Welcome to PatsFans.com

Alaska moves to repair image

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/02/12/alaska_moves_to_repair_image/

"It's known as The Last Frontier. But lately, Alaska is worried the rest of America sees it as the Freeloading Frontier.

"Governor Frank Murkowski says it is time for an image makeover. He wants the state to hire a public relations firm to change the perception of Alaska and its people as greedy for federal dollars and all too willing to plunder the environment for profit.

"Alaska suffered another setback a few months ago during the furor over $450 million Congress appropriated for two ''Bridges to Nowhere" that became symbols of wasteful spending. Late-night comics mocked Alaska, and a columnist at the Washington Post jokingly recommended the United States sell Alaska back to Russia.

"In reaction, Murkowski announced during his State of the State Address in January a plan to counter misperceptions about Alaska. 'Alaska does not just take. We give, and we have the capacity to give much, much more -- if permitted to do so,' he said.

"Alaska is one of the top recipients of federal largesse. In 2003, the latest year for which figures are available, Alaska received $1.89 in federal spending for every $1 the state paid in taxes to Washington, according to the Tax Foundation.

"At the same time, Alaska residents pay no state income tax, and only a few cities have a sales tax."

It's sure no surprise that a Republican stronghold would just take, take, take, and then hire a PR firm rather than look in the mirror. It affirms my belief that Republicans more than Democrats are self-serving opportunists.

2. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's about time the Democratic states secede and stop supporting these pathetic WELFARE Republican states.

3. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +116 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

JOHN ROCKER WAS RIGHT!

NYC the cesspool of America.

How about you and the rest of your aids infected democratic states go f- themselves, oh thats right they do.

3 biggest states for welfare recipients California, New York and Pennsylvania all democrat states, IDIOT

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

I'm not sure what PFIEL's post has to do with the fact that Alaska gets more federal aid than any other state. Personally, I think help for poor kids is better than building a bridge to nowhere. Also, if PFIEL thinks NYC is the cesspool of America, he must mean it's a step up from where he lives. Certainly, I can imagine that living in a home with such an angry, rude person as PFIEL would make a cesspool seem like a relatively attractive place.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Look at the money Virginia has spent on naming bridges, tunnels, parks, building roads and erecting statues all over the state and putting busts of a cross burning ex KKK leader in city halls all over the state, The Grand Wizard Of The Ku Klux Klan, Sen Robert Byrd (D).

He still has his sheets in the closet.

I wonder how many little Black Kids that drooling old Rat has scared the sh!t out of in his day when he was burning a cross on their lawn, I wonder how many "Lamp Post Hangings" he's been to.

Alaska is paradise compared to a Liberal Hell Hole like Massachusetts has become.
    I have never looked into it, but I wonder how Alaska handles the "Pedophiles"?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  6. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +860 / 22 / -33

#15 Jersey

Apparently you're the idiot. You live in Pennsylvania, right? Arlen Spector, who happens to be a Republican I like, would renounce your stupidity. Get a clue, moron.

7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

John Rocker told it like it was and was crucified for doing so. Riding some of those NYC subway lines is like being in a ZOO full of Freaks.

8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,492 / 22 / -15

Disable Jersey

For those of you sincerely interested in combating Pork (and not just scoring partisan debating points, as I as a skeptic suspect) here's a site dedicated to pork busting. Note the list (incomplete) of pork by state.

http://truthlaidbear.com/porkbusters/porkbystate.php

9. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +860 / 22 / -33

#15 Jersey

Yeah, I'd rather be stuck on a subway with you, because you're not a freak. Please.

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

My hair is Red not Green :bricks:

11. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +860 / 22 / -33

#15 Jersey

You're still a freak.

12. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,492 / 22 / -15

Disable Jersey

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  13. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +860 / 22 / -33

#15 Jersey

Most of those Senators are Replican. Thanks for confirming what I beleive.