PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aldon Smith:We can stop them

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Arizona and Seattle's D can, I don't see why they couldn't.

The question isn't if they can, but will they? I thought Houston's could too, but didn't go so well for them so we'll see.

Can't wait for this game though. Should be awesome game and a good test for us either way which will better prepare us for the playoffs.

Last edited:
The proven way to stop this offense is interior pressure. The 49ers can bring interior pressure.

If the 49ers offense was halfway decent, I'd be worried about this game...

Patriot answer: They're a really good football team.

Yup. Here's Vince Wilfork on the dreaded 49ers offense, which averages 24 points per games:

"This week is going to be very, very crucial for us getting back to the sidelines every series to go over things they're doing differently," Wilfork said. "It's impossible to try to cover everything they do because they do a bunch of things -- two-back [formations], three-back, sometimes four guys. Four tight ends. It's a lot of work. We have to prepare well and make a sideline adjustment. It's going to be crucial for us this week."

Aside from the number of formations the Niners use, they change personnel and make frequent substitutions, which adds another layer for which New England must prepare.

"When you turn on the film, you see a bunch of formations, different numbers come in and out," Wilfork said. "They change by the play, every other play, people coming in, running in and off the field. It's going to be some work. This week's going to be very, very crucial for us on sideline adjustments. Probably biggest one of the year so we'll have to do a good job on sideline adjustments and in practice also."

One player Wilfork expects to be on the field and the focal point of those unusual multi-back sets: his old college teammate, Niners running back Frank Gore.

"Frank is Frank," said Wilfork, who played with Gore for three years at the University of Miami. "Ever since I played with him till now. Still running the ball hard. He's one of those backs. He's an old school back. He could care less running sideline to sideline. He'd rather duck his head and get the hard 2, 3, 4 yards, and he's pretty shifty."

Then there's new Niners quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, who's also a threat to run out of the backfield. Wilfork lumped Kaepernick with the new era of NFL quarterbacks who can run and throw with accuracy. Though a headache for a defensive tackle, Wilfork admitted that they're likely "the future" of the position.

"I get tired of chasing quarterbacks around," Wilfork said. "Chase running backs and then you have to worry about the quarterback's rush lanes and things like that. You can't set a front to a certain way. There are certain ways you have to play those guys and you have to be very cautious of how you play them. We're gonna have a test this week, I'll tell you that."

Wilfork said (a little sheepishly) that the Niners offense may have even more varied sets than the Patriots.

"We don't have more than three running backs in at a time," he said. "We don't have lineman in the backfield all the time. Like I said, these guys run some plays like, man, you can give an offensive lineman the ball. You never know. You can't be surprised what they show you because they show you so many things, and I'm pretty sure they have a lot more. So we're going to expect the kitchen sink."

Wilfork: Sideline adjustments will be key against Niners

Couple that kind of dynamic multi-faceted offense with the best and most physical defense with the NFL and, obviously, we don't stand a chance.

If Arizona and Seattle's D can, I don't see why they couldn't.

The question isn't if they can, but will they? I thought Houston's could too, but didn't go so well for them so we'll see.

Can't wait for this game though. Should be awesome game and a good test for us either way which will better prepare us for the playoffs.

Arizona game was flukey to me. If we played them today the Pats would drop more points than the Seahawks did. Seattle's D didn't stop the Patriots, they slowed them down when we still weren't playing as well as we are now. 24 on the Seahawks D is good.

The proven way to stop this offense is interior pressure. The 49ers can bring interior pressure.

If the 49ers offense was halfway decent, I'd be worried about this game...

Teams that can pressure Brady with 4 people cause problems. The niners can do that. If the Pats can't stretch the field and open up the middle, this could be a long night...

Arizona game was flukey to me. If we played them today the Pats would drop more points than the Seahawks did. Seattle's D didn't stop the Patriots, they slowed them down when we still weren't playing as well as we are now. 24 on the Seahawks D is good.

Miami slows us down too though just 2 weeks ago. I can see the 49ers bringing in the type of pressure the Giants did in the Superbowls. They have the talent. Houston managed to get us into 3 and out on 4 drives consecutively too.

We'll see.

I'm not making a big deal out of this. We're the type of offense that believes we can score on any defense in the league. They're the type of defense that believes they can stop any offense in the league.

I don't see ****iness in his statements. I see confidence, in line with how their defense has played the past 2 years. I'm not offended over it. Good for them I say.

Bring it. I want them to bring it. I was disappointed in Houston. I wanna see us get tested like that. I wanna see some team shut us out in the first half like Miami did last year and let our guys adjust, battle back out of it, winning a close one in the last 2 minutes.

That would make me feel really good about us as a team going into the playoffs.

Well the Rams opened 'em up twice like soft peanuts. That's right, the Lambs. The way some of you guys are talking, it's the '85 Bears coming to town!

Last edited:
Well the Rams opened 'em up twice like soft peanuts. That's right, the Lambs. The way some of you guys are talking, it's the '85 Bears coming to town!
Every time the Patriots play a good team, that team is to be feared before the game is played. Once the game is over and NE has won, that team to be feared was never very good to begin with.

Their defense is great but I think if you look closer at their games on the schedule there are things that factor into making them look a bit better. I think someone brought this up but the QB's they've faced this season: Rodgers, Stafford, Sanchez, Fitzpatrick, Ponder, Eli, Russel Wilson, Skelton, Sam Bradford, Jason Campbell, Brees (who threw 2 pick 6's), and Ryan Tannehill.

The only good QB's they've played that are close to Brady are Rodgers, Brees, and Eli.

Rodgers v.s. the 49ers: 30/44 303YDs 2TD 1NT
Brees v.s. the 49ers: 26/41 267YDs 3TD 2INT
Eli v.s. the 49ers: 15/28 193YDs 1TD

When Rodgers and Eli played them that is when they were both going through rough patches imo. Brees has been struggling all season but without the 2 pick 6's the Saints win. Two teams that they lost to Rams and Giants I think the Patriots can replicate what they did.

Last edited:
Teams that can pressure Brady with 4 people cause problems. The niners can do that. If the Pats can't stretch the field and open up the middle, this could be a long night...

you don't have to worry about stretching the field. I think the fact that the pats did no RB dumpoffs (well, except the woodhead to lloyd fumblerooski) last week was to try to hide that tendency from the niners......

home game......december.....the pats will be ready

It's all about setting a tempo and rhythm in football. If the Pats move the ball confidently first few series and put up points that deflates a D and it can snowball into a rout. See MNF against the Texans.

Conversely, if the Niners D get a couple of three and outs. Knock Tom around some it's a whole different game. I still see the Pats putting up more points than SF can match if our D keeps playing like it has lately.

A. Smith is confident, as he should be. Laying into Solder was the mistake IMHO

From Jason Cole at Yahoo.com:

As Smith and the 49ers get set to play the New England Patriots with each team trying to hold on to the No. 2 seed in their conferences, one of the most important questions for San Francisco is whether it can get pressure on Tom Brady. The 49ers are built to do that, starting with a front that can push the pocket into Brady's face, something that makes him particularly skittish because Brady is not mobile. And if he hits the ground enough, the Patriots are much more beatable.

Brady has been sacked 20 times this season. In the six games the Patriots have won by more than 10 points, Brady has been sacked only three times. In the other seven games, the Patriots are 4-3 and Brady has been sacked 17 times.

"If you want to beat the Patriots, you have to get to Tom," New York Giants defensive lineman Justin Tuck said this offseason. "You have to get him off his mark. If he stands in there and just delivers, he's going to kill you. If you get him to move or get to him, you have a chance. He starts to look around and he starts to get anxious, yelling a lot."

As for Smith, he said this week that he expects the 49ers will be able to keep the Patriots under control. Moreover, he's looking forward to facing Patriots offensive tackle Nate Solder. The two faced off in college when Smith was at Missouri and Solder was at Colorado. The result was three sacks for Smith.

Direct Snap: Aldon Smith out to make Tom Brady his latest primetime punching bag - Yahoo! Sports

This part really bothered me;

A minor footnote to the bounty scandal: Over the years that Roger Goodell has been commissioner, one of the constant things that people who work with him have said is that if you lie to him, he will be harsh with his punishment. While that has some emotional validity if you're a parent, it's not realistic as a mechanism for managing people, particularly ones protected by a union. In short, Goodell needs to understand that people will lie when pushed into a corner. He needs to take the lie out of the equation and simply account for the act.

Goodell wasn't lied to during Crygate. His ego is what gets in the way so he overreacts to lies. Basically, he wants his ass kissed.

Also concerning Crygate, I think Goody had forced himself into a corner with severe penalties against a couple of players (Pacman was one) prior to the Rats going to the league. It's my opinion that he was ramped up by the losers that the Pats had dispatched along the way to their dynasty of the 2000's. There are bones of those all over the NFL.

Goodell is a lousy Commish. I'm still waiting for Condolleezza Rice to take over. She wants the job.

Last edited:
Having Brady as your QB and Dante as your OL coach may put a damper on Smith's remarks. Will bear watching during the game. Solder, as has been stated before, has faced some pretty good DE's so I can't see him as a big weakness along the line. I'd be more worried about Wendell and Connolly.
Sounds like a gameplan with 2 TE's could be in the works or 3 TE's using Hernandez as a WR/RB.

Ridley and Vereen may get a workout also with a few timely runs or catches by Woody.

Gonna be a great game ! :singing:

Last edited:
Well, he's right. The 49ers can stop us. We can also stomp them. We'll see Sunday.

The way I feel about this Pats team right now is this: If they play poorly, they can lose to pretty much anybody (hello Arizona). But nobody has the ability, barring just a completely bizarre set of circumstances, to crush the Pats.

On the other hand, the Pats can beat most teams even if they bring their C game, and if they bring their A game, they have the ability to just demolish anybody, including the 49ers.

So I see the spread in this game being this: -7 to +24

If the Pats lose, it'll be close. If they win, it could be close or they could blow out SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots