PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aldon Smith - OLB - Missouri (HT: 6-5 - WT: 260)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is atop my big board right now for #17, afraid he may not last that long.

you actually have a big board, or is that a figure of speech?

you actually have a big board, or is that a figure of speech?

Sort of. I assume that the top few guys are gone, and then make a list of the remainders. Right now, there are 10 guys that I'm pretty sure will be gone, and Smith is my first of 7 guys that I'd want at 17.

I think that we need to have an assessment of the linebackers as they are presently constituted before we start wanting prospects. As it stands right now they are all set inside with the will and mike in addition to two good sub guys. At um, flanker, they have the sam in Cunningham and two decent enough sub guys in Nink and TBC. Moore is a nice hand in the dirt/Sam hybrid. What they are missing is the jack/joker/whatever you care to call it which is the weakside or right OLB. This is typically the best athlete on the defense in the 34, and is less about weight and stoutness and more about length and explosion. That being identified, it reduces the need for and probability of taking a Kerrigan or converting a more classic 43 end.

So in looking at that we're basically left with three high level choices that are fits. Smith, Quinn, and Houston all fit the mold that is required for the Jack. Length to take on tackles in slide protections and to clog passing lanes (a HIGHLY underrated attribute, btw, and one I feel more valuable than explosion and counter moves), the explosion to force deep steps from linemen, the agility to drive laterally against bubble screens and quick tosses, and the hips to settle and drive from zones. Obviously, higher level skills such as countermoves, pass coverages nuances such as hand pulls and invisible jersey pulls, awareness, and snap cadence identification matter as well but it's really hard to ID those accurately.

While all three players mentioned have holes in their game and relative fit, it basically comes down to Smith and Quinn on the explosion front, and Houston in the linebacker one. Smith and Quinn have highly limited tape, Houston's work ethic concerns frighten me but I generally like his game. I'll hold off judgement until I see some linebacker drills to evaluate hips and footwork, but right now it's a total crapshoot.

Props on the great post and analysis. My question is, for the ROLB, wouldn't Von Miller, Akeem Ayers or even Martez Wilson be possible fits for this role?

Two words to worry about concerning Aldon Smith -
1. Raw
2. Immature

He might have a lot of talent but I don't think he'll make an immediate impact until he gets stronger and figures out the Pats defensive system. Can he successfully convert to 3-4 OLB? It took guys like Bruschi and Vrabel a few years to get up to speed and we need an impact player with a 1st round pick. I'd say stud DE is by far the safer choice for an early 1st rounder.

Props on the great post and analysis. My question is, for the ROLB, wouldn't Von Miller, Akeem Ayers or even Martez Wilson be possible fits for this role?

I'm not high on 'Tez Wilson, but when he runs a low 4.5 or high 4.4 at the combine, he'll start getting some 1st-round buzz.

I'm not high on 'Tez Wilson, but when he runs a low 4.5 or high 4.4 at the combine, he'll start getting some 1st-round buzz.

I like him and think he is a good player and leader. I've been wrong before about alot players. So far Gronkowski and his back surgery have proven me wrong. But Martez and his surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck scares me off a little. I'm no doctor but I would hope the Pats physicians check this kid out thoroughly to make sure he is going to hold up.

Illinois Illini middle linebacker Martez Wilson (neck) to miss rest of season - ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back