PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Hawk cut by Packers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting... is he ILB or OLB?

I did not see that one coming.

Hawk has not done much as a pro and 2 Packers have already leapfrogged him for his position...Pass

Per Schefter:

Keep in mind that AJ Hawk had $10.5 million escalator, so Packers wanted to clear it from their books. New deal still could be in line now.

Hawk has not done much as a pro and 2 Packers have already leapfrogged him for his position...Pass

He did have 111 tackles and 3 Ints last year for a super bowl winning defense. I'd say he's at least worth a look.

He did have 111 tackles and 3 Ints last year for a super bowl winning defense. I'd say he's at least worth a look.

I agree, he could be a good player for us.

I thought he was a solid player. I don't think the Packers released him because of poor play, but because of a salary bonus he was due.

Of all the Packers games I've watched, he was a 3-down ILB in their 34 base. Probably will cost to much. An ILB starter is not a high priority need on the team, in my opinion.

Certainly worth a look.

You will have to explain that one to me. He started in the superbowl? :confused:

The Packers simply didn't want to spend 10.5 million on an ILB that is good, but not great.

He's OSU.....

Per Schefter again, Hawk's bro in law's reaction:

What a great way to repay the captain of your defense who helped you win a super bowl.

If it happened last year I would have wanted them to be all over it. I like the guys game. But that was last year. The ILB situation is one that I am extremely comfortable with. The only area I would try to address there via FA or draft is ST/Depth or situational players who can rush the passer or be run stuffers in short yardage situations.

If it were an OLB of his caliber I'd be excited but we don't need another ILB.

He's OSU.....

One would think that the NCAA's winningest program in the past 20 years would produce some NFL talent, no? That's like saying that the NFL's recently winningest program (New England) doesn't produce any kind of talent.

How about--

Eddie George, Cris Carter, Nick Mangold, Keith Byers, AJ Hawk, Na'il Diggs, Joey Galloway, Chris Gamble, Terry Glenn, Anthony Gonzalez, Ted Ginn, Archie Griffen, HOF' er Lou Groza, Ben Hartsock, Santonio Holmes, Malcolm Jenkins, Pepper Johnson??, Mike Jenkins, 1st rounder Andy Katzenmoyer, HOF' er Dante Lavelli, maybe **** LeBeau?, 11 yr NFL vet Kirk Lowdermilk, 20 yr NFL vet Jim Marshall, Donnie Nickey, Mike Nugent, Orlando Pace, Shane Olivea, HOF' er Jim Parker, Ryan Pickett, Ahmad Plummer, Quinn Pit****, Heisman winner Troy Smith, RB Robert Smith, Saints DT Will Smith, Alonzo Spellman, Chris Speilman, Matt Snell, Shawn Springs, Alex Stephanovich, Jack Tatum?, 14 year NFL vet Mike Tomcsak, Tom Tupa, oh yeah--Mike Vrabel?, HOF 'er Paul Warfield, Matt Wilhelm, Dante Whitner, HOF' er Bill Willis, Dan Wilkenson, maybe Antoine Winfield?, Vince Workman, Nate Clements, ---and these are just the guys that anyone would recognize. There are a ton more that the average fan wouldn't know.

Congrats on having one of the absolutely most ignorant posts I have ever read. No offense, nothing personal--you are a like able guy, just need a history lesson involving NCAA programs. And this has nothing to do with rivalries, hatred, etc. You have to give props where props are due.

Just your post alone, "He's OSU......" is ridiculous. Maybe we should stay away from Michigan now too because Shawn Crable didn't work out?

And FWIW--no one (including the Packers) ever questioned Hawk's talent. He started the SB, had 111 tackles, and 3 INT's (not bad for a LB). When you are the 5th overall pick in the draft, you sometimes have to restructure your back-loaded contract. I don't think anyone felt he was ever actually going to achieve a 11 million dollar bonus plus salary.

Last edited:
One would think that the NCAA's winningest program in the past 20 years would produce some NFL talent, no? That's like saying that the NFL's recently winningest program (New England) doesn't produce any kind of talent.

How about--

Eddie George, Cris Carter, Nick Mangold, Keith Byers, AJ Hawk, Na'il Diggs, Joey Galloway, Chris Gamble, Terry Glenn, Anthony Gonzalez, Ted Ginn, Archie Griffen, HOF' er Lou Groza, Ben Hartsock, Santonio Holmes, Malcolm Jenkins, Pepper Johnson??, Mike Jenkins, 1st rounder Andy Katzenmoyer, HOF' er Dante Lavelli, maybe **** LeBeau?, 11 yr NFL vet Kirk Lowdermilk, 20 yr NFL vet Jim Marshall, Donnie Nickey, Mike Nugent, Orlando Pace, Shane Olivea, HOF' er Jim Parker, Ryan Pickett, Ahmad Plummer, Quinn Pit****, Heisman winner Troy Smith, RB Robert Smith, Saints DT Will Smith, Alonzo Spellman, Chris Speilman, Matt Snell, Shawn Springs, Alex Stephanovich, Jack Tatum?, 14 year NFL vet Mike Tomcsak, Tom Tupa, oh yeah--Mike Vrabel?, HOF 'er Paul Warfield, Matt Wilhelm, Dante Whitner, HOF' er Bill Willis, Dan Wilkenson, maybe Antoine Winfield?, Vince Workman, Nate Clements, ---and these are just the guys that anyone would recognize. There are a ton more that the average fan wouldn't know.

Congrats on having one of the absolutely most ignorant posts I have ever read. No offense, nothing personal--you are a like able guy, just need a history lesson involving NCAA programs. And this has nothing to do with rivalries, hatred, etc. You have to give props where props are due.

Just your post alone, "He's OSU......" is ridiculous. Maybe we should stay away from Michigan now too because Shawn Crable didn't work out?

Jeez.

Remove the stick from your posterior before you post. Your list is okay, but nothing compared to the U.

You do realize that including players who suck or who never really played in the NFL doesn't -- erm -- help your argument, right?

Last edited:
Jeez.

Remove the stick from your posterior before you post. Your list is okay, but nothing compared to the U.

You do realize that including players who suck or who never really played in the NFL doesn't -- erm -- help your argument, right?

Who on the list didn't ever play? Even Katzenmoyer showed lots of talent and was a 1st rd pick. I tried to list players that people would recognize, not sure how many truly 'bad' players there are on that list, but yes, I agree they are ALL not super-quality. That's a fair point.

As far as the 'U' goes, they are the #2 winningest program in the past 20 years.

I never questioned them, just gave examples of good, quality players (also well-known linemen, etc) who have had long, established NFL careers. If you are not going to agree with "OSU....." is kind of short-sighted, then you have a personal vendetta too.

He's obviously judging his comment by the recent bust of Vernon Gholston.

Jeez.

So why is OSU a top 5 school all time in producing NFL talent?

The bottom line is that the post "He's OSU........" was just dumb. Especially if OSU has produced almost the same number of NFL caliber guys as the team of thugs that you're considering "The U" (nice championship game btw).

I'm not comparing NCAA teams, and Miami is great, just saying that OSU is also top 5 in NFL talent. There isn't much to disagree about.

And they are 1 and 2 (MIA and OSU) as the highest winning perecentage in the modern era.

It's not like he said "He's Minnesota....." ---he was calling out a highly productive NFL churning school. It was ridiculous, and he is obviously not too well informed.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_NCAA_school_has_produced_the_most_NFL_players

Last edited:
Brady Quinn?

It may another bro-in-law.

It would be amusing if Brady Quinn didn't even get any recognition and had to go by the anonymous 'brother in law' status though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes