PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Albert Haynesworth is on the trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was likely being talked about PRIOR to that bonus being paid, if he has been. Not paying a "guaranteed" option bonus simply results in that money becoming guaranteed in the form of salary...as was the case in Seymour's contract language...which means any team who traded for him would be responsible for almost $25M this season as well as $9M more if they kept him for 2011 and 2012 or an average cost of $11M+ over the next 3 years. Remember, because Philly had no interest in him the financials never got discussed.

Even Snyder wouldn't pay $21M for Haynesworth to play for someone else and have to live with the egg on his face for having paid him $32M for one disappointing season.

So the best guess is if he remains available it's because his option bonus wasn't paid and that means it would be the responsibility of whichever team he plays for this season...

The sad thing is that Shanahan knew about this and probably a lot of other bad Synder deals, and still took the job. What was he thinking?

The sad thing is that Shanahan knew about this and probably a lot of other bad Synder deals, and still took the job. What was he thinking?

That this clown would pay him top tier HCing guaranteed $$$ heading into a potential lockout and at least at the outset give him total control of football operations which meant he could among other things hire his kid to be his OC?

He was likely being talked about PRIOR to that bonus being paid, if he has been. Not paying a "guaranteed" option bonus simply results in that money becoming guaranteed in the form of salary...as was the case in Seymour's contract language...which means any team who traded for him would be responsible for almost $25M this season as well as $9M more if they kept him for 2011 and 2012 or an average cost of $11M+ over the next 3 years. Remember, because Philly had no interest in him the financials never got discussed.

Even Snyder wouldn't pay $21M for Haynesworth to play for someone else and have to live with the egg on his face for having paid him $32M for one disappointing season.

So the best guess is if he remains available it's because his option bonus wasn't paid and that means it would be the responsibility of whichever team he plays for this season...

OK Mo good points but ponder this. Snyder and Al do not lack for big egos. Al has his own elephant in Asomugha. I almost see Shanny's issues with Haynesworth as being not a NT nor would he acquiesce to such. I could see Al and Shanny doing a trade with Asomogah, Seymour and a second rounder for Haynesworth, disgruntled Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell. This has never been done but what if this could happen. Far fetched? You betcha but what the hell.........I know the NFLPA would have a fit but what if the two Teams pooled the outrageous salaries of the players involved and paid them via scheduled percentages?
Al gets to dump perhaps the worst contract in the history of the NFL. Snayder gets to dump the second worse. Haynesworth fits with the Raiders non 3-4 and we know Seymour can play that DE position. Rogers wants out of D.C. so that is the CB wash. Seymour was tagged at $12m per year. Haynesworth is a little cheaper. Now lets talk Asomogha. Yikes!

It sounds crazy. It's never been done but it could work.

Al get his QB and bails on the Asomugha contract and still winds up with a little younger stud D-Lineman. Shanny gets a great All Pro CB and All Pro better fit DE to start 2010.

DW Toys

Last edited:
for about $5 M per year you could have one of the best defensive players in football on your team for three years.
I'd love for the Pats to get a great defensive player. The thread subject fooled me, though. It makes it sound as though you're talking about Haynesworth.

Seems like the Redskins would take a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for Albert, I know his salary probably rules out any trade with the Pats but could you imagine Vince and Al in the middle of a 43 defense with a LB like Mayo behind them, wow.

Seems like the Redskins would take a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for Albert, I know his salary probably rules out any trade with the Pats but could you imagine Vince and Al in the middle of a 43 defense with a LB like Mayo behind them, wow.
Actually his salary is very trade friendly since Washington picked up his bonus in March.

Imagine a Warren - Brace - Haynesworth - Wilfork "Jumbo" front.

No-one is running on that ever.

Actually his salary is very trade friendly since Washington picked up his bonus in March.

Well, in case there is any confusion, I support this move.

If the April 25th roster of the Pats includes any combincation of:
DT - Haynesworth/Odrick/Joseph/Woods/Thomas/Alualu
OLB/DE - Hughes/Graham/Kindle/Everson/Dunlap/Morgan/JPP
WR - Bryant/Benn/Tate/Williams
TE - Gresham/Gronkowski/Hernandez

The team will be much improved and serious playoff contender (on paper).

Then damn pick the guy up and move to a 43 the Williams wall in Min will have nothing on vincey and al.

I can't believe someone like the Vikings or the Saints aren't interested. And he'd fit the Giants perfectly.

I can't believe someone like the Vikings or the Saints aren't interested. And he'd fit the Giants perfectly.

Not sure the Vikes actually need him there DL is already on of the tops in the NFL, even though Pat Williams is at the end of his career; but still playing damn good football. The Saints have a need for a DT next to Ellis. I agree he would fit right in with the Giants and that scheme. Why not the Pats though? ;)

Albert Haynesworth is a real piece of work. He has 2 good/great years ( both contract years ) & signs that 100 million dollar contract & reverts to his lazy ways.

The Redskins paid him that insane 21 million bonus this offseason & he rewards them by spouting off about Shanahan's new defensive scheme & proceeds to skip all off season voluntary work outs?

This guy makes AD look like a good soldier by comparison.

Not sure the Vikes actually need him there DL is already on of the tops in the NFL, even though Pat Williams is at the end of his career; but still playing damn good football. The Saints have a need for a DT next to Ellis. I agree he would fit right in with the Giants and that scheme. Why not the Pats though? ;)

He doesn't want to play in the 3-4. That's why he's got (what we over the pond affectionately call) a slapped arse and is acting the arsehole.

Well, in case there is any confusion, I support this move.

If the April 25th roster of the Pats includes any combincation of:
DT - Haynesworth/Odrick/Joseph/Woods/Thomas/Alualu
OLB/DE - Hughes/Graham/Kindle/Everson/Dunlap/Morgan/JPP
WR - Bryant/Benn/Tate/Williams
TE - Gresham/Gronkowski/Hernandez

The team will be much improved and serious playoff contender (on paper).

Except for the fact that some of them will bust. It's inevitable. We'll know in three years time....now, where did I leave that crystal ball?

He doesn't want to play in the 3-4. That's why he's got (what we over the pond affectionately call) a slapped arse and is acting the arsehole.

:D

To be fair I'd be pissed about it too. Complete waste of time playing a guy like Haynesworth in a 3-4, why would you ever change the scheme when you have an elite 4-3 player? The skills just don't translate.

The 3-4 switch is great for Orakpo but sucks for Haynesworth, especially if he gets moved to NT. The only way I can see it working is if you play him at RDE and Orakpo as the OLB on the opposite side. You could overload them on the same side if you want to but I think it's a bit easy for teams to scheme against that.

But honestly, what a waste of time this has all been. The scheme of the front seven was not the issue last year. Now, if they had some offense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back