AJ Edds - SILB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NePatriots

PatsFans.com Draftnik
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
AJ Edds Interview

Says he can add 10 pounds without losing a step, loves to cover/shed blocks, experience playing in the box, etc...

Also had great things to say about teammate Pat Angerer.

Great kid.

Nice interview. Right now he's somewhere in there with Koa Misi and Eric Norwood in the group of potential 3rd round SILB prospects. I'm not sure exactly how to sort them out at this point.

Very smart kid with good coverage ability. He obviously is very confident, and articulate.

Nice interview. Right now he's somewhere in there with Koa Misi and Eric Norwood in the group of potential 3rd round SILB prospects. I'm not sure exactly how to sort them out at this point.

Very smart kid with good coverage ability. He obviously is very confident, and articulate.

Norwood might have a small edge in the run game over Edds, but it isn't even close in coverage. Norwood looked pretty bad, while Edds was GREAT.

Misi is an intriguing idea at SILB.

Last edited:
Boy would I sure like to have a third round pick right now...

Norwood might have a small edge in the run game over Edds, but it isn't even close in coverage. Norwood looked pretty bad, while Edds was GREAT.

Misi is an intriguing idea at SILB.

No argument on Edds vs. Norwood in coverage. I may prefer Misi to both.

Add muscle weight without lossing speed ..... what is this wonder drug i want some.

Add muscle weight without lossing speed ..... what is this wonder drug i want some.

He already played at 251 he said... believe me, Chris Doyle (Iowa S&C) is one of, if not the best in the nation. The Patriots S&C will be able to build on that foundation.

Please don't make implications/accusations wildly.

Last edited:
I was skeptical of Clay Matthews bulking up from 240 to 250 without losing speed, but he appears to have done so successfully.

I love him. He can cover TEs like no-ones business. He would look great in a Pats uni. Major kudos to PatriotsDraft for getting the interview.

Last edited:
He's a legitimate fit.

Boy would I sure like to have a third round pick right now...

With 3 2nd round picks, the Pats can either trade down with the last one or splurge and "reach" for someone who'd normally be there in the 3rd round.

He already played at 251 he said... believe me, Chris Doyle (Iowa S&C) is one of, if not the best in the nation. The Patriots S&C will be able to build on that foundation.

Please don't make implications/accusations wildly.

Sorry i was just kidding. I am all for a SILB last year pre injury
we got the report that mckenzie [sp?] was very impressive in the camp.
He was a very smart and BB was very impressed with him. He is coming off an injury but i am hoping he can give us some thing.
We even had some reports that the future was him and mayo with guyton in nickel.

In that case i would get a bigger ILB who can give us some weight in the middle when we go Nickle with a Safety [3 safety base ] on the TE. We put a LB in the 260/270 ILB in the middle behind vince with guyton in with mayo flanking -assuming we have pulled a DT as we do. we played 50% of snaps in sub packages anyway.
now this ILB will be either play the run or shoot the A/B gap simple .

Last year teams could run on us with 1 less DT for a safety.

Last edited:
He can probably add weight without losing speed because he's not that fast to begin with. ;)

Having ties to Ferentz certainly bears watching. Amazingly BB has drafted only 1 Iowa player in the 10 years he's been here - Mike Elgin in the woeful 2007 draft. God knows there have been opportunities (like Charles Godfrey vs. Terrence Wheatley).

It's called proper strength training. Most people have horrible misconceptions about how to improve strength, speed, power, size, fluidity, flexibility, etc; these poorly informed views then inhibit their ability to reach their physical potential, and often cause injuries because of improper exercise techniques.

Here's something I posted last summer, but I don't think many people read it (I never got any responses):

It always amuses me when people equate strength with mass, and then go on to assume that if you're stronger, you're slower. As an avid fitness buff, I can guarantee you that's not the case, provided you train well. I'm only 5'7, and while my average weight is around 185 or so, during peak physical activity, I quickly add around 20 pounds. Do I look much bulkier? Not really. Am I more powerful? Absolutely. Ironically, because I build strength through dynamic strength training, with a heavy emphasis on isokinetics and plyometrics, I actually become much faster and more fluid as well. It's all about explosive, full-body movements, whereby I also increase my flexibility, quickness, and agility in addition to my power. By training properly, I'm able to recruit more muscle fibres to become fast-twitch muscle, which enables sudden, explosive movement.

People have to get it out of their heads that NFL players do nothing but pump iron. Nutrition and exercise have become sciences, with a focus on bio-mechanics and a keen understanding of what is holistically healthy. Old methods are falling out of favor, and new, safe, effective methods are taking their place.

I do parkour, gymnastics, capoeira, modern dance, physical theatre, swimming, crossfit, bouldering, slacklining, and a variety of other disciplines in order to improve all areas of my physicality. I'll never "max out" because I can always improve something. While I'm not a professional athlete, I am far, far more fit than the average weekend workout warrior. Yet I am not even close to hitting my full potential, and I look forward to the continual improvements I'll make. Besides, men don't fully mature, physically, until their mid-to-late twenties, so I still have a few more years before my body is even fully formed. The same is true for NFL athletes, particularly rookies.

Anyway. One of my pet peeves. :D I'm all for bringing in Edds as a SILB with coverage skills. He's exactly the type of player I want on the Patriots, and I'd love for us to find a way to pick up at least one 3rd rounder, preferably two, in order to snag guys like this. Whether that's trading back or trading overrated players, I don't really care. I just want to improve this team, because something inside me is so much happier when they play with fire, aggression, discipline, and intelligence.

He's been my binkie since go. This guy's going to be Jack Del Rio/Gary Reasoner for somebody.

Now that the pads are off the candidates, we are left with the Combine & Pro Days. Is there any drill or measureable to which we should pay attention in order to determine if kids such as Misi, Edds, Norwood etc. could poss. move inside to SILB - a position not any of the aforementioned has ever played before?

Now that the pads are off the candidates, we are left with the Combine & Pro Days. Is there any drill or measureable to which we should pay attention in order to determine if kids such as Misi, Edds, Norwood etc. could poss. move inside to SILB - a position not any of the aforementioned has ever played before?

There are LBing drills that they do at the combine.. Watching to see if they do it right the first time around is a good thing to do.. I noticed last year that many of the DEs who were going to be moving to OLB did NOT follow instructions the first time through.. It was rather embarassing..

As DaBruinz mentions, there are LB-specific drills at the combine. SILB in a 2-gap 3-4 is a different animal though. 40 yard speed and even 3-cone and short-shuttle aren't as important as being able to stack and shed and handle linemen. In this way, guys with a DL background are at an advantage over traditional LBs, many of whom try to run around blockers rather than take them on. It sort of the other way around - I'd like an LB who I'd project to SILB to do some of the DL drills.

I would certainly look at 3-cone, short shuttle and drills where the prospect has to flip his hips and drop into coverage. But more than anything I would look at how they use their hands to deal with blockers. Jays52 or Box can probably address the specifics in more detail.

Thanks, guys. Maybe a look at a candidate's 225 lift could also give us a clue. I remember Gary Guyton was shockingly weak in this test at the combine, and that's why he should never, ever be a starting LB on a team with legit SB aspirations. To me, he's nothing more than a one-down player & ST contributor.

Thanks, guys. Maybe a look at a candidate's 225 lift could also give us a clue. I remember Gary Guyton was shockingly weak in this test at the combine, and that's why he should never, ever be a starting LB on a team with legit SB aspirations. To me, he's nothing more than a one-down player & ST contributor.

The 225's will give us a glimpse, but you have to use the strength you have. Edds is STRONG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes