PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Albert Breer meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick makes mistakes. True story.

Also, this is a board that, among other things, is for stating opinions about such things as moves made by the Patriots, and for commenting on opinions regarding the team that are made by others.

don't patronize me.

I just put up an opinion by a writer that makes Breer look like he's 6 years old

how viable was THAT opinion?

all these things you are talking down your nose to me for I just POSTED...that's Borges opinion...I think he was 100% wrong...discuss?...or move on to Breer...I think he's pulling a neo-Borges..what's your opinion so we can have it on record and down the line find out whose "opinion" holds more merit.
Ia gree with you...and jmt57 abpout Breer...he started out REALLY like a promising hard working writer...Reiss before Reiss...and then he went to Dallas and his HEAD ballooned out of control...and you have a whiny smug Borges in the making...VERY disappointing. I can't stand Breer the way he is now..a 6 year old is being too kind..try 3 or 4.... As far as Kindle goes..seems like a knee problem an dthat is why he is falling...

Boston.com is doing a survey on this pick. With over 2,000 responses, over 80% said that the pick was either wrong or that they could've got more.
Of course we at this forum lnoe better right :D

yeah...blah blah blah....critical commentary??????? oh..I get it..likke THIS from Ron Borges...

“On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.”

yeah....you hit that nail right on the head...we need to read more sports hacks analysis

Ha ha, the Borges quote. He did seem like he was channeling Ron.

I remember when Grier picked Canty with Sam Madison on the board. The last time the pundits actually knew more than our FO.

When you pass on all the can't miss players, and all the other coaches do too...maybe they know more than the "expert" talking heads.

Pats apparently didn't want Ordrick, or some of the OLB at that spot, they had ammunition to move around and get both the CB and others if they did.

Obviously, we'll see who they really want tonight, as they can pretty much move around if necessary.

This blows me away! So there have been 32 Picks so far, and not once did any team with those picks say "Oh, wow, we gotta nab this Sergo Kindle!". Yet, the Patriots should have drafted him instead of somebody they clearly had rated higher?

That's exactly how you get screwed in the draft. Well, let's see, I have this CB rated 17th (making this up), and I have this DE who will convert to an OLB rated 35. Let me grab my 35th rated player over my 17th rated player, because it's more of a need.

Do Breer and all these others that say "boo hoo, the Pats didn't get an OLB or a WR", realize that there are 11 players that will go before the Pats pick again (if they hold firm), and there is a ton of talent out there at both these positions still?

Look at it this way. There are alot of high rated players still on the board at postions other than OLB and WR, such as QB Clausen, QB McCoy, OL Safford, OL Brown, S Mays, DT Price, NT Cody, OL Ducasse, DL Houston, OL Campbell and on and on. THERE will be ample opportunity to address needs at OLB, WR, RB, and anywhere else you can think of.

On the defensive side of the ball, Kindle, Dunlap, Griffen, Bowman, Misi, Daryl Washington, Eric Norwood, Worilds, Ricky Sapp, Thad Gibson, and others are still available. There are a boatload of VERY intriquing WRs available. There are some TEs available that we are going to love.

Mr. Breer needs to walk back from the ledge and chill.

Now, if I don't like what the Pats do on day two, I will be the first to rant and rave. However, I love this CB out of Rutgers. VERY dynamic. AWESOME improvement of our teams (this guy blocked kicks, returned kicks, and was even the gunner on Rutgers). Oh, and by the way, he was the second rated CB on many boards.

Somebody may want to tell Mr. Breer that the Dolphins now have Brandon Marshall, and the Jets have Holmes. Explain to him that CB IS a need. No, it's a must if we are to compete.

I'm not thrilled with how things went down last night, but wait a day until you rip them. Things might be O.K. by the end of the night.

I am a bit upset that the Patriots didn't draft Tim Tebow. However, I'll also be withholding judgment until after the 2nd round to see how things shake out. :cool:

well the pick is debatable but he was touting kindle for weeks. and none of 32 have pcked him so far

Maybe there is something to the reports of the microfracture surgery on his knee. might be enough to scare teams off......at least in the first round.

Last edited:
A lot of people here were crying when the Jets signed Cromartie and wondering why the Patriots didn't pick him up. So, the draft rolls around, the Pats pick a DB and a lot of the people here are crying that we drafted him. Seems like there is no winning.

really? where? bring up the lot of people......please show

This blows me away! So there have been 32 Picks so far, and not once did any team with those picks say "Oh, wow, we gotta nab this Sergo Kindle!". Yet, the Patriots should have drafted him instead of somebody they clearly had rated higher?

That's exactly how you get screwed in the draft. Well, let's see, I have this CB rated 17th (making this up), and I have this DE who will convert to an OLB rated 35. Let me grab my 35th rated player over my 17th rated player, because it's more of a need.

Do Breer and all these others that say "boo hoo, the Pats didn't get an OLB or a WR", realize that there are 11 players that will go before the Pats pick again (if they hold firm), and there is a ton of talent out there at both these positions still?

Look at it this way. There are alot of high rated players still on the board at postions other than OLB and WR, such as QB Clausen, QB McCoy, OL Safford, OL Brown, S Mays, DT Price, NT Cody, OL Ducasse, DL Houston, OL Campbell and on and on. THERE will be ample opportunity to address needs at OLB, WR, RB, and anywhere else you can think of.

On the defensive side of the ball, Kindle, Dunlap, Griffen, Bowman, Misi, Daryl Washington, Eric Norwood, Worilds, Ricky Sapp, Thad Gibson, and others are still available. There are a boatload of VERY intriquing WRs available. There are some TEs available that we are going to love.

Mr. Breer needs to walk back from the ledge and chill.

Now, if I don't like what the Pats do on day two, I will be the first to rant and rave. However, I love this CB out of Rutgers. VERY dynamic. AWESOME improvement of our teams (this guy blocked kicks, returned kicks, and was even the gunner on Rutgers). Oh, and by the way, he was the second rated CB on many boards.

Somebody may want to tell Mr. Breer that the Dolphins now have Brandon Marshall, and the Jets have Holmes. Explain to him that CB IS a need. No, it's a must if we are to compete.

I'm not thrilled with how things went down last night, but wait a day until you rip them. Things might be O.K. by the end of the night.

:agree:

10 Characters

I'd love to see that, actually, since I believe that I was told by at least one person on Patsfans.com that I was wrong to even put CB on my list of draft needs at all (or maybe that it was just a very, very, very low priority. Something like that.).
Uh, was that me? Tried to look back through my posts and couldn't see it, but I'm sure I said something like that. Maybe it was to mgteich and not you though.

Can't look at the McCourty pick in isolation. I said a few days ago that we probably get to make 3 need picks and 1 BPA pick. Well, here's the BPA pick. Now we need to get a OLB, a DE and a WR - although the latter is less of a priority since the Holt signing.

If our second round picks end up being a OLB, a DE and a 2011 1st rounder, I would not be complaining.

Judging from the final sentence and from other comments, I guess we can start the "Official 2011 Jerry Hughes Sack Counter" now, because everytime he sacks a QB or disrupts a play for Indy, there will no doubt be a thread on it here. Someone's already predicted 10--15 sacks.

Last edited:

Breer (and a large segment of Patsfans.com) are members of the insulated stale intellectual ***********.

The other great product of this movement is, "Manning is the GOAT".
For weeks, this board (and NFL "analysts") have annointed the "pass rush" as the alpha and omega of football success. Many are distraught here because after weeks of ***********; they find another direction.

1. Sorry guys, nickel and dime packages are the wave of the future. The "spread" offense is the wave of the future. As such, Mr Nickle/Dime better be much better than Mr Third/Fourth WR. It's a pass happy, QB driven league.

2. Just a few years ago, the 2nd and 3rd rounds were "Day One" picks. 2nd round talent this year is really mid-late 1st round talent in most years. We have four picks tonight.

3. Has it occurred to anybody that a superior secondary allows for flexibility to do things like...well.... blitz?

4. Today's superior offenses are better than "blitzing" defenses. SB XLII was a flash in the pan. All one has to do is look at the state of the Giants and how Arizona ran rough shod over Pittsburgh's defense.

Judging from the final sentence and from other comments, I guess we can start the "Official 2011 Jerry Hughes Sack Counter" now, because everytime he sacks a QB or disrupts a play for Indy, there will no doubt be a thread on it here. Someone's already predicted 10--15 sacks.

There's no way he gets that at all, that's just silly

A lot of people here were crying when the Jets signed Cromartie and wondering why the Patriots didn't pick him up. So, the draft rolls around, the Pats pick a DB and a lot of the people here are crying that we drafted him. Seems like there is no winning.

Unless of course those aren't the same people.

I don't think they are.

I think we have significant needs at several positions, and CB isn't one of them. With Bodden, Butler, Springs, Wilhite and Wheatley, you would hope that's enough for now for us to shore up other parts of the team. You could also draft guys lower to develop them and hope you catch lightning in a bottle (there are a lot of really good CBs drafted lower in the NFL, Bodden himself[undrafted] or Cortland Finnegan or a range of others).

Belichick knows his players better than any other and the extreme need at OLB (I'm not really so concerned at DE since I think for us it requires a special kind of player, and Lewis/Wright/Pryor might fill in quite well until that guy is found) is glaring. So, I wonder whether his pick is a commentary on Darius Butler. With Bodden locked up and Butler coming on, you have to feel good. But then McCourty is picked, and all of a sudden I start thinking, OK, who is Belichick questioning? It could be Wilhite and Wheatley, that's fine, but they are backups. It's got to be Butler who is the problem.

And if not, if Butler's just fine, then again the pick reverberates on BB because we could sure use some other players.

I also look at the Bryant pass with interest. I can understand that he's not a good route runner, but the kid is a big body who fights for the ball. Maybe he was crossed off for poor attitude. Who knows? But I'm not sure you're going to find these big body athletic specimens anywhere except the top of the draft. Demaryious Thomas looks to me just like Bryant. Neither are route runners. Was Randy Moss a route runner? In other words, just what is BB looking for at WR? And is that enough?

I am definitely in the "In BB we Trust" camp, but there are positions on the field that would make me question things. Our FA WR pickups have been abysmal all throughout his tenure (other than David Patten). He has picked up guys, and drafted guys, who do not fulfill his criteria, which makes you wonder just what the heck he is looking for. Why pick Chad Jackson but not Dez Bryant? The only difference I see is that one is recommended by his best bud, Urban Meyer. So, there are positions where the Patriots don't seem to have acumen. WR is one.

Again, if Bryant gets crossed out because of attitude, I can understand, and I'm fine with that. I just don't think you will ever find talented WRs (in terms of body and athleticism) who can run a route like Deion Branch. Maybe Larry Fitzgerald coming in, but certainly not Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson or any of the true marvels.

Maybe BB is looking for the next Vincent Jackson. Luckily, one of those who fits the bill is available in round 2: Arrelious Benn.

He's a gamble.

If we end up with Mardy Gilyard in round 3, then all is forgiven.

1. Sorry guys, nickel and dime packages are the wave of the future. The "spread" offense is the wave of the future. As such, Mr Nickle/Dime better be much better than Mr Third/Fourth WR. It's a pass happy, QB driven league.

Right, except we're spreading teams out with Aiken and Stanback. And in a year we won't have Moss. I think it's exactly this emphasis on the spread that made people question turning down a top 10 player like Bryant. We need stud WRs. Other than Arrelious Benn (who has bust written all over him) there is no superior athlete left in the draft. There are a lot of good #2 WR types though.

3. Has it occurred to anybody that a superior secondary allows for flexibility to do things like...well.... blitz?

But with who? I realize we're grabbing some LBs tonight (haha) but right now, we have Woods, Crable and Ninkovich. Is Banta-Cain a 3-down player?

Me, I would have taken Bryant.

It seems to me most Patriots fans are talking about passing on Dez Bryant twice.

Uh, was that me? Tried to look back through my posts and couldn't see it, but I'm sure I said something like that. Maybe it was to mgteich and not you though.

Can't look at the McCourty pick in isolation. I said a few days ago that we probably get to make 3 need picks and 1 BPA pick. Well, here's the BPA pick. Now we need to get a OLB, a DE and a WR - although the latter is less of a priority since the Holt signing.

If our second round picks end up being a OLB, a DE and a 2011 1st rounder, I would not be complaining.

How is WR less of a priority?

Folks, we keep talking about spread offenses coming to dominate this pansy league.

Moss is gone soon and Holt is old.

That gives us Welker and Edelman with Brandon Tate a 4th WR type. However you cut it, this team needs two WRs for the outside in the near future. We need at least one this year.

I'm pretty sure one will be drafted, and I would not be surprised to see 2 of the 5 picks at WR tonight. We could go into the year with 6 WRs and drop 1 when Welker gets back.

Moss
Holt
Edelman
Tate
ROOKIE
ROOKIE

The funny thing is everyone use to praise the Pats for drafting the best player available rather than reaching for need. Now it is just stupidity. Drafting McCorty, whether it is the right or wrong selection (I'm talking in terms of whether the Pats did their homework right and he truly was the best player available), follows the same draft pattern that the Pats used since Belichick got here even in a year like 2003 when they had an awesome draft.

McCorty may end up being a bad pick for the Pats, but Belichick even when most of his draft picks hit always drafted what he determined was the best player available (with a few exceptions at the top of the draft) rather than targeting specific needs. Right or wrong, it is the way he has always drafted.

Last edited:
I am a bit upset that the Patriots didn't draft Tim Tebow. However, I'll also be withholding judgment until after the 2nd round to see how things shake out. :cool:
I'm pretty sure we won't get Tim Tebow in the 2nd round either :)

Hopefully McCorty can be a great cornerback for the Pats. However, CB's always look better when they have to deny their man the ball for 3-5 seconds, not 7-8...

Hopefully we see some pass rush in the 2nd round

Me, I would have taken Bryant.

stater

Don't hold your breath waiting for some front office to call for your opinion and services. let's review your flaws of logic:

Absent a crystal ball or fortune teller; why is Moss gone? Pronouncements?
Ya might want to review the entire history of players posturing for contracts. Start reviewing the "Wilfork Experience".

You do realize we drafted Tate and Edleman? I hope you are not violating HIPA laws with confidential info on Tate's condition. Have you considered that BB might have more info on this?

BB has stated many times that WR's are the toughest to project. Chad Jackson/ Bethel Johnson? Yup, not shocking that twenty plus teams passed on a meathead WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back