Welcome to PatsFans.com

Alcholism/Drug Addiction, Disease or Weakness of Character/Behavior?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turd Furguson, May 7, 2006.

1. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Which side of the fence do you sit on in this issue?

Personally I cant accept that its a disease. Measles are a disease, Chicken pox is a disease, Diabetes is a disease. Those are all things that can afflict us no matter what we do.

If I CHOOSE not to take a drink or do drugs, I wont have the above "afflictions"

I believe they are behavioral choices followed by weakness of character.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's not a disease. Just like when I overeat it's not a disease. It's my choice.
  3. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You mean I currently DONT have "Stufffritosinyourmouth-itis"?
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You might, but it's not a disease. A disease is Aids, Leukemia, polio, etc. Alcoholism is no more a disease than is not paying your bills and filing bankruptcy. My father drank too much, realized it, and then stopped cold turkey. Lots of people I know demonstrated the "symptoms" of addiction in the 80's, including probably myself in my early 20's, but just changed their bahavior and moved on.:cool:
  5. drpatriot

drpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Let me start off by saying that I have little sympathy for alcoholics and drug addicts who lose everything. It was their choice to start and that was the worst decision they will ever make. However, it bothers me that people think that you can just quit alcohol or drugs like it is nothing. Though I believe strength of will does have a lot to do with cutting yourself off from alcohol or drugs, it is much easier said than done. Both alcohol and drugs are PHYSICALLY ADDICTING chemicals that your body will crave after their being introduced to the system, and some drugs are worse than others.

Let's compare drugs to another addicting substance: caffeine. Anyone who drinks coffee knows what it is like to wake up in the morning and NEED their coffee. Until they have their coffee, they are generally groggy, grumpy and unable to function. This is because they crave the caffeine. If it is suggested that they don't have their coffee, they say, "Are you crazy?" The only difference between having caffeine and taking drugs is that there are no bad side effects of coffee, other than needing the coffee and perhaps some bad breath. Though drugs are a stupid mistake that people make, quitting should not be treated like it's as easy as a cup of coffee. No pun intended, of course.
  6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +803 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

I think that there's scientific evidence that some brains have weaknesses towards certain chemicals - be they drugs or alcohol, so it's a genetic predisposition, possibly related to ethnic groups although liberals won't let that be said. Fortunately, there's a well known history of people overcoming such deficiencies and successfully dealing with the problems. We're NOT all created equal and some of us have a tougher set of cards to deal with in life. Life is unfair and unequal. The universe could not care less. People have to deal with it. Those with better support systems of family, friends or whatever have better odds of dealing with the demons. But 1st they need to realize they have a problem.

I'm thankful that even though I'm a Mick, I don't have the all too prevalent Irish booze jones.
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

A person who eats too many egg sandwiches for breakfast will likely end up with heart disease, and while many will blame said person for his disease nobody denies that it is a disease.

A person who does too much Coke or Heroin will blow out the pleasure center of his brain to the point that no kind of pleasure of any kind can be registered. The Pats winning the Superbowl, winning the lottery, having sex with Heidi Klum or even doing the drug that got him there won't work. The addict's brain is forever damaged. 50 years on the straight and narrow doesn't fix that.

Imagine being forced to go through life without being able to be happy again, its like having to be a Colts fan for heaven's sake.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think your terminology is misguiding you there. Yes, it is called "Heart Disease" but I don't think anyone thinks of Heart Disease as a disease like Cancer that you get (usually) through no fault of your own.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

I'm on the disease side, primarily because it effects my family and I, I know if I drink I have a hard time stopping...my father died from booze and cigarettes, my siblings cannot drink either...so my choice is I do not drink...in my younger days I was in denial and caused problems for myself and others..not in terms of criminal or illegal activity, but in terms of lost work and lost time..for the grace of god I never hit anyone while driving under the influence.

I recognized it and stopped it, initially it was difficult going to weddings etc. but have realized over time that I am better off without it, a great joy of mine is when I go to a function is to watch people descend into idiocy under the influence...I am very comfortable being a non drinker now.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I agree in the genetic pre-disposition to addiction. I think we can all agree that there is a difference between addiction and disease. We treat both, but do so very differently.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

And, therein, lies the answer. You cannot recogize and stop a disease like cancer or whatever. That's the difference.
  12. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now THERE'S a disease.
  13. phantom73

phantom73 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

First off, all three of your examples are influenced by human behavior, just the same as addiction.

Second, almost all diseases, with the exception of some genetic disorders, are somehow impacted, for better or for worse by behavioral and environmental factors.

Just of curiousity, genius, do you think people with Alzheimer's choose to be forgetful?

For that matter, what's your experience in physiology, neurophysiology, or pathophysiology, or epidemiology? I would think that your vaunted opinion would be grounded in some experience in some of these fields.....
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I think we should call addiction "addiction". We can even call a disease a "disease". Both can get treatment and both can relapse.
  15. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can you CHOOSE not to have Alzheimers?
    Can you CHOOSE to have your tumors go away?

I can certainly CHOOSE not to drink or take drugs.

You should check your belief system my friend.
  16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

You can certainly reduce the likelihood of Alzheimers, tumors, or alcoholism by eating well and exercising. To some degree, diseases are genetic or there's just no avoiding them, and there's a good amount of evidence that people are predisposed to all sorts of illnesses, including alcoholism, irrational behavior, cancer, and so on.
  17. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +240 / 13 / -21

#15 Jersey

I manage my Tourette's with Coke, Weed and Booze. They're the perfect counteractive.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Whatever works for you!:)
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

There is some evidence that nothing you do will reduce the likelihood of disorders like alzhiemers any more than other neurological disruptions. Some things may delay or reduce the severity of them, but...

Genetics has many time-bombs in store for us as we age, and there's nothing we can do other than hope for a future gene therapy or correction. We are pre-disposed to a number of unknown yet pre-programmed "weaknesses", but that is literally who we are.

Some diseases are parasitic or viral in nature and no one has an advantage over someone else. If you are infected, a., b. and c. occur. Then you die or are injurred. We are only pre-disposed by geography or socio-economic conditions. I think addiction is a combination of the two, but it is much more controllable and reversible than the things we traditionally and correctly refer to as diseases.
  20. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +240 / 13 / -21

#15 Jersey

I want everyone to see the real drug craze that's gripping our nation.

Turn on your TV, wait about 10 minutes and you will see an ad for a drug company.

It is an industry that is taking over our society so insidiously that the average consumer has no idea what there getting in too. Take this for this. Take that to counteract that. It's a never-ending cycle. But to hell with those people, they should have known better.

If you think addiction is some farce then you people have no idea what is going on around you everyday. Millions of undeclared addicts wander amongst you, always contemplating how to get the next fix. Only it's from a doctor or a pharmacist, not an illegal drug dealer.

It isn't just booze and illegal drugs anymore. There is a new threat, and there is alot of money to be made off of it. That is why the right supports it.

The new drug-dealer is a powerful coporate officer, not some street thug. He doesn't have to bribe lowly policeman, he bribes the countries most powerful lawmakers.