PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alabama Virginia Tech Last Night

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I focused a lot on Mount Cody. He has lost a good bit of weight and now appears to be in the 370 lb. range instead of the plus 400 lbs he carried last year. Last night Cody owed the A gaps for most of the game and Virginai Tech did little if any running in either A gap unless it was the QB or a delayed draw/screen.
The bottom line was Cody manhandled the interior of the Virginia Tech O-Line and took away a piece of the Virginia Tech play book with his pressence alone. He looks stronger and a bit quicker this year. If he stays healthy he won`t make it past the first half of the first round.

My other Alabama first round draft pick hope McClain had an active night and except for one play had an outstanding night. I am not sure why he lost his head down near the goal line and got those two personal fouls. McClain is really good in coverage and was very stout against the run. He is an above average stack and shedder. He is perfect at ILB in our defense.

MIke Johnson the 6'6" OG for Alabama really struggled early with the super fast and smaller Virginia Tech defenders, but by the second half after the Virginia Tech defense got tired, he started to manhandle them.

I also have been keeping an eye on SEC matches for my next wet-dream Pats draft hopefuls. McClain's on my shortlist, although I didn't even consider Cody. Alabama's defense looked instinctive and fierce. VaTech hasn't lit the lamp on an elite level since the Vick Era, it doesn't seem, but the Tide did a great job, especially McClain. I hope his little meltdown at the end of the first half that helped VaTech score is just an outlier, though. I wish I had more to say but I was pretty pooped when I watched the game on replay.

I can't wait to read more speculation about who in this upcoming draft class the front office has had their sights set on since 2004, due to the almighty Belichick's clairvoyance.

Mclain did look good. He was cut low a couple of times and taken out of the play but otherwise, besides the double penalty, was the real deal. He's faster than I remember. He can cover down the field really well and he's very agile. I now hope he stays for his senior season, along with all the other top 10 junior prospects.

The kid Worilds is pretty good himself. Reminds me of Derrick Burgess. Not that great vs the run.

I though McClain and Hightower looked good, and so did the bama RB.

I though McClain and Hightower looked good, and so did the bama RB.

Hightower I thought looked like a beast in waiting, 6'4" 260 with a 4.6 40 he is in line for "binky" status for the 2011 draft, he is a sophmore. The Pats did well plucking Saban defensive players form LSU, I can only assume that the trend will continue with Alabama players. This guy would make a great ILB!

Last edited:
Alabama has a safety Woodall that has the potential to grow into an enforcer, ie: Harrison. I wonder if BB might not take a late round flier on him.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back