PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Edds - SILB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strong enough to move Inside, stack, shed, and tackle?

Strong enough to move Inside, stack, shed, and tackle?

I think so - he played in the box some at Iowa. It won't be a strength issue as much as a technique issue in my opinion... Edds is a quick learner.

Norwood might have a small edge in the run game over Edds, but it isn't even close in coverage. Norwood looked pretty bad, while Edds was GREAT.

Misi is an intriguing idea at SILB.

I think Norwood's (off my board, can't play in space and isn't big enough for the outside) edge is in rushing the passer, everything else goes to Edds.

Edds with ten pounds could do the very nicely,but those ten pounds would have to be added near the shoulders and thighs.

Boy would I sure like to have a third round pick right now...

Ever hear about the guy that found a bag of fifties and *****ed because it wasn't a bag of 100's? Be happy with a first and 3 seconds.

Andrew Edds (as McShay called him...) being behind Philip Dillard?! and 12 others just makes me laugh. McShay is an idiot.

Why pray tell did he say that? What does he not like about this AJ Edds? And who was the poor soul that was judged inferior?

He's ahead of Antonio Coleman (Auburn). McShay doesn't say a thing about him and doesn't have a profile of him. Has him graded as a UDFA at the moment.

Coleman, on the other hand, is ranked as a 3rd round prospect. So I really don't understand what this rating is about.

When you guys mention SILB, what specifically are you referring to? The classic definition is the linebacker who lines up on the TE side. I doubt this is what you all mean since I haven't noticed the Pats adjust the ILB matchups based on the TE formation.

The other common usage is to describe the run stuffing LB. "Stack-n-Shed" and all that stuff. The implication is a bigger, stronger player but possibly sacrificing coverage skills and sideline-to-sideline speed.

In my observations, it seems like Belichick doesn't really have a "strong vs. weak"...just a "right vs. left". Same for the safeties, but that is for another thread. Seems to me that Belichick doesn't want the opposing offense (particularly the QB) to know the responsibilities of the defenders just by a) where they are positioned pre-snap or b) the fact that they are even on the field.

For example, if the same player always has responsibility for run action, I know that play-action will predictably move him (or at least freeze him). Isn't that exactly where any QB would attack with a quick passing game? Since coverage isn't this guy's strong suit anyway, doesn't he quickly become a weak point in the defense against any reasonably proficient passing team?

The problem I think everyone is having is that Guyton has been cast as a weak-only guy...necessarily making Mayo the SILB, which by the definition above doesn't seem to fit well. Guyton isn't a real fit as a 3-4 ILB, strong or weak. He is really a situational guy or a 4-3 OLB. Though he has held up surprisingly well despite being not ideally cast in this role, which is a credit to him.

So in regards to the draft...wouldn't the Pats be looking for an ILB that, "with his versatility, he can line up for a few plays at each linebacker position to keep the offense's blocking schemes having to account for him at all times." That is from the 2008 draft profile of Tyrone McKenzie.

So who does that describe in this draft class? From the little I've seen of him, I'd have to vote for Misi. Though Edds does seem to always be in a position to make plays, the Big Ten isn't really representative of the passing/spread formations he will see in the NFL. The practice reports on him from the Senior Bowl were positive in his ability to "do it all", so maybe he would be a good fit.

Last edited:
When you guys mention SILB, what specifically are you referring to?
I'm referring to a strong run stuffer, preferably one who can at least jam the TE as he releases inside and play an underneath zone capable of undercutting the shallow crossing routes.

Guyton, to my eyes, played better downhill than Mayo last season, but I'd like to use him more in Phifer's old role since he's better in coverage. McKenzie was strong against the run in college playing in a 4-3 defense, he was often off the field on passing downs. Whether he's going to be playing in the 250 range which has worked best for our ILBs is my biggest question once his knee checks out.

One of the things that people haven't mentioned about Edds is that he played for Kirk Ferentz. BB and Ferentz still talk and I wouldn't be surprised if Ferentz has given BB info on picks in the past.

With 3 2nd round picks, the Pats can either trade down with the last one or splurge and "reach" for someone who'd normally be there in the 3rd round.

Actually, this is what I posted earlier in this thread...

Having ties to Ferentz certainly bears watching. Amazingly BB has drafted only 1 Iowa player in the 10 years he's been here - Mike Elgin in the woeful 2007 draft. God knows there have been opportunities (like Charles Godfrey vs. Terrence Wheatley).

Guyton, to my eyes, played better downhill than Mayo last season, but I'd like to use him more in Phifer's old role since he's better in coverage. McKenzie was strong against the run in college playing in a 4-3 defense, he was often off the field on passing downs. Whether he's going to be playing in the 250 range which has worked best for our ILBs is my biggest question once his knee checks out.

I agree Guyton was better than Mayo, but that's not saying much. With Mayo, I think he never recovered from the MCL. He regressed tremendously from his rookie season, particularly when it comes to stacking & shedding.

Mayo will be fine at WILB all 3 downs next season. I'm not sure if Guyton can be a SILB in the base 3-4, and just see him as the Phifer role as you mention.

Unless we get a lot heavier in our DL.

AJ Edds teammate - Pat Angerer is another interesting prospect. Here is a chat I had with him today. He had very nice things to say about AJ and Amari Spievey. Also, I would love to wear a Patriots jersey with "Angerer" on the back.

Pat Angerer Interview

Good interview. Just make sure you put Klug on your list for next season.

Good interview. Just make sure you put Klug on your list for next season.

Klug, Ballard, and Clayborn are VERY HIGH on my list, while Binns could also come out and make a splash. I hope to get to them at Media Day in August.

Actually, this is what I posted earlier in this thread...

Having ties to Ferentz certainly bears watching. Amazingly BB has drafted only 1 Iowa player in the 10 years he's been here - Mike Elgin in the woeful 2007 draft. God knows there have been opportunities (like Charles Godfrey vs. Terrence Wheatley).

While the Pats have only drafted Mike Elgin out of Iowa, they have taken 12 other Players whom played against Iowa during their college tenures. Those players are: Ellis Hobbs, David Thomas, Shawn Crable, Laurence Maroney, Eugene Wilson, Matt Light, Tom Brady, J.R. Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, David Nugent, Christian Mortan , Guss Scott and Marquise Hill.

That's the list I had compiled up to the 2008 draft. I hadn't researched the 2009 Draft to see who Ferentz could have commented on from that Draft.

Klug, Ballard, and Clayborn are VERY HIGH on my list, while Binns could also come out and make a splash. I hope to get to them at Media Day in August.
Is Clayborn related to Raymond Clayborn???

Just throwing this out there... Klug was a beast in the bowl game. And damn, I never realized Iowa had all of these NFL prospects :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes