PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Greenberg - AWFUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhamz

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
More substandard Patriots coverage. Is it so hard for papers to find people who will actually follow the team to cover the team?

"With Tedy Bruschi (who turns 32 in June) considering retirement, and Mike Vrabel turning 32 in August, the team could use an infusion of youth at linebacker. Many were saying that a year ago, but the Patriots bypassed Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter, Iowa's Chad Greenway and Alabama's DeMeco Ryans in the draft."

http://www.courant.com/sports/footb...25,0,4437252.story?coll=hc-headlines-patriots

He should know it simply because it is his job but even if he doesn't, it would take him 10 seconds to google and figure out that Carpenter and Greenway were picked prior to the Pats pick in the draft and they did not pass on them. They did pass on Ryans who isn't a 3-4 LB - not that Greenberg would know the difference.

Even if they had traded up to draft those guys, they'd be complaining because the didn't play or contribute. It's not easy to be a linebacker in BB's system. It takes years to really understand it, even those with experience (Chad Brown, Monty Besiel, Junior Seau) can struggle. I agree it's an area we need to have more depth at but let's not pretend it we can do it overnight.

Nobody was bringing up Ryans last year for the Pats. The name they were all harping on was Manny Lawson and he was being tagged as the next Merriman. I remember most of the local media loved this guy and thought the Pats should have passed on Maroney and taken him, SF did the next pick. He had a decent rookie year but he wasn't an impact player by any means.

When will someone tell Greenberg that Carpenter couldn't even get on the field in a similar defense.

They draft young defensive linemen, but always bring in younger veterans (if they can) at the linebacker position. I'm sure there's a reason, with the likely one being that experienced players probably understand the system quicker and can contribute sooner. Whenever they've drafted linebackers it always seems to be in the later rounds.

It's funny, the last guy that they took in the first round I believe was Andy Katzenmoyer. He was actually very good in pass coverage, and decent against the run (he became a starter I believe one of the year's that Ted Johnson tore a bicep). It's too bad he had that neck injury, he seemed like he would have been a decent player. But since then they haven't used an early pick on that position. I'm guessing that won't change this year either.

Ian

More substandard Patriots coverage. Is it so hard for papers to find people who will actually follow the team to cover the team?

"With Tedy Bruschi (who turns 32 in June) considering retirement, and Mike Vrabel turning 32 in August, the team could use an infusion of youth at linebacker. Many were saying that a year ago, but the Patriots bypassed Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter, Iowa's Chad Greenway and Alabama's DeMeco Ryans in the draft."

http://www.courant.com/sports/footb...25,0,4437252.story?coll=hc-headlines-patriots

He should know it simply because it is his job but even if he doesn't, it would take him 10 seconds to google and figure out that Carpenter and Greenway were picked prior to the Pats pick in the draft and they did not pass on them. They did pass on Ryans who isn't a 3-4 LB - not that Greenberg would know the difference.

Bruschi turns 34 in June.

Nobody was bringing up Ryans last year for the Pats. The name they were all harping on was Manny Lawson and he was being tagged as the next Merriman. I remember most of the local media loved this guy and thought the Pats should have passed on Maroney and taken him, SF did the next pick. He had a decent rookie year but he wasn't an impact player by any means.

True. When our pick came up I was sure we were taking Lawson, I was happy with the Maroney pick though albeit shocked to no end.

They draft young defensive linemen, but always bring in younger veterans (if they can) at the linebacker position. I'm sure there's a reason, with the likely one being that experienced players probably understand the system quicker and can contribute sooner. Whenever they've drafted linebackers it always seems to be in the later rounds.

It's funny, the last guy that they took in the first round I believe was Andy Katzenmoyer. He was actually very good in pass coverage, and decent against the run (he became a starter I believe one of the year's that Ted Johnson tore a bicep). It's too bad he had that neck injury, he seemed like he would have been a decent player. But since then they haven't used an early pick on that position. I'm guessing that won't change this year either.

Ian

Actually, all their starters were drafted in the Parcells era, or picked up from other teams. All besides TJ and Phifer were DE converts.

The only DE convert in the Belichick era has been 7th rounder TBC.

A couple LB were selected low and failed.

With the age of our starters, I predict the Patriots will draft some DE/OLB or actual LBs because adding only mature vets just won't take care of the problem.

It could happen. Wasn't too long ago they didn't draft OL or RB in the first round.

Actually, all their starters were drafted in the Parcells era, or picked up from other teams. All besides TJ and Phifer were DE converts.

The only DE convert in the Belichick era has been 7th rounder TBC.

A couple LB were selected low and failed.

With the age of our starters, I predict the Patriots will draft some DE/OLB or actual LBs because adding only mature vets just won't take care of the problem.

It could happen. Wasn't too long ago they didn't draft OL or RB in the first round.

I just meant that they hadn't drafted any since Belichick got here. He seems to be more comfortable with veterans at that position, as it's not a position that they've really drafted for with early round picks. It's funny how DL's and TE's seem to be an area they'll draft high for, but not at linebacker. Very odd. As long as I don't see yet another tight end taken in the first round this year I think I'll be fine :cool:

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye