PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ McCarron

Slagathor

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
It's probably been mentioned on here before but, I would love the Pats to grab this guy.

Something very familiar about him.

Successful career at a big time program.

Average athletic intangibles.

Not overwhelming, but solid consistent numbers.

Smart player.

Winner.

Has that NFL QB look.

Your scouting report pretty much just said "average, average, average". That's pretty accurate in describing McCarron which is why I wouldn't be thrilled in spending a second or third rounder on him.

I have a hunch he's going to go the Vikings in end 2 so hopefully not a problem we need to worry about.

I agree with manxman....I just don't want to use the probable high draft pick (2nd/3rd round) it would take to get him. But I'm open minded behind the idea for drafting AJ McCarron.

He would, I think, make an excellent backup qb--here or elsewhere, for the next few years.

But he'll be 24 when the season begins, so i wonder if he is the best guy to groom to replace TB. Wd love to draft a 20 year old with a high potential.

He would, I think, make an excellent backup qb--here or elsewhere, for the next few years.

But he'll be 24 when the season begins, so i wonder if he is the best guy to groom to replace TB. Wd love to draft a 20 year old with a high potential.

We could have had Kaepernick instead of Ras-IR Dowling. Yeah, that one hurts.

McCarron is a guy who is more of a you pick him because you like his intangibles pick. I would be ok with him in the 6th round or later but have a feeling he will go way sooner.

Pats lack of extra picks this year also hurt. It's too bad we couldn't get a decent deal for the Dowling pick at #33. Because he was just a waste for us. Imagine if that pick had been moved forward to this year's draft instead...

We could have had Kaepernick instead of Ras-IR Dowling. Yeah, that one hurts.

McCarron is a guy who is more of a you pick him because you like his intangibles pick. I would be ok with him in the 6th round or later but have a feeling he will go way sooner.

Pats lack of extra picks this year also hurt. It's too bad we couldn't get a decent deal for the Dowling pick at #33. Because he was just a waste for us. Imagine if that pick had been moved forward to this year's draft instead...

Even though Dowling was awful, it doesn't hurt missing out on the overrated Kaepernick. He wouldn't have seen the field here so it would have been a waste.

Even though Dowling was awful, it doesn't hurt missing out on the overrated Kaepernick. He wouldn't have seen the field here so it would have been a waste.

Showcase him in games where we have a big lead, plenty of teams would pay through the nose for that kind of potential, hand over two 1st picks and he's all yours. Basically the Mallett plan, only this could actually work.

Your scouting report pretty much just said "average, average, average". That's pretty accurate in describing McCarron which is why I wouldn't be thrilled in spending a second or third rounder on him.

I have a hunch he's going to go the Vikings in end 2 so hopefully not a problem we need to worry about.

If I'm the Pats I don't even start to think about McCarron until the 5th. If I'm the GM of almost any other team I don't start to think of him until the 4th. He's a homeless man's Andy Dalton.

There are a number of quarterbacks I prefer to McCarron in this draft, many of whom did not play in as many big games but are better prospects.

I agree Manx, he'll go so high as to not have to worry about it.

There is a much better chance that McCarron being average in college leads to him being a backup type player with the upside of a game manger who can succeed if all the right pieces are around him than that he becomes the next Tom Brady. I like the comparison that Mocking the draft had of Matt Cassel.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back