PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alabama LB Dont'a Hightower

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
6'4 260. Assuming he comes out, which I think he will, and he falls to us in the late 20's would you draft him even though ILB isn't our biggest need?

I think he has that rare combination of speed, size, athletic ability and instincts. The middle of our defense is a very underrated need. You look at what the Steelers did underneath with Miller and you wonder why more teams don't do that because it's nearly always there.

I believe they'll go back to a base 3-4 next year and he could play strong or weak side. I believe he's more instinctive than Mayo and sheds blocking better. A major upgrade over the rest of the rotation at that position by far including Spikes who's fine as a run stopped or blitzing but not a cover guy.

I don't believe there will be a DE\OLB in that range available who warrants a first round pick. There are enough receivers and safeties available in the second round to fill out those positions. I wouldn't mind if they went after Barron and especially Lester for the safety position.

have you seen Hightower in coverage? I don't see him as a fit anywhere for our Defense except Sam in a 43 but even then he isn't a 3 down backer. Nico Johnson and CJ Moseley are the linebackers that Bama uses to matchup on 3rd down IIRC. Hightower does what Spikes does with a little more speed and better instincts.

have you seen Hightower in coverage? I don't see him as a fit anywhere for our Defense except Sam in a 43 but even then he isn't a 3 down backer. Nico Johnson and CJ Moseley are the linebackers that Bama uses to matchup on 3rd down IIRC. Hightower does what Spikes does with a little more speed and better instincts.

In my mind, if Kuechly is off the board when we pick, then Hightower is the pick. Hightower and Keuchly are both 4.7 guys (just guessing, no actual numbers known yet) with excellent instincts and sure tacklers. Hightower is now two years removed from major knee surgery and moving much better this year than last year.

Most important: Both Kuelchy and Hightower are play makers. And this defense desperately needs palymakers.

My top three ILB to play on the side on Mayo in the 3-4 are:

Kuelchy of BC
Hightower of Alabama
Cole of NC State

All have excellent instincts, sure tacklers and smart enough to play some in the base defense as rookies.

Kuelchy of BC
Hightower of Alabama
Cole of NC State

All have excellent instincts, sure tacklers and smart enough to play some in the base defense as rookies.

Agreed, I just don't think Kuelchy is there when we pick. If we pass on Hightower the Ravens, Steelers or Packers are going to take him.

In my mind, if Kuechly is off the board when we pick, then Hightower is the pick. Hightower and Keuchly are both 4.7 guys (just guessing, no actual numbers known yet) with excellent instincts and sure tacklers. Hightower is now two years removed from major knee surgery and moving much better this year than last year.

Most important: Both Kuelchy and Hightower are play makers. And this defense desperately needs palymakers.

Kuelchy of BC
Hightower of Alabama
Cole of NC State

I agree but do you really think that a first round ILB is of need with the way spikes is playing? Its one thing to sugest that we need a Sam in the 43 but we used a second round pick on Spikes and he's payed divedens so far as a 2 down linebacker. A mid round linebacker with good speed and coverage ability would suffice.

I agree but do you really think that a first round ILB is of need with the way spikes is playing? Its one thing to sugest that we need a Sam in the 43 but we used a second round pick on Spikes and he's payed divedens so far as a 2 down linebacker. A mid round linebacker with good speed and coverage ability would suffice.

Ideally I would like to line up a LB next to Mayo that can play in either the 3-4 or the 4-3 and is a 3 down LBer. It allows BB to morph his defense without the necessity of having to substitute. Which in theory should make it tougher on the opposing offense.

It doesn't mean that Spikes won't get snaps, it just means that Spikes gets snaps predicated on down and distance that fit his abilities a little better.

The front seven on our defense needs more play makers. We need a playmaker at DE, OLB and ILB.

3-4 or 4-3 ILB/MLB Kuehly is a tremendous playmaker. Choice A
3-4 or 4-3 ILB/OLB Hightower is a decent playmaker. Choice B

3-4 or 4-3 OLB/DE Upshaw is a tremendous playmaker.Choice A
3-4 or 4-3 OLB/DE Montgomery of LSU is a tremendous playmaker. Choice B (Needs more sand in the pants to play the 3-4, but I don;t see that as a big problem.)
3-4 or 4-3 OLB/DE Curry of Marshall is a decent playmaker. Choice C

3-4 or 4-3 DE/DT Fletcher Cox of Miss State is a decent playmaker. Choice A
3-4 or 4-3 DE/DT Crick of Nebraska is a decent playmaker, when healthy. Choice B

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, a very vague reference to "off-field baggage". Does anyone know any specifics, or even better, a link to the relevant info? I don't mean to be starting any rumors. I may be totally off base on this.

Hightower is definitely one of my favorite guys in this draft, and Spikes said some pretty strange and ominous stuff on twitter last summer. Hightower would be a great contingency plan at ILB next to Mayo in the 3-4 and a solid 4-3 OLB in my opinion.

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, a very vague reference to "off-field baggage". Does anyone know any specifics, or even better, a link to the relevant info? I don't mean to be starting any rumors. I may be totally off base on this.

Hightower is definitely one of my favorite guys in this draft, and Spikes said some pretty strange and ominous stuff on twitter last summer. Hightower would be a great contingency plan at ILB next to Mayo in the 3-4 and a solid 4-3 OLB in my opinion.

Maybe you mean Barron, who tried to help a cousin out with a traffic violation by lying to the cops.

Great post here.

Cannot see them taking DH unless Spikes gets traded (not going to happen) or unless they break DH in slowly with the idea that BS is not re-signed when the time comes AND/OR Bill plays BS and DH inside together with Mayo outside.

More likely (and I like him better, won't go as high) - Nick Perry for OLB. Jake Bequette as a lower round big DE/OLB hybrid. Okafor and JSmith are 2 other (RD4-5) options of bigger OLBs for the 3-4, and Keenan Robinson is my sleeper for a guy who can cover at that OLB spot. (Not much pass rush).

I really see them trading down with BOTH picks to get more picks - especially at least 1 more first rounder in next year's draft (2013) and/or more lower round picks in 2012. They have none in RDS 5-6-7.

Only see 1 guy they might take in RD1 - P.Konz the center out of Wisconsin, although I like Ben Jones (an SEC OL is a beast) more. Konz may slide but Pats would not let him IMO.

Great post here.

Cannot see them taking DH unless Spikes gets traded (not going to happen) or unless they break DH in slowly with the idea that BS is not re-signed when the time comes AND/OR Bill plays BS and DH inside together with Mayo outside.

More likely (and I like him better, won't go as high) - Nick Perry for OLB. Jake Bequette as a lower round big DE/OLB hybrid. Okafor and JSmith are 2 other (RD4-5) options of bigger OLBs for the 3-4, and Keenan Robinson is my sleeper for a guy who can cover at that OLB spot. (Not much pass rush).

I really see them trading down with BOTH picks to get more picks - especially at least 1 more first rounder in next year's draft (2013) and/or more lower round picks in 2012. They have none in RDS 5-6-7.

Only see 1 guy they might take in RD1 - P.Konz the center out of Wisconsin, although I like Ben Jones (an SEC OL is a beast) more. Konz may slide but Pats would not let him IMO.

Jones struggles to create push at the snap of the ball and he got absolutlely mauled in the SEC championship game.

I don't think Konz had the kind of year that he had last season. I think his best option is to return to school for his senior season.

Jones struggles to create push at the snap of the ball and he got absolutlely mauled in the SEC championship game.

I don't think Konz had the kind of year that he had last season. I think his best option is to return to school for his senior season.

What do you think of Sam Montgomery - de - LSU? He's a redshirt soph. and rumored to be coming out. I've seen him listed at 6'4" 260lb. I don't think LSU asks him to drop into coverage. So, I'm guessing he's a 4-3 de.

Kuelchy of BC
Hightower of Alabama
Cole of NC State

Good call back in December Ochmed!

Saban on Dont'a Hightower

Dont'a was my favorite Saban-coached prospect for the Pats, and like most here, I didn't think he'd slide to our two picks. And he didn't -- BB went up and got him. From my notes, I saved this quote from Saban about Hightower, so folks would get an idea how BB may use him -- if we were fortunate enough to get him:

From Nick Saban:

He can play inside or outside backer, he can play mike or will inside. He’s played them both here. He can play outside, he’s been a designated pass rusher on 3 downs for us. He’s also been a stand-up fourth rusher when they put all the linebackers in there. He can play any one of those positions.

He’s a smart guy, he’s a signal caller that has really good leadership qualities and understands football extremely well and has a lot of diversity in terms of how you can use him. When you’ve got guys that size, that speed and that athletic who can do so many things, those guys don’t come around very often.

Re: Saban on Dont'a Hightower

Dont'a was my favorite Saban-coached prospect for the Pats, and like most here, I didn't think he'd slide to our two picks. And he didn't -- BB went up and got him. From my notes, I saved this quote from Saban about Hightower, so folks would get an idea how BB may use him -- if we were fortunate enough to get him:

From Nick Saban:
:D:D:D:D

Hightower was the one guy I really wanted in this draft and thought we had a chance to get him. It's taken us seven long years to assemble a LB corp worthy of the BB stamp but at his point in the season, I am SO psyched!

Thank you BB x1000!

Is cunningham the odd man out????

Ninko and Fletcher just depth now???

3-4 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes