Welcome to PatsFans.com

Albert Breer: Pats may look at Edwards, Brooks

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mcsully, May 21, 2006.

1. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=140160

One thing everyone can forget about is a lush June 1 market in the NFL, because this year the cuts of the past aren’t as necessary now that the salary cap is close to $20 million more than it was in 2005.

Still, there could be several interesting players out there for the Patriots, including two at linebacker.

San Diego Chargers veteran Donnie Edwards and University of Virginia’s Ahmad Brooks both could pair with Tedy Bruschi inside, enabling Mike Vrabel to move back outside.

To be honest, I have no idea who Brooks is and the character issue definitely raises some red flags. But my question is, why can't we sign him to a rookie free agent contract, or just a free agent contract? Was there a cut off date for this stuff? And if so, what was it.

*** I edited per my editing peers ***
    Last edited: May 21, 2006
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You can't sign a rookie until he's been "draft eligible" which Brooks hasn't been until he goes through the supplemental draft.

I don't think there was anything to this article other than the idle speculation that we've talked about. No actual insight that we're interested in either of these two as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
  3. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Supplement draft is different..you cant just sign him..he was supposed to be in regular draft but he got kicked off after he decided to go back. Vick was going to be in supplement draft wasnt he? I would love to get Brooks minus attitude but spending a 1st..i know some teams will and thats why i dont think he'll be a Patriot
  4. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

I was disappointed in the article - its title makes it sound as though there's inside info that the Pats brass is considering these moves. It's just speculation, though, like one of us posting here. Ugh.
  5. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

mcsully, you have almost 700 posts so you should know that copying entire articles here can get Ian in trouble with the copyright police and/or jeopardize the existance of this message board. Let's not risk that happening, OK?

Now to respond on topic:

I just finished reading the Breer article too, and of the two players mentioned I think the Pats would probably go for Edwards first, if he becomes available. My reasoning is that a first round pick is a high price to pay for Brooks, a player with questionable intelligence (low standardized test score) and questionable character (the "unspecified incident").

Furthermore, BB doesn't like to use high draft picks on positions which require a lot of on-field decision making (see "Management Secrets of the New England Patriots"), and other than quarterback, there is no position which requires it more than middle linebacker. It just takes too long (according to BB) to get them up the learning curve to a point where they can be productive on the field and not hurt the team with mental errors.

Edwards, on the other hand, has been a productive player in this league for a long time, and has shown toughness by remaining productive with a torn meniscus (I've had them and they are NOT fun). He also has EXPERIENCE in a 3-4 scheme. His size is a concern especially with respect to the "run stuffing linebacker" role, but if the Chargers release him or are willing to give him up for say, a 4th rounder in next year's draft, I could see us grabbing him.
  6. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

hehe... I can't totally agree, I didn't really know what to name the title so I just went with the obvious.. Just had the questions, which is now answered, why we couldn't offer him a contract..

thanks
  7. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Huh?? i've done this about 500 times.. My understanding is that if the person who wrote it, the entire artcle and the link to it (free by the way not pay per access) that would be okay.. Double checking I noticed at http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=36003 someone did the same thing.. Are you sure?

No offense but I didn't mean to step on any toes.. But how the heck do you quote something? Should I go APA format :)
  8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +860 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

No, you cannot post entire articles because of copyright laws. Quote up to 3-4 paragraphs and provide a link. Rephrase any of the rest in your own words.
  9. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Done but I find that really strange.. First time I've ever run into this issue and I post on about 4 boards with about 1000 posts or close.. Crazy.. But I'm just a travler :)
  10. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks. If I recall correctly Ian got warned about this a couple of years ago and ever since we have all been really careful about it.
  11. p8ryts

p8ryts Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If Groh didn't want Brooks why would the Pats?

Groh kicked him off the UVA team. When he came out of high school he was the top recruit out of Virginia and Maryland area. He's fallen a long way and doesn't sound like someone who could learn to be a Patriot and contribute right away. He also has an injury history.

I'm not in favor of this move.
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -8

Oh what the heck, let's get Al Groh back instead... I kinda liked that shovel routine. Except it just looked sad when they were down by a couple touchdowns and he's just impotently standing on the sidelines digging up divets...

Okay in all seriousness, put me down in the Edwards column. Physical gifts are one thing, but do we want this guy on the team for the couple or three years he takes to "get it?" Because I guarantee you, it's not rocket science, but you don't get to play at ILB for the Pats with a combined 600 on your SATs or a 12 on the Wunderlic. It's great the guy can go 40 yards in 4.5 seconds, and there's nothing here to indicate that the shorter yardage acceleration isn't there - but what if he's moving that big body, faster than a speeding bullet, to stuff a run that's not there, when he's supposed to be pass covering? Just a frinstance. You don't know how he'll pick up a system until you subject him to the Pats' learning curve... personally I say plug in Edwards, let him take some hits from the fans and media for 3 or 4 games, and then watch him morph from Charger to Patriot like Rodney did. I'd rather buy some time than hire a moron.

PFnV
  13. RxJock1120

RxJock1120 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't mind Brooks

Well first of I doubt Brooks will go in the first round of the supplemental draft. More likely is a third, personally I would have no problem using a third round pick on Brooks. He is obviously a project and no way would he play in the Pats complex defense in his first year, he wouldn't even be a full time starter until years three. As Edwards is concerned I think the Pats will definetly be in the running. We have plenty of cap room, I think BB kept it that way exactly to be in this position on June 1st. However I doubt Edwards will play inside, he has been mostly used as an OLB in his career, and BB wants a big body next to Tedy, a la Ted Johnson.
  14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I don't see it happening.....
    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=498
    >>>>Update (02-19-06) Jeremy Root, of The Cavalier Daily, reports Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks failed a drug test within the past two weeks and will not be practicing with the team this spring
    >>>>>Update (03-31-06) The axe has finally fallen on embattled Virginia MLB Ahmad Brooks as he has formally been dismissed from the team for what is being reported as repeated violations of team policy.
    --------------------------------------
  15. R_T26

R_T26 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Everyone knows Miami will get Brooks

A. Saban likes to spend future picks as soon as possible
    B. He has character issues
    C. Saban has no patience and will try to win at all costs.
  16. mcbee

mcbee Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why do they speculate that Brooks is a first round pick in the supplemental? Maybe he's a 4th or 5th or 7th round pick.

Character problems, not smart, injury history, currently on marijuana. Yeah, that's a lock for first round.

There's no room for him on the 53 anyway.
  17. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

As much as I'd like it (on some level), I honestly cannot imagine Belichick bringing Brooks in, even if there was NO compensation.
  18. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Donnie Edwards makes too much sense not to happen. If there was ever a perfect fit, he's it.

It wouldn't shock me to see Brooks go in the first round, especially to a team that figures to be picking at the end of the order. If he were draft eligible after his sophomore year (2004) he almost certainly would have gone in the top 10. And there are a lot who say that Kai Parham's success was largely due to Brooks' presence.

He has character issues, injury issues, and intelligence issues. But there's a lot of teams out there that will roll the dice on the talent. He's a much greater talent than Manuel White or Tony Hollings, both of whom went in the third. I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the first or second. I'm thinking possibly Denver.
  19. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

The Texans actually blew a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings... It's boneheaded moves like this, and the Bush move that contine to mire that team at the basement level. This just serves to prove that the supplemental draft is a huge gamble, especially since you now LOSE the pick that you bid.

Any team that blows a 1st round pick in this year's supplemental draft would be classified as boneheaded in my book. Especially on Brooks, a confirmed pothead ala Rickey Williams. Yeah I'm SURE Miami is real eager to take on another guy that will be suspended from the league within the next 2 years for violating the NFL substance abuse policy.

20. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Brooks was a great high school player, and here in VA, I remember well when UVA reeled him in.

I've watched him a bunch, and have been less than impressed. He doesn't appear to have that nose for the ball. He seemed out of position alot, and not in the mix much, when it came to making the tackle.

Overrated! High School player of the year rep makes him highly sought after.

Also has alot of character issues, obviously!

Doesn't seem like a BB type.

Neither does a 33 year old LB that is 227 LBS. Not in our mold, as far as height/weight. Will his abilities, and the Pats needs overweigh this fact? It might. We'll have to see.