PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Branch and JaMarcus Russell - Too fat to play in this league at thier position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know if I would want a QB who is 290lbs or draft a DE who is 340lbs if I were drafting at or near the top.

I know these guys can lose weight but you wonder if it will happen during camp or will they have a weight problem all career.

No way in the fast paced NFL world will a QB be playing good consistently at near 300lbs which is what Russell may weight right now - He will get sacked more often than not and although he is very strong and can throw a 80 yarder for what I hear,I don't think he will be able to move quick enough to get out of harms way,May be a HUGE gamble for the Raiders or whomever drafts him - If I were the Raiders just before draft day I would get a weight on Russell and if he is over 275 by then I think Quinn would get the #1 first picked spot at QB.

As far as Branch goes I know there are many 325+ big linemen guys out there but at a near 340lbs makes you think if its is going to be a problem with speed and agility in the NFL and can he 'slim' down to maybe 320 by September?

Those 2 guys may be the riskiest guys to draft on round one,Glad we won't be one of those teams that needs either or that might make for a tough decision.

They both have talent,Now weight to me is a concern there.

Re: Alan Branch and JaMarcus Russell - Too fat to play in this league at thier posit

russel ran a 4.80 in his 40....at 6'5", 260 pounds...fat doesnt seem to matter...

Re: Alan Branch and JaMarcus Russell - Too fat to play in this league at thier posit

russell looks like he can handel has weight pretty good and as for branch when it comes to d line men the biger the better

I would not draft russell in any of the rounds in the draft. its all hype about him and the worst thing is is that he believes it now. When you show up to your NFL interview (the combine) 10lbs over weight i think that shows a lack of character, when he gets paid next year I can see him going back to 300lbs or more and just being to slow.

And this whole thing about being able to throw the ball 80 yards............. who cares. I don't want a quarter back who can throw the ball I want a QB who can move the chains, make smart decision, read coverage, someone who will look down field and see who is open and who isn't.

If oakland are going to use there first pick on a QB which I don't think they should, the should take Quinn

"Keep your body low and legs moving"

Branch is 325 and ran in low 5s..thats pretty good. Hes fine

I too think Quinn is a better QB but I wouldn't take either one of those guys at 1. Personally I would grab Calvin Johnson first and then grab a Kolb,Smith or Stanton later.

Ideally they should throw us their 2nd for Matt Cassel. He's somewhat seasoned as a backup and has alot of work behind Brady.

Branch is on my list of trade up guys. Him, Carriker, Landry, Revis, Hall are guys who, if they're there at around 15, I'll figure we're trying to trade up at that point.

I don't know if I would want a QB who is 290lbs or draft a DE who is 340lbs if I were drafting at or near the top.

I know these guys can lose weight but you wonder if it will happen during camp or will they have a weight problem all career.

No way in the fast paced NFL world will a QB be playing good consistently at near 300lbs which is what Russell may weight right now - He will get sacked more often than not and although he is very strong and can throw a 80 yarder for what I hear,I don't think he will be able to move quick enough to get out of harms way,May be a HUGE gamble for the Raiders or whomever drafts him - If I were the Raiders just before draft day I would get a weight on Russell and if he is over 275 by then I think Quinn would get the #1 first picked spot at QB.

As far as Branch goes I know there are many 325+ big linemen guys out there but at a near 340lbs makes you think if its is going to be a problem with speed and agility in the NFL and can he 'slim' down to maybe 320 by September?

Those 2 guys may be the riskiest guys to draft on round one,Glad we won't be one of those teams that needs either or that might make for a tough decision.

They both have talent,Now weight to me is a concern there.

Where are you getting these weights? Russell is 265 lbs.

Also, As others pointed out, Branch is a DT, not a DE, and he weighed in at 325. Even if he was 340, as a NT, that is fine.

Everyone knows he was over weight at the combine and I am not sure which report had the 300lbs on it, but it is true

Last edited:

Russell was 265 at the combine, well done. He was just Under 300 at his pro day.

256 at Pro Day

265 at Combine

Branch is a very safe pick provided his shins don't have stress fractures, as has been rumored.

256 at Pro Day

265 at Combine
Sucks for the guy who keeps saying 300 pounds with nothing to back it up except words doesn't it.

I have heard that Jamarcus playing weight was around 280+. When people thought he showed up "overweight" at the combine, he actually had done alot of work to get down to 265, and then did more to get into the 250's for his proday. Poor guy has lost 25+ lbs preparing for the draft.

his playing weight was 240-250 actually

Scott Wright says it's shin splints, not stress fractures :

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=324581&postcount=1

Good news, if true. There have been conflicting reports. I like Branch and think his game has been unfairly criticized. I suspect Mangina is behind it, trying to get his future "Wilfork" to drop within range of a #1 and #2 trade up. If that happens it will be a bitter-sweet draft party for me, and Pats fans will rue the day.

his playing weight was 240-250 actually

That was his listed weight, not his actual weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes