PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Albert Breer Hired by Globe to Replace Reiss, Gasper=online columnist, Kilgore=beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Albert Breer Hired by Globe to Replace Reiss

Wow, that's a surprise. Apparently the Globe hasn't thrown in the towel yet. Welcome back Bert!

Things not good with The Sporting News?? Hmmmm I really liked Brier ..and then he went national...and to me he had a bit of an attitude that changed him..made him a bit snotty...now back to local..let's see how he is?? If it's the old style AB..then he will be a real help to the scene...if he's the snotty one....well that I think we can all do without.

I'm thrilled that he's back but this seems like a very long circle to go from the Herald to the Globe.

Power move. Bert Breer is a top talent.

For the Globe maybe, for Breer not so much...

I like Bert. Good move. The Sporting News has lost it luster over the years especially since they charge for most their content online where competitors like SI give it for free. I think it is a step up in Bert's career even if he is going back to the local level.

When The Boston Globe lost Mike Reiss to the new ESPNBoston.com a few weeks ago, it was a huge blow to the football coverage in the paper and especially on Boston.com.

They've hired his replacement:

Globe Fills Reiss Hole By Hiring Albert Breer

He's great at explaining the X's and O's of football and it's good to have him back......especially without his former partner , who shall remain nameless......

Great move. Read Breer for the X's and O's and Reiss for the top notch reporting.

Wow, Bert's back. That's a strange, strange journey: MetroWest Daily News to the Dallas Morning News to Sporting News to the Boston Globe.

Re: Albert Breer Hired by Globe to Replace Reiss, Gasper=online columnist, Kilgore=be

I agree with Rob0729 that the Sporting News isn't as good as it used to be. There was a time that it was a must-read for me but as I recall they had some financial problems a while back and sold the company. I don't see nearly as much quality insight either online or in the magazine as I used to. So perhaps Breer's move is not quite as odd as it seems to be at first glance; it's not inconceivable that he could be making more money with the Globe than he did with SN.

For those that don't recall Breer, his Point After blog was the number one read for Pats fans at the time. Reiss's Pieces didn't become as popular as it was until after Breer left for Dallas.

Great move. Read Breer for the X's and O's and Reiss for the top notch reporting.

i used to love his postgame film breakdown. Even he has access to BB who seems to like him quite a bit like reiss.

Re: Albert Breer Hired by Globe to Replace Reiss, Gasper=online columnist, Kilgore=be

I agree with Rob0729 that the Sporting News isn't as good as it used to be. There was a time that it was a must-read for me but as I recall they had some financial problems a while back and sold the company. I don't see nearly as much quality insight either online or in the magazine as I used to. So perhaps Breer's move is not quite as odd as it seems to be at first glance; it's not inconceivable that he could be making more money with the Globe than he did with SN.

For those that don't recall Breer, his Point After blog was the number one read for Pats fans at the time. Reiss's Pieces didn't become as popular as it was until after Breer left for Dallas.
Maybe for some that was the case.. speak for yourself...Brier was really good back then..a lot better than he's been in the past many many months..I HOPE he does go back to that level..for his act in my opinion has gone way down hill as soon as he's gone national.

Yeah! I love Bert Breer! Was so bummed when he went to Dallas, then never really got into reading the Sporting News.

Can't take a Sudbury boy outa Sudbury

If "online" is the future (even though few media outlets have figured out how to make money at it yet) then it's probably a good move for Breer in the sense that the Sporting News website is utterly horrendous in every way. The Globe's layout of their site is actually quite good, but since Reiss left they've had trouble with content. Gaspar is horrible and they hadn't even updated their mailback since Ress left. It was a real mess content wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes