusher than Magee. He looked unblockable in the one on one drill so Ayers gets the early vote from me over Magee as a Jarvis Green type DE.

It looks like Tennessee's Robert Ayers is a much better pass rusher than Magee. He looked unblockable in the one on one drill so Ayers gets the early vote from me over Magee as a Jarvis Green type DE.

I read Ayers profile on nflscout.com. He seems like a fit here. We like those SEC
players. Would love to get a de like him, an olb like Cushing and a couple of
db's in this draft. If we get a first for Cassel. We can probably do that if we want.

NE visited with Ayers per a couple sources. Ayer's pass rush is one thing, the question to be answered is his run defense and whether he can play as effectively with the weight he'll need to add to match Jarvis Green's playing weight. McGee is already playing in the 295 range.

I've been watching him all season because Cincy got a lot of TV time. He really struggled yesterday, but got his dander up today and made those DL work. I want to watch Eric Woods this afternoon, I liked what I saw of him for Louisville.

Canfield is nasty and I love nasty on the OL. However Unger is still my man. He put Raji on the ground and no one has done that sofar this week.

Canfield is nasty and I love nasty on the OL. However Unger is still my man. He put Raji on the ground and no one has done that sofar this week.
No argument, but if Unger is gone Canfield is an option.

NE visited with Ayers per a couple sources. Ayer's pass rush is one thing, the question to be answered is his run defense and whether he can play as effectively with the weight he'll need to add to match Jarvis Green's playing weight. McGee is already playing in the 295 range.

Ayers looked good rushing the passer but I also saw him downshifting on one play he was trailing. I'd like to see them get a player in one of the middle rounds with a high motor and enough skill to be a situational rusher like Bruschi was when they drafted him. Hopefully he'll have enough talent to grow into another role later. From the little I saw, Ayers has the tools to bring pressure from the edge but BB doesn't like many one trick ponies. We'll know more after the upcoming game about his play against the run, awareness, brains, motor etc.

It's early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing