Welcome to PatsFans.com

Al CIAda????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 28, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

There are those who criticize the NYT, but this story is pretty revealing.. get the hell out of there.. let them figure it out..

Another argument against the bogus, feel warm and fuzzy, but very expensive lie by the government regarding its "War on Drugs"... it is all lies, one administration morphs into the next, prepetuating the lies of the previous... laying groundwork for the next.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/world/asia/28intel.html?hp

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So true. No matter who we elect, the system has been rigged. We need a bad-azz head banger who can somehow tell the CIA to get fugged and keep alive at the same time.

This is the reason why Obama is even considering putting more troops into Afgh. He's afraid for his life if he does what needs to be done with the military.

3. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

U.S. Continues Quagmire-Building Effort In Afghanistan

"We've spent a lot of time and money fostering the turmoil and despair necessary to make this a sustaining quagmire, and we're not going to stop now," President Barack Obama said in a national address Monday night. "It won't be easy, but with enough tactical errors on the ground, shortsighted political strategies, and continued ignorance of our vast cultural differences, we could have a horrific, full-fledged quagmire by 2012."

Added Obama, "Together, we can make Afghanistan into a nightmarish hell-scape Americans will regret for generations to come."

The U.S. plan to build a lasting quagmire in Afghanistan calls for the loss of at least 5,000 coalition troops, nearly 1,500 of whom have already been killed, and a wasted investment of nearly $1 trillion, a quarter of which has thus far been spent.

U.S. Continues Quagmire-Building Effort In Afghanistan | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Life imitates art.... :D:)

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

curious... is there anyone out there that still doubts the U.S. corporate government doesn't deal in drug cultivation and production out of that region?

if drug trade ended tomorrow, many of our biggest banks would fail about a week later... and no bailout would be able to save them.

It is amusing, however, listening to chicken hawks voice outrage regarding Taliban drug trade, while in complete denial of the CIA's role in the same.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I remember when the LA Times ran a story about how the CIA was running coke and crack out of S America back in the 80's. Everyone thought it was African-American / conspiracy theorists lunacy. "How could our own government be involved in this??!!"

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Have contended time and time again that drug usage in this country if functional on many levels... the war of drugs, is a feel good, warm and fuzzy thing with little or no meaning.. but lots of money spent.

If you get a chance watch Frontline's, "Obama's War" it pretty telling about the Afghanistan sitz, shows marines walking through Helmund province... past piles of poppies... they cannot destroy, only watch... maybe our strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan is to intercept the heroin and then flood Kabul and Islamibad with tons of cheap heroin, turn them into addicts.. just desserts.

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Not only was Nancy and Ron's "war on drugs" hollow, but rogue elements of the administration were actually peddling drugs into the U.S. for off-the-books profit to "fight the commies".....

It's not that they tried and failed to stamp out drugs. It's that it was a willful effort to do the complete opposite!!!! And it continued thru every administration thereafter.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

One program that comes to mind is DARE, a real visible, warm and fuzzy program, run by local police...longitudinal studies have shown it to be completely inneffective, but it continues to be funded...

This country has wasted billions on similar efforts, with no tangible results.. and the Marines in Helmund Province walk by poppies they cannot destroy, because we want to win the hearts and minds of the people in this province... WTF.....

10. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Thank you.

For as long as I've dabbled in this forum I've been pointing out that particular 800lb gorilla in the room known as The Drug Trade, and other than me you're probably the only one here who seems to understand it's importance. As I just recently sarcastically pointed out just the other day regarding Afganistan, harvest season begins in November.

I think it's gone far beyond the CIA however (and unfortunately); our entire economy is, in large part, propped up by it. Anybody who doesn't believe that billions of dollars in nothing but profit is somehow going to magically end, that the people who have reaped not only profits but power have ever stopped doing so just because Reagan's out of office?

The drug "war" itself has generated unimaginable profits just from America's private prison industry alone. Our country boasts the #1 prison industry in the world and most of the inmates are there on drug-related activity.

Illegal drugs are what fuels gangs and anyone who doubts "gangland's" infiltration throughtout this country had better take a closer look.

The Afghanistan heroin trade and 9/11 are not necessarily two separate issues either.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Have suggested the recent Frontline's, "Obama's War".. shows how helpless this whole sitz is, one thing that really stuck was the marines walking by the piles of poppies, that they could not destroy, as they did not want to jeopardized bad feelings because we want to win the "hearts and minds" of the afghan people... not destroying poppies that will turn into heroin, that will flood our cities... unf...ing believable..

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

Sit down Press, I agree with you, drugs are big business in America, our Govt wants it to keep flowing and they want it kept Illegal-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm curious about this walking past the Poppies business. I'll say right now that regardless of how Obama feels, I'm against protecting that filthy plant unless we're talking about the very tiny amount of Opiates that the legitimate drug industry needs, or foot soldiers being ordered to walk away because the flame-thrower guy is on his way.

Openly permitting Heroin production is wrong, period, end of story and if that's what it takes to win their hearts and minds, then F their hearts and minds. Let them learn to grow Corn or something.

14. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Same here; that part stuck out to me as well, I mean how disheartening that must be- a true wtf moment for the troops I'm sure. The amounts of heroin exported from Afghanistan are absolutely staggering and it's not just into the US it's throughout the world. They produce something like 92% of the world's heroin. I forgot where I saw it but somewhere there was an article highlighting how many Afghanis are addicted, apparently many of them are women.

Obama said back in February that one of our non-military goals was to replace the poppy crops so that Afghans can continue to support themselves.
    Newsmaker: Obama Outlines Goals for Afghanistan, Iraq | Online NewsHour | February 27, 2009 | PBS In general the interview centered around Obama's plan for Afghanistan but the fact it was done back in February makes it an interesting read, especially at this particular juncture.

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

all that being said, don't lose sight of the fact that opium is the main ingredient in "legal" pain medications, such as morphine. It has a place, just not when cultivated for hard drug use.

16. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Some excellent furthur reading, all present their case that re-taking control of the opium trade is really why we're there:

The Spoils of War: Afghanistan's Multibillion Dollar Heroin Trade

Addicted to War: America's Brutal Pipe Dream in Afghanistan

NY Times: Afghan Opium Kingpin On CIA Payroll

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

After reviewing this stuff on strengthens my belief that the "War on Drugs" is essentially a feel good program, and our presence in Afghanistan should not be...

18. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Good point about morphine itself though I think many other manufactured narcotics contain synthetic opiates, which supposedly are even more difficult to withdraw from as they chemically target so specifically. Don't even get me started on the "legal" drugs that are prescribed by the tens of millions. :mad: