Welcome to PatsFans.com

al-Sadr threatens new uprising

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Apr 20, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Whoops there goes the neighborhood. And it was going so well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080420/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

Anti-American Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr gave a "final warning" to the government Saturday to halt a U.S.-Iraqi crackdown against his followers or he would declare "open war until liberation."

A full-blown uprising by al-Sadr, who led two rebellions against U.S.-led forces in 2004, could lead to a dramatic increase in violence in Iraq at a time when the Sunni extremist group al-Qaida in Iraq appears poised for new attacks after suffering severe blows last year.

Al-Sadr's warning appeared on his Web site as Iraq's Shiite-dominated government claimed success in a new push against Shiite militants in the southern city of Basra. Fighting claimed 14 more lives in Sadr City, the Baghdad stronghold of al-Sadr's Mahdi Army.

Fighting in Sadr City and the crackdown in Basra are part of a government campaign against followers of al-Sadr and Iranian-backed Shiite splinter groups that the U.S. has identified as the gravest threat to a democratic Iraq.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, also a Shiite, has ordered al-Sadr to disband the Mahdi Army, Iraq's biggest Shiite militia, or face a ban from politics.

In the statement, al-Sadr lashed back, accusing the government of selling out to the Americans and branding his followers as criminals.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Obviously this is false information. After all the surge is working.

More lies from al- Sadr.

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He can say whatever he wants. Just like the captain of the Titanic eating a chicken leg as the water rose past his nose.

I could issue a press release tomorrow to the effect that I'd purchased the New England Patriots and was firing everyone from Pioli to Brady.

Doesn't make it true.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,065 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Sadr needs to be captured and be given a hood over his head to replace that nasty towel. Then a good waterboarding session before lopping off his dome which should be hung from a pole for all to see.

5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +150 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'd never advocate violence,no not me.:rolleyes:
    But my avatar tells me Sadr needed a good bullet in the head about three years ago.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

You can't go around knocking off local leaders if what you're trying to promote, is self governence, and political freedom. As much as I'd love to have seen Sadr disposed of a long time ago, there is/were risks involved in doing so. At any rate, militia's are forbidden by the constitution, and what's going on now is a whizzing contest between the old way, armed tribes wanting to exert power, versus the new way, which is a stronger centralized government. Which way Sadr goes, and how the tussle, if there is one, ends up, will be critical in shaping Iraq's future. Sadr has to know that if he stands up against the govt (US), that he will not be spared this time. He will get paid, or will die trying, as 50 cent would say.

7. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why not? Make an example of him and his top advisers, and there you go...remove an obstacle and instill a little fear/respect.

8. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One thing that most American Republican warmongers don't understand is that in the Arab/Muslim world, you can never take out the man at the top and expect that they will then just collapse their tents and fold over. They do not fear death.

Just think how many times we have read something like this, "US captures/Kills Number two man in Al Quada in Bumfuk, Egypt.

for every number one, or two, or three man that we take out, there are three times as many ready to move up the ladder and replace him.

That is why there has never been a case throughout all of history of an infidel invading force ever emerging victorious in the Arab world. It just is not going to happen, and the longer we remain there, the stronger they will get.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,065 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Yeah NEM :nono:... the stronger the media will make them appear is what you mean. Wow ... a new poster comes here who is anti-republican, throws out the term facist, hates the rich and powerfull, posts mostly in the political forum ... changes their paragraph style but forgot to change their method of phrasing, reminds us that Muslims don't change. Gee - I should call you a troop hating racist and you can't get mad about it or you'll blow your cover. ... :rofl: what school you went???:nono:

10. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Nothing but an anti-American tool.

11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,065 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Sounds like NEM to me ... I mean this is the same man who hates the government for what they did to him ... right NEM ... too bad he was banished before fessing up to his anti-America rage. It's sad that I'm the only one here who knows the truth ... maybe Ellis will fess up and have a complete washing of the soul.

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Look everyone!! It's the "civilized" poster who "find himself called stupid," and never insults anyone.

Liar and hypocrite strikes again. Rinse, repeat.

13. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Condoleeza Rice added more fuel to the fire today when she publicly called Sadr a coward.

You can rest assured that Sadr and his army will in all probability retaliate against Americans in Iraq for that comment.

Much like when Bush said "Bring it on."

14. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Is that a breeze, or did someone fart?

[​IMG]

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Cuz you can't. Remember, you're trying to implement, promote, and encourage a peaceful, independent, free state. If you simply knock off anyone that publically criticizes the freedom you're trying to create, you're no better than that which you replaced. Yours was an argument that many Iraqi's had/have since the overthrow. Their point was that Iraqi's (and the ME) only know fear. That you have to be rough & ruthless to get people to obey you. The problem in doing that, is that you're not really changing the ideology that way, which is what the whole point is to beging with.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Now it's 3 times as many? In another thread it was 2 wasn't it?

Of course, those infidel invaders weren't trying to build a free society, lead by the locals. They were all there to conquer lands, and create a slave state.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Doesn't write in caps, or scream with emotion, like NEM does. I don't think it's NEM.

18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +150 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

We had a chance to get this guy 3-4 years ago,an we didn't pull the trigger so to speak. He's been trouble ever since. What I posted before is we should have taken care of him before he gaind as much support as he has. Al Sader wasn't hob-knobing with the Iranians in 2003. It was his father,his dead father who was revered.

19. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

New guy from NM joins a Pats board and essentially only posts in the political forum, and only anti-bush stuff, where the first few posts he makes he calls GWB a fascist etc?

I think it's NEM.

That he hasn't corrected me or asked "who's NEM" when I've called him NEM.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Slippery slope flex. I know exactly what you're talking about because I was thinking the same thing. Take him out. He used to, and I think still does, publish a propoganda paper. I think they tried to shut his paper down and couple of times, and people took notice of how that wasn't jiving with what were preaching. I think they took a few shots at him over the years. They Jdam'd a convoy they thought he might be in, and denied he was the target, and also bombed a building they thought he was meeting in, and said it was an insurgent safehouse. It's not an easy spot. It's hard to know where the future is going to find itself, and hindsight might make you think twice about not remving him in 2003ish. Maybe they should've, but you can see why they didn't. If they do it now, they will be justified, and would be doing so through Iraqi forces, and leadership. His removal could/would show that the Iraqi govt is not to be F'd with. It could create chaos too. We just don't know for sure. The one thing we do know, is that Sadr controls his own destiny. He can fight & die, or can work with the government and live.